Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

Gary Sheffield fails to get in with his tenth and final year on the ballot.   

The 3 join Jim Leyland, elected last month by the contemporary era committee for managers, executives and umpires.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/adrian-beltre-joe-mauer-todd-helton-voted-into-baseball-hall-of-fame/

Adrian Beltre, Joe Mauer, Todd Helton voted into Baseball Hall of Fame

16 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Gary Sheffield fails to get in with his tenth and final year on the ballot.   

The 3 join Jim Leyland, elected last month by the contemporary era committee for managers, executives and umpires.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/adrian-beltre-joe-mauer-todd-helton-voted-into-baseball-hall-of-fame/

Adrian Beltre, Joe Mauer, Todd Helton voted into Baseball Hall of Fame

....and Joey Bats is off the ballot, after failing to clear the 5% threshold, required to remain on the ballot.....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/former-blue-jays-star-jose-bautista-falls-off-hall-of-fame-ballot/

I don't think Bautista had a HoF caliber career, but less than 5% is pretty disappointing. One has to wonder if his sometimes abrasive personality played into it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Cody Bellinger has NOT "received a formal contract offer" from any team yet, per Bob Nightengale

If I’m Jays, I throw a 75/5 or 36/3  offer at Bellinger. If nobody has offered him anything, he might jump at it. 

Boras was seeking 200-250 over 10 years on him. Too greedy. 

• Cheers 1

I think Turner makes more sense. Chapman is only going to sign a deal with money and term. The Jays have Orelvis penciled in as their 3B of the future, so it makes sense to platoon Turner and IKF, until Martinez is ready for prime time....

Still hoping for Bellinger, but I get the impression that the Jays might be done on the FA market.

Interesting....according to Sportsnet, Turner declined a $13.4 million option with the Bosox, only to sign for $400k less in Toronto....

I guess he was betting on himself....or he wanted out of Boston....

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ralph. said:

Same here. Could still happen.

I don’t think it will. Just because he turned down a 5x25 already with the Jays. 
 I however think we’re going to see 1 or 2 things that will be crazy. I think we’ll see something possibly like a veteran starter brought in when their price goes low… looking at Kershaw, Clevinger, Kluber or Montgomery. 
 The other thing I think is a very realistic possibility that I won’t be surprised to see happen is if we acquire a Ramirez