Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

On 1/9/2024 at 7:27 AM, RupertKBD said:

It's just absolute bullshit....why even pretend to have any kind of salary restrictions....

I love Teo and Freddie, but I hope their team crashes and burns.....:classic_dry:

I agree with this sentiment. They’re the new evil empire and they’ve deferred like a billion in salary, hard to not be pissed off and hope that Cincy or Atlanta upsets them. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Colonel D said:

Sign Chapman, Sign Soler, Sign Merrifield, Sign Votto

Trade Schneider, IKF and Manoah for picks

And off we go after that.

Pretty sure you can't trade picks in baseball

8 hours ago, Colonel D said:

This is MLB, rules change every year

The rule has been established since MLB's first draft in 1965. The reasoning behind the rule was that the league didn't want cash-strapped teams — especially from small markets — to "mortgage their future" by selling the top picks of the draft to large-market teams for quick income.

Imagine the hockey equivalent of that… basically the maple leafs could buy all top 10 picks annually if teams were willing to sell them. 

Mets sign Vladimir Guerrero Jr.'s brother

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/new-york-mets-sign-vladimir-guerrero-jr-s-brother-vladi-miguel-guerrero-1.2062724

The New York Mets have signed 16-year-old international free agent Vladi Miguel Guerrero, the brother of Toronto Blue Jays star Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and son of Hall of Famer Vladimir Guerrero.

The younger Guerrero was one of several prospects the Mets signed to their system on Monday with the opening of the international signing period. Reports indicated the deal included a signing bonus of about $110,000.

According to The Athletic's Will Sammon, Guerrero is an outfielder/first baseman who has middle-of-the-order potential from the left side of the plate. Sammon previously reported the Mets were expected to reach an agreement with the teenage prospect once the signing period opened. 

The Mets have brought in starters right-hander Luis Severino and lefty Sean Manaea and outfielder Harrison Bader as part of their moves so far this off-season.

Edited by runningback33
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Report: Jays, Cuban pitcher Rodriguez in agreement on deal

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-cuban-pitcher-yariel-rodriguez-in-agreement-on-deal-1.2063823

That's good news.....if they can close the deal....

....unfortunately, they still have a gigantic hole in the offense. Not sure what the holdup is on some of these other FA's.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That's good news.....if they can close the deal....

....unfortunately, they still have a gigantic hole in the offense. Not sure what the holdup is on some of these other FA's.

I'd still like Bellinger and/or Soler too. Rodriguez would be a nice get but good pitching can only do so much if our offense sputters like it did last year. 

• Cheers 1

As the old saying goes, "you can never have too much pitching".....

He would be Manoah insurance for sure, but he'd also be Kikuchi insurance and possibly even Berrios insurance.

That's not to say that the Jays won't do as Jimmy suggests and move Manoah for a bat. I hate trading guys when their value is low, but it kind of sounds like there were some bridges burned, and Shatkins might have to pull the trigger and hope for the best,

36 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Or now they can trade Manoah.

I hope Manoah can recover… so that they don’t sell low on him, but that hope is bleak as he’s blown away most of his Blue Jay associations away from his social media. 

But Rodriguez gives them flexibility and he can work as long relief or as a swingman if need be. His stuff is good too. 

Solid FA signing by the Jays

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

As the old saying goes, "you can never have too much pitching".....

He would be Manoah insurance for sure, but he'd also be Kikuchi insurance and possibly even Berrios insurance.

That's not to say that the Jays won't do as Jimmy suggests and move Manoah for a bat. I hate trading guys when their value is low, but it kind of sounds like there were some bridges burned, and Shatkins might have to pull the trigger and hope for the best,

One guy consistently shits the bed over the last few years thanks to Pete Walker.

According to Blue Jays Nation, the Jays have signed Yariel Rodriguez:

I watched a bit of video and it looks like his success is based on a 4 seamer that he likes to throw up in the zone and tops out at around 97 MPH....and a wipeout slider that averages in the mid-80's....he's also has a changeup and splitter, but doesn't throw them very often.

Looks a bit like Jordan Romano's pitching arsenal, actually....

