Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Okay maybe he not a broke bitch

Ohtani sponsors: New Balance, Fanatics, Hugo Boss, Seiko, Oakley, Porsche

McDavid sponsors: CIBC, BetMGM, Go Auto.

So one guy is gonna be dripped up from head to toe with a sweet ride.  And the other... gets a free eAdvantage savings account, some free poker chips, and a top quality, previously owned Toyota Camry.  Who said the NHL has no marketability??

The Canucks players get some sweet deals from Basant Motors.  Apparently some of the cars they get are even new and not used.  

8 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

I’m pretty sure players not named Ohtani, McDavid, Lebron, or Mahomes will want their money immediately.

Good point.  Although on a short timer frame and not as extreme cuts, I wonder if players would be willing to do it.  Say, take 8 of 25 million over 5 years, defer the rest.  I can't believe the luxury tax has this loophole.  Obviously written by the Yankees and the Dodgers of the world.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No the payments get spread out over 10 years from 2034-2043. 

Is the money he gets then pegged to the inflation rate of the previous ten years?  Or will it still be 70 million over 10 years?

Also, he seems to be forgoing the money to be made on interest or capital gains over the next ten years.

Putting aside the ridiculous amounts of money some athletes make, this all seems very odd.

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Is the money he gets then pegged to the inflation rate of the previous ten years?  Or will it still be 70 million over 10 years?

Also, he seems to be forgoing the money to be made on interest or capital gains over the next ten years.

Putting aside the ridiculous amounts of money some athletes make, this all seems very odd.

He won't be receiving any interest on the deferred money.  He'll get $68 million a year for 10 years starting in 2034...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He won't be receiving any interest on the deferred money.  He'll get $68 million a year for 10 years starting in 2034...

Indeed.  Dodgers are banking on a steady inflation rate to save some cash.  And Ohtani might be pulling some shenanigans to avoid paying California taxes on that $680M.  

I actually think Japan has a higher tax rate, so I fully expect him to sign a 1 year deal somewhere with almost no taxes.  Miami is a prime option.  If he can't play anymore, straight to Bahamas.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Indeed.  Dodgers are banking on a steady inflation rate to save some cash.  And Ohtani might be pulling some shenanigans to avoid paying California taxes on that $680M.  

I actually think Japan has a higher tax rate, so I fully expect him to sign a 1 year deal somewhere with almost no taxes.  Miami is a prime option.  If he can't play anymore, straight to Bahamas.

Yes.  He could move to Florida in 2034 and save millions in taxes.  He's making over $50 million right now with endorsements, so after retirement he will continue to make huge dollars for 10 more years afterwards.  It's actually a smart move by Ohtani.  He doesn't need the $68 million right now.  So it's forced savings for him.  The only risk is the Dodgers go bankrupt.  The chances of that from a legacy team like the Dodgers is practically zero...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  He could move to Florida in 2034 and save millions in taxes.  He's making over $50 million right now with endorsements, so after retirement he will continue to make huge dollars for 10 more years afterwards.  It's actually a smart move by Ohtani.  He doesn't need the $68 million right now.  So it's forced savings for him.  The only risk is the Dodgers go bankrupt.  The chances of that from a legacy team like the Dodgers is practically zero...

HA!  The salary might bankrupt the team after he gets paid.  And then he would just pull a Super Mario and buy the team.  It's Shotime in LA.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Good point.  Although on a short timer frame and not as extreme cuts, I wonder if players would be willing to do it.  Say, take 8 of 25 million over 5 years, defer the rest.  I can't believe the luxury tax has this loophole.  Obviously written by the Yankees and the Dodgers of the world.

Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid by the Mets.

Japanese pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto is set to meet with the Jays and Red Sox, after already meeting with the Yankees earlier today. This after Mets owner Steve Cohen flew to Japan to meet with him.

Maybe we should have a poll about which team the Jays will ultimately lose out to.....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Apparently bellingers fiancee posted a pic of the Toronto skyline recently, so everyone was going crazy that it meant Cody was signing with the Jays, turns out she is a model and there was a fashion show there

Amazing how people can get sucked in again, so soon after the Ohtani false rumors....

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

^this

the tax savings for where ever he ends up must have outweighed the potential time value of the funds.

1 minute ago, runningback33 said:

I hope the Jays sign someone soon

Still hoping for Bellinger, but in true Blue Jays fashion, I expect them to strike out....They'll probably end up with a couple of mid-level guys who they hope will catch lightning in a bottle and make them look like geniuses....

I'm actually a bit surprised they weren't in on Rowdy Tellez. A lefty DH with power who can play 1st occasionally is a organizational need.....and Tellez pretty much fits the exact caliber of player I expect them to be able to land....

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

The rich get richer.....:classic_dry:

The Dodgers are quickly overtaking the Yankees as the team I most enjoy seeing lose....

That feels like an incredibly low return for someone who's been one of the better pitchers when he's healthy.