Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

11 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Teo to the Dodgers.

And only 8.5 million deferred.

I wonder what the Dodgers salary cap would be if they didn't defer any money?  And why do I get the feeling that by 2030, when all this deferred money comes to roost, the luxury tax won't be a thing anymore.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Teo to the Dodgers.

Crazy thing is some baseball analysts have him sitting 7th in the batting order. I’d personally have him 6th. But imagine having a guy that will hit between 25-30 homers and usually bats around .260 as your 7th hitter????  That’s a crazy deep lineup. 

I really hope that Atlanta or the reds somehow beat them in the playoffs. Because they’re trying to buy another championship. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It's just absolute bullshit....why even pretend to have any kind of salary restrictions....

I love Teo and Freddie, but I hope their team crashes and burns.....:classic_dry:

I'm still torn.  The Dodgers succeeding may be the catalyst needed to revisit the idea of a hard salary cap.

• Upvote 1

Report: Yankees agree to sign former Blue Jays P Stroman to two-year deal

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/report-new-york-yankees-agree-to-sign-former-blue-jays-p-marcus-stroman-to-two-year-deal-1.2061400

The New York Yankees have agreed to a two-year deal worth $37 million with pitcher Marcus Stroman, per multiple reports. The deal includes a vesting option for a third year. 

On 1/9/2024 at 7:27 AM, RupertKBD said:

It's just absolute bullshit....why even pretend to have any kind of salary restrictions....

I love Teo and Freddie, but I hope their team crashes and burns.....:classic_dry:

Technically, the Dodgers deliberately left a ton of salary open for this offseason.  They had a long-term (at least a year) plan in place, and they executed it to perfection.

38 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Report: Yankees agree to sign former Blue Jays P Stroman to two-year deal

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/report-new-york-yankees-agree-to-sign-former-blue-jays-p-marcus-stroman-to-two-year-deal-1.2061400

The New York Yankees have agreed to a two-year deal worth $37 million with pitcher Marcus Stroman, per multiple reports. The deal includes a vesting option for a third year. 

But will he get to keep that little crustache?  Might have to trim the corners a bit...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/baseball/blue-jays-reach-deals-with-11-of-12-players-ahead-of-arbitration-guerrero-is-the-lone-exception/ar-AA1mQaY9?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b3dec384bf39428cbc29ab8d7c2ae721&ei=7

"The Blue Jays agreed to deals with catchers Danny Jansen ($5.2 million) and Alejandro Kirk ($2.8 million), infielders Cavan Biggio ($4.2 million) and Santiago Espinal ($2,725,000), outfielder Daulton Varsho ($5.65 million), left-handed pitchers Génesis Cabrera ($1,512,000) and Tim Mayza ($3.59 million), and right-handed pitchers Jordan Romano ($7.75 million), Erik Swanson ($2.75 million), Trevor Richards ($2.15 million) and Nate Pearson ($800,000).

----------------------------------------

Guerrero can still negotiate a deal with the team before a hearing. Eligible players without agreements will be scheduled for hearings before three-person panels from Jan. 29 through Feb. 16 in Scottsdale, Arizona.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/baseball/blue-jays-reach-deals-with-11-of-12-players-ahead-of-arbitration-guerrero-is-the-lone-exception/ar-AA1mQaY9?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b3dec384bf39428cbc29ab8d7c2ae721&ei=7

"The Blue Jays agreed to deals with catchers Danny Jansen ($5.2 million) and Alejandro Kirk ($2.8 million), infielders Cavan Biggio ($4.2 million) and Santiago Espinal ($2,725,000), outfielder Daulton Varsho ($5.65 million), left-handed pitchers Génesis Cabrera ($1,512,000) and Tim Mayza ($3.59 million), and right-handed pitchers Jordan Romano ($7.75 million), Erik Swanson ($2.75 million), Trevor Richards ($2.15 million) and Nate Pearson ($800,000).

----------------------------------------

Guerrero can still negotiate a deal with the team before a hearing. Eligible players without agreements will be scheduled for hearings before three-person panels from Jan. 29 through Feb. 16 in Scottsdale, Arizona.

God I hope they don't f it up with Vladdy 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Looks like Jordan Hicks has signed with the Giants: https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/report-former-blue-jays-rhp-hicks-agrees-to-four-year-44m-deal-with-giants/

At least the Jays won't have to face him on a regular basis....

Interesting decision to put him in the rotation as well. In the limited games I saw him in, he throws bombs, but doesn’t have much finesse.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

That seems like an overpayment to me 

When you consider the fact that the Jays re-upped JR for $7.75 million, is does look that way.

Maybe the G-Men think that Hicks can close for them.

17 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Interesting decision to put him in the rotation as well. In the limited games I saw him in, he throws bombs, but doesn’t have much finesse.

Didn't even see that part.

I guess if he can become a solid starter, the deal makes sense for SF....

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

When you consider the fact that the Jays re-upped JR for $7.75 million, is does look that way.

I think they got wowed by his speed and maybe scared to stand pat given LAs moves

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

He dials up to 103-105mph on a regular basis with control. Is stuff has nice movement and he can usually locate in the zone.  But he never really found his trademark stuff in Toronto beyond his velocity. 

9 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yea but JR has no rights really. He could have taken them to Arbitration but it’s so old school in baseball rarely do players get anything good. Blue jays are doing this deal as an overpayment to JR in hopes that he returns the favour when he has enough MLB Service to acquire free agent rights.