19 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I hope Manoah can recover… so that they don’t sell low on him, but that hope is bleak as he’s blown away most of his Blue Jay associations away from his social media. 

I don't really get why he's mad at the Jays, he was given every chance to find his game again.

It seemed to me like he showed up in poor condition to start the year and it went bad from there.

19 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

But Rodriguez gives them flexibility and he can work as long relief or as a swingman if need be. His stuff is good too. 

Solid FA signing by the Jays

Im bummed Chapman moved on but maybe there's more signings or trades to come now that this deal is in place.

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I don't really get why he's mad at the Jays, he was given every chance to find his game again.

It seemed to me like he showed up in poor condition to start the year and it went bad from there.

Im bummed Chapman moved on but maybe there's more signings or trades to come now that this deal is in place.

you’re absolutely right about the conditioning. I had heard that he showed up to spring training weight 285.  But this very organization did the same with Doc Halladay and turned him into a premier pitcher. 
  My hope is that Manoah was just embarrassed after such a successful year. We’ll find out a lot about his character and mental strength in the next few months. I would think he’d be a fool to leave a staff that has veterans like Berrios, Gausman and Bassit that he can learn from. 

as for Chapman, I liked him, but his offence just wasn’t there. That’s why I think you’re seeing him still available. He turned down a 20M/year option to stay with us… but apparently they might be circling back to us as the market isn’t what they thought it would be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Oh yeah....and some baseball pundit, (whose name I forget) says the Jays are the "favorite" to sign Jorge Soler, so take that FWIW....:classic_rolleyes:

Heyman. I think there’s some fire where there’s smoke. Soler being Cuban along with Rodriguez makes sense. Sometimes teams will try to make guys less homesick so that they excel and one method is to bring in people from the same region.  So I could see it happening now more then before. 

I’d be okay with it, but I’d really prefer a power hitting left hander or in a perfect world see a trade for a power hitting switch hitter who plays 3rd(Jose Ramirez) 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Heyman. I think there’s some fire where there’s smoke. Soler being Cuban along with Rodriguez makes sense. Sometimes teams will try to make guys less homesick so that they excel and one method is to bring in people from the same region.  So I could see it happening now more then before. 

I’d be okay with it, but I’d really prefer a power hitting left hander or in a perfect world see a trade for a power hitting switch hitter who plays 3rd(Jose Ramirez) 

Yep. I've been on the Jose Ramirez train for a few years now....

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

you’re absolutely right about the conditioning. I had heard that he showed up to spring training weight 285.  But this very organization did the same with Doc Halladay and turned him into a premier pitcher. 
  My hope is that Manoah was just embarrassed after such a successful year. We’ll find out a lot about his character and mental strength in the next few months. I would think he’d be a fool to leave a staff that has veterans like Berrios, Gausman and Bassit that he can learn from. 

Dunno, I think it may be the last we see of him here. I wasn't impressed with him showing up so big, messed up his delivery.

48 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

as for Chapman, I liked him, but his offence just wasn’t there. That’s why I think you’re seeing him still available. He turned down a 20M/year option to stay with us… but apparently they might be circling back to us as the market isn’t what they thought it would be. 

I hope so, he's so good at 3rd

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Dunno, I think it may be the last we see of him here. I wasn't impressed with him showing up so big, messed up his delivery.

I hope so, he's so good at 3rd

Have you seen him and Kirk this off-season? They’ve been beasting it in the gym and  both are estimated to be around 50 pounds lighter. 

IKF will be good at 3rd too, but he’s not quite the same as chapman and lacks offensively. However, everyone will love IKF, he’s just got a personality that you can’t find any flaws in. 

33 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Have you seen him and Kirk this off-season? They’ve been beasting it in the gym and  both are estimated to be around 50 pounds lighter. 

IKF will be good at 3rd too, but he’s not quite the same as chapman and lacks offensively. However, everyone will love IKF, he’s just got a personality that you can’t find any flaws in. 

Honestly he should have never been called up again and just focused on getting in shape.

53 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

no I haven't seen that. I don't know that I like Kirk lighter, he's kind of my hero.

• Cheers 1