Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

On 12/28/2023 at 5:47 PM, Wilbur said:

Things don't look great for the Jays so far this off season, but at least it's not in the Wander Franco territory :classic_unsure:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/rays-shortstop-wander-franco-fails-to-appear-at-prosecutors-office-amid-investigation/

Tampa looks to be much weaker losing Glasnow, Margo and Franco…. But that being said they always seem to be a top level team with the way they develop prospects and manage what they have. 

6 hours ago, Colonel D said:

Sign Bellinger, Sign Chapman, Sign Votto, Trade Manoah for picks and salvage the off season

No thanks on Chapman for what he’s asking for.

After striking out on Ohtani and Soto. The Jays should go all-in on J-Ram.

- Trade Manoah, Kirk, Espinal, Tiedemann, and Barger for Ramirez and Bieber.

- Sign Gary Sanchez and one of Hoskins, JD Martinez, or last resort Votto.

Call it an off-season.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

No thanks on Chapman for what he’s asking for.

After striking out on Ohtani and Soto. The Jays should go all-in on J-Ram.

- Trade Manoah, Kirk, Espinal, Tiedemann, and Barger for Ramirez and Bieber.

- Sign Gary Sanchez and one of Hoskins, JD Martinez, or last resort Votto.

Call it an off-season.

image.gif.90594e9678ed2145b4c1ad7a6d4dc481.gif

^ Arms look good, and as long as his mid section isn't being held in by a girdle- looking great.

He's been a MLB guy for so long, I sometimes forget he is just turning 25 on March 16, 2024

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

lol the off season for the jays is so lackluster.. do they even have enough to make the WC.. baltimore and new york are probably ahead of them.. tampa will always be there.. feels like it's going to be jays astro/mariner/rangers and maybe tampa fighting for 2 wc spot.. i think baltimore and yankee will runaway with the division and the 1st wc

So......I log into Sportsnet.ca this morning and there's a headline that says Atkins could still add to the Jays' roster, but "feels really good" with how it's constructed.....

To that I say, "Really? WTF" :classic_huh:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

So......I log into Sportsnet.ca this morning and there's a headline that says Atkins could still add to the Jays' roster, but "feels really good" with how it's constructed.....

I fully agree with you. We don’t have a proven 3rd baseman. We don’t have that power LH bat. We could use another Fireballer in the Pen and probably a swingman or 5/6 pitcher depending on what happens with Manoah. 

We have an abundance of utility/bench middle infielders that we should trade for organizational needs. We need also a 3rd catcher that we can call up.  

I think there’s lots of work to be done, unless we’re going to rebuild. Maybe it’s a bargaining ploy by Atkins.  Especially when agents seem to be using the blue jays as a “decoy” to drive contracts up. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Lol, I had a laugh at "IKF is a great fit on the roster"...

...yeah, run suppression on offense and defense

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952e17hhu9jwy3hp4kv1r

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

you could argue that they did underperform last season. If Vladdy has a breakout year and no starters crap the bed things could be pretty interesting. A lot of close games tho. 

52 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Lol, I had a laugh at "IKF is a great fit on the roster"...

...yeah, run suppression on offense and defense

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952e17hhu9jwy3hp4kv1r

Yeah, he's basically this year's Whit Merrifield. Better with the glove, but nowhere near as good with the stick....

40 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

you could argue that they did underperform last season. If Vladdy has a breakout year and no starters crap the bed things could be pretty interesting. A lot of close games tho. 

I don't think you'd have to argue it, Jimmy. They absolutely underperformed.

That being said, basing your roster decisions on the premise that half of your lineup is going to have a bounce back offensive season seems like a pretty poor strategy to me....

If it works, you look like a genius for not messing with the prospect pool, but if it fails, it's going to look even worse than the collapse of the past two seasons.....

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That being said, basing your roster decisions on the premise that half of your lineup is going to have a bounce back offensive season seems like a pretty poor strategy to me....

If it works, you look like a genius for not messing with the prospect pool, but if it fails, it's going to look even worse than the collapse of the past two seasons.....

Bringing back the same manager and coaches isn't a step towards fixing the underperformance.  The plus side is that the prospect pool will be intact next off-season for the new management to do a proper rebuild once the morons in the front office are fired.  The window is being completely squandered by the gross incompetence of Shartkins.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Going for Ohtani and failing means it's all going to look shitty. 

But they do have a great starting rotation and if Vladdy wants the huge bucks he needs to dominate.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:32 PM, Bob Long said:

Going for Ohtani and failing means it's all going to look shitty. 

But they do have a great starting rotation and if Vladdy wants the huge bucks he needs to dominate.

I don’t think that’s why it looks shitty. I think it looks shitty because they replaced Chapman, Merrifield, Belt and Hicks with IKF… who’s an okay middle fielder but will be lucky to hit .220, with 10HR at the very high end.  They’ll need career years from everyone if they hope to finish higher in the AL East than 4th. 
  They didn’t even fire their hitting coach who was clearly a problem when the whole team batted below expectations and how Schneider kept his job after pulling his Ace’s 2 years in a row in elimination games when they were dealing is beyond me. 
   I think if the Blue jays don’t trade/sign a dominant 3B and a power batting Lefty, they’ll probably be selling and rebuilding by early August. 

Jays are in the bottom 1/5th in terms of farm system rankings and realistically have 2 years to try to make a run. So if they don’t go all in these 2 years, expect a 5-10 year rebuild coming soon. 

• Upvote 1