Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

15 minutes ago, shiznak said:

A lot of tinfoil conspiracies theory out there on Twitter. Saying the Jays deal was actually a done deal, but Ohtani’s camp/MLB purposely leaked out false information in order to sabotage Ohtani’s chances to sign with the Jays. Forcing the Dodgers to make a final offer. There’s a theory out there that the MLB wanted no part of Ohtani going to Canada.  

Also Robert Herjavec, the guy on the plane that was suppose to carry Ohtani. Is actually a good friend with Ohtani’s agent.

The guy was never going to TO. LA is way closer to home for him. Dodgers win. Blue Jays weren’t even in the game to lose. 

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Super19 said:

Doesn't Ohtani still get the final say at the end of the day tho? So if he wanted to come here, he still could've despite what was leaked and what the MLB wants?

Seeing Ohtani going from LA to LA is just blegh. If it wasn't the Blue Jays, would've love to see him anywhere out of LA (but no Yankees or Red Sox).

Ultimately, I think his heart was always “stay in LA”, but he’s a very private person. He didn’t want any leaks of his decision.

One of the writers for the Dodgers, who is also apart of the Baseball Writers Association and is highly respected, said Othani was signing with the Jays and it was a done deal. I doubt this dude would jeopardize his position, if it was a blatant lie. A lot of people are thinking his own agent leaked this information to this writer, so the Dodgers could ante up and make a final offer, so he can to stay in LA and in America.

In the MLB eyes, it’s better for them if Othani stayed in an American market, because let’s be honest, I highly doubt any American baseball fans will be tuning in to see any Jays’ games if he were to sign with them.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

It was expected, but it still stings....

If they can somehow swing Bellinger, I'll feel a lot better about this offseason, but right now it looks pretty bleak.

One has to believe now that Bellinger will be in the 50M/season range. Ohtani just inflated the market. And Soto turned down 44m x10. 

So there’s Ohtani at the elite level. The next level of guys will be 40-55million now. And your chapman level of players will be 25+. 

The Ohtani deal though and Soto and Bellinger will really push up the qualifying range. It’s probably going to be 25-30million to qualify players now. 

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

A lot of tinfoil conspiracies theory out there on Twitter. Saying the Jays deal was actually a done deal, but Ohtani’s camp/MLB purposely leaked out false information in order to sabotage Ohtani’s chances to sign with the Jays. Forcing the Dodgers to make a final offer. There’s a theory out there that the MLB wanted no part of Ohtani going to Canada.  

Also Robert Herjavec, the guy on the plane that was suppose to carry Ohtani. Is actually a good friend with Ohtani’s agent.

It kind of makes sense though, Canada has no right to excel at America’s game. There’s a reason why very few free agents come to Canada. 

I thought it might be different with a Japanese player, but here we are. I don’t think anyone chooses Canada if they have options. 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

The guy was never going to TO. LA is way closer to home for him. Dodgers win. Blue Jays weren’t even in the game to lose. 

This 200%.

That asshole dodgers reporter got me excited for 5 minutes but he was either trolling or being used as a negotiation pawn.

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This 200%.

That asshole dodgers reporter got me excited for 5 minutes but he was either trolling or being used as a negotiation pawn.

Morosi, yes the more I think about it the more it seems like it Was a troll job in Canada. Because there was not 1 single American reporter/insider that was okay with Canada getting him. 

• ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

It kind of makes sense though, Canada has no right to excel at America’s game. There’s a reason why very few free agents come to Canada. 

I thought it might be different with a Japanese player, but here we are. I don’t think anyone chooses Canada if they have options. 

Why not?

I keep hearing from the America media, that the reason no free agents wants to play in Toronto, is because it’s too cold up in the north. Like, do they not realize baseball is played in the summer. Even, if it’s raining. The Jays play in a dome, in a controlled environment. Something Ohtani is familiar with.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

Why not?

I keep hearing from the America media, that the reason no free agents wants to play in Toronto, is because it’s too cold up in the north. Like, do they not realize baseball is played in the summer. Even, if it’s raining. The Jays play in a dome, in a controlled environment. Something Ohtani is familiar with.

Yeah, that narrative doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. Springer, Gausman, Bassit, Kikuchi.....all free agent signings....and that's just off the top of my head. IIRC, Berrios was also re-signed after being trade to TO....

• Cheers 1

https://torontosun.com/sports/baseball/toronto-blue-jays/blue-jays-ace-kevin-gausman-lashes-out-at-americans-bleeping-on-toronto

Blue Jays ace Kevin Gausman lashes out at Americans (bleeping) on Toronto

'I hate seeing people talk s___ about Toronto like they know it,'

Were Blue Jays players following the chase for Shohei Ohtani from afar? You better believe they were given the potential the high stakes pursuit could have had on their team.

And as the drama unfolded and ultimately the fallout from the team losing out on the Japanese superstar became a dump on Toronto narrative in some corners of the U.S., one prominent Toronto player wasn’t impressed with the toxic reaction.

Starting pitcher Kevin Gausman, a Cy Young Award finalist in 2023, lashed out at some of the negatives slights to his in-season workplace that he was reading from Americans crapping on Toronto.

“I hate seeing people talk s*** about Toronto like they know it,” Gausman posted on X, formerly known as Twitter. “If you live in Toronto you know how special it is and how passionate the people are.”

It’s worth noting that Gausman wasn’t pandering to the fan base – far from it. He’s been an outspoken proponent of the city since he signed a five-year $110 million US deal with the team on Dec. 1, 2021. Gausman has willingly shared his affinity for the city’s food scene, the neighbourhood he lives in and the general vibe for Toronto that he sees as a good fit for his young family.

While on a much smaller scale than Ohtani’s free agent journey, Gausman was also thorough in his research before signing with the team. Both Gausman and his wife were impressed with the city on their free agent visits and embraced Toronto from the moment they have arrived.

The Gausman family settled in North York and tried to live as normal lives as possible in a city they intended not to just view as a temporary workplace.

He caused a fun sensation in the middle of the season when he went to X and informed his followers that he was seeking the best cinnamon rolls in the city. The response was a overwhelming for the 32-year-old native of Colorado, just as his latest social media post figures to be.

As much as we (VAN) have this sorta rivalry with TO, I'm loving this from Gaus. 

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

Why not?

Because of the high taxes and because of the cost of living. Also the Americans seem to prefer their own place… like almost a fear of the unknown unless they’re paid highly.  Mostly I’d like to think it’s economical, because Toronto is definitely the nicest city in Canada and one of the nicest in the world. 

BTW: Took a gander at UFA 3rd basemen and it's not pretty. Chapman is the only one worth anything, (unless you take a chance on soon to be 40 year old Justin Turner or Evan Longoria) meaning he's likely going to be hugely overpaid.

As much as I hate to say it, the Jays will probably need to platoon Espinal and Biggio at 2nd and 3rd. Guys like Clement and Schneider can step in and hopefully produce as well, until Orelvis is ready for prime time.

They need to add a power outfield bat, as well as a DH, who can occasionally play at 1st. (Rhys Hoskins, maybe?) It would be ideal if the outfielder was left handed as well....which leads back to Bellinger.

I also, really like the idea of somehow signing this Japanese pitcher who is being made available (easier said that done, I know) and then using pitching depth to trade for a bat....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The MLB is a joke. How can you be allowed to defer 97% of your salary for 10 years to get away from paying the luxury tax?  

If this were the Canucks we would lose 10 first round draft picks. 

So does la get hit with it all at once 10 years from now?

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The MLB is a joke. How can you be allowed to defer 97% of your salary for 10 years to get away from paying the luxury tax?  

If this were the Canucks we would lose 10 first round draft picks. 

Okay maybe he not a broke bitch

Ohtani sponsors: New Balance, Fanatics, Hugo Boss, Seiko, Oakley, Porsche

McDavid sponsors: CIBC, BetMGM, Go Auto.

So one guy is gonna be dripped up from head to toe with a sweet ride.  And the other... gets a free eAdvantage savings account, some free poker chips, and a top quality, previously owned Toyota Camry.  Who said the NHL has no marketability??

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So does la get hit with it all at once 10 years from now?

They must get hit all at once.  Of course 10 years from now the bar for the luxury tax will probably be higher.  Might also give LA 10 years to get the luxury tax turfed.  Anyway you slice it, it's Mickey Mouse.  All teams should do this now so the MLB has to make changes.  Of course the Jays will do this next, and get the @Elias Petterssonpunishment :classic_unsure:

56 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

BTW: Took a gander at UFA 3rd basemen and it's not pretty. Chapman is the only one worth anything, (unless you take a chance on soon to be 40 year old Justin Turner or Evan Longoria) meaning he's likely going to be hugely overpaid.

As much as I hate to say it, the Jays will probably need to platoon Espinal and Biggio at 2nd and 3rd. Guys like Clement and Schneider can step in and hopefully produce as well, until Orelvis is ready for prime time.

They need to add a power outfield bat, as well as a DH, who can occasionally play at 1st. (Rhys Hoskins, maybe?) It would be ideal if the outfielder was left handed as well....which leads back to Bellinger.

I also, really like the idea of somehow signing this Japanese pitcher who is being made available (easier said that done, I know) and then using pitching depth to trade for a bat....

Maybe it's a pessimism hangover from the weekend, but I see the Jays getting outbid on Hoskins, Bellinger, and the Japenese pitcher (they'll be "2nd place" in all of them, just to drive up price).  All the big American markets are active with what's little available this FA period and the Jays will be left with...platooning Espinal and Biggio.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

They must get hit all at once.  Of course 10 years from now the bar for the luxury tax will probably be higher.  Might also give LA 10 years to get the luxury tax turfed.  Anyway you slice it, it's Mickey Mouse.  All teams should do this now so the MLB has to make changes.  Of course the Jays will do this next, and get the @Elias Petterssonpunishment :classic_unsure:

Maybe it's a pessimism hangover from the weekend, but I see the Jays getting outbid on Hoskins, Bellinger, and the Japenese pitcher (they'll be "2nd place" in all of them, just to drive up price).  All the big American markets are active with what's little available this FA period and the Jays will be left with...platooning Espinal and Biggio.

It's pretty bad. Given how complex this is, it's very clear TO had no chance. This must have been weeks in planning and getting league approval.