Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Still hoping for Bellinger, but in true Blue Jays fashion, I expect them to strike out....They'll probably end up with a couple of mid-level guys who they hope will catch lightning in a bottle and make them look like geniuses....

I'm actually a bit surprised they weren't in on Rowdy Tellez. A lefty DH with power who can play 1st occasionally is an organizational need.....and Tellez pretty much fits the exact caliber of player I expect them to be able to land....

Yes Tellez would have been a good pick up

Just now, Pears said:

That feels like an incredibly low return for someone who's been one of the better pitchers when he's healthy. 

It does, but the years of watching the Rays beat the Jays with less than half the payroll have taught me to never underestimate their ability to recognize player potential....

I fully expect to be thinking "Man, I wish we had these guys" in a few years....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Baseball writer Jon Heyman thinks that the Bellinger sweepstakes are down to the Jays and Cubs....so we know Bellinger will be in Chicago next season, but he's also talking about a potential deal between the jays and Brewers for Christian Yelich, which is intriguing....

No idea what the Jays would have to give up, but my guess is that the package wouldn't be all that different than the one they were talking about for Soto....

...and really, with the money that's flying around right now, Yelich's 26 million per looks like peanuts....

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Baseball writer Jon Heyman thinks that the Bellinger sweepstakes are down to the Jays and Cubs....so we know Bellinger will be in Chicago next season, but he's also talking about a potential deal between the jays and Brewers for Christian Yelich, which is intriguing....

No idea what the Jays would have to give up, but my guess is that the package wouldn't be all that different than the one they were talking about for Soto....

...and really, with the money that's flying around right now, Yelich's 26 million per looks like peanuts....

I say to hell with it and go get both Yelich and Bellinger. A Yelich-Bellinger-Varsho/Springer outfield would be right there with the Yankees. 

• Cheers 1

This isn't ten years ago and Yelich does not have the same legs or arm. Bellinger has been very injury prone since 2000 and I am not convinced his defense is where it needs to be to command the type of money he is asking for. 

MVPs aren't going to change my mind with respect to defense, but Gold Gloves -  Vladdy has one too, how'd he do on defense this year?

3 hours ago, Colonel D said:

This isn't ten years ago and Yelich does not have the same legs or arm. Bellinger has been very injury prone since 2000 and I am not convinced his defense is where it needs to be to command the type of money he is asking for. 

MVPs aren't going to change my mind with respect to defense, but Gold Gloves -  Vladdy has one too, how'd he do on defense this year?

Ohhhh nooooes, 23 years of injury history??

In all seriousness though it looks like he was part of a platoon the last 2 years or on load management. Playing 140 games/year isn’t nothing to shake your head at. anything under 30 would be not bad. 

And Yelich would be not bad at 26. Imagine getting 2 guys that could combine for 70 homeruns at 56 million in comparison to one guy that hits 56 homeruns for 70 million

I hesitate to post this, since we've been burned so many times before....but the Jays are apparently the "favorite" to sign Cody Bellinger:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-have-emerged-as-the-favourite-to-sign-cody-bellinger-who-s-seeking-200-million-plus-on-contract/ar-AA1lDO6Y?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=456e13b232744faca8a2ca028456e5d2&ei=16

The reported ask from Beliinger's camp being "north of $200 million", I'm guessing it would be a 5 or 6 year deal if they could come to terms.

In a perfect world: The Jays sign both Bellinger and Yamamoto, then trade Manoah +++ for Jose Ramirez.....:classic_cool:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I hesitate to post this, since we've been burned so many times before....but the Jays are apparently the "favorite" to sign Cody Bellinger:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-have-emerged-as-the-favourite-to-sign-cody-bellinger-who-s-seeking-200-million-plus-on-contract/ar-AA1lDO6Y?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=456e13b232744faca8a2ca028456e5d2&ei=16

The reported ask from Beliinger's camp being "north of $200 million", I'm guessing it would be a 5 or 6 year deal if they could come to terms.

In a perfect world: The Jays sign both Bellinger and Yamamoto, then trade Manoah +++ for Jose Ramirez.....:classic_cool:

image.jpeg.09be31b70e1e16e9cc5a62510e1708b1.jpeg

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I don’t want to get hyped so I’ll just hope for the best when it comes to signings for the Jays

2 hours ago, Pears said:

I’d rather see what clement/Schneider have to offer in that spot. We really need a 3rd baseman, an out fielder and a power bat. Along with bullpen help.

I also hope that manoah and the organization is back to amicable. Because it looks like to me that Alek has been getting to work in the gym. 

10 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I’d be down with that. But I think the blue jays deep pockets are being used to drive up costs on other teams. 

• Vintage 1

Kind of on the fence on Bellinger. On one hand, he’s coming off a comeback year, and is a former NL MVP. On the other hand, last year might be an outline, knowing he’s a pending UFA. He also had multiple injuries and doesn’t really hit for power anymore. He’s pretty much a younger left handed Springer.

Playing in Wringley is also a factor. One of the friendliest hitter’s ballpark. Especially for left handed batters.

At this point though, he’s probably the best batting option for the Jays. Unless they can swing a deal for J-Ram. 

Edited by shiznak

9 hours ago, Gurn said:

Seems like Cody would cost a lot, but only perform at 'good' level.

The Jays are in a tough spot. They only have a couple more years before Vladdy and Bo are UFAs. They have to try and win now, which means they have to spend money is a sellers market, unless they can swing a trade for an impact player or two.

The other option is to plug the holes with second tier guys and hope they have career years and then throw the bank at Juan Soto next year. The problem with that is if you strike out with him, then you're in the same spot, but you've burned a year of Vladdy and Bo, as well as the guys in your rotation....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

The Jays are in a tough spot. They only have a couple more years before Vladdy and Bo are UFAs. They have to try and win now, which means they have to spend money is a sellers market, unless they can swing a trade for an impact player or two.

The other option is to plug the holes with second tier guys and hope they have career years and then throw the bank at Juan Soto next year. The problem with that is if you strike out with him, then you're in the same spot, but you've burned a year of Vladdy and Bo, as well as the guys in your rotation....

The real crappy thing is that they’re sitting at 122 million already and the players they are estimated to sign to arbitration and pre-arbitration deals has their salary estimated to be at 198 million, that’s without signing any free agents… so if they’re to get Bellinger, a 3rd baseman with pedigree and another high end pitcher, they’ll have to be about 250 million in salary this year. 

But I say go for it the next 2-5 years. Possibly try to do what the dodgers did and defer some salary for 5-10 years down the road as we’ll most likely be rebuilding anyways. 

• Cheers 1

If the Jays want to do a bit of rummaging in the bargain bin, the Braves have released DH/1B Matt Carpenter.

Carpenter looked to be having a career resurgence two years ago with the Yankees (and their short porch in RF) when a foul ball off his foot derailed his season. After signing with the Padres and then being traded to the Braves, MC looked more like a 38 year old, with a declining contact rate and exit velocity....

Still, being released means anyone could have him for the league minimum, with the Braves and Padres paying the rest of the money he's owed. (around 5 million, IIRC) If he can regain his 2022 form (or at least some of it) he could provide the Jays with a left handed power bat in the DH spot, or at first, if Vladdy gets the day off. If he continues to decline, the Jays can let him go, with very little cost....

• Upvote 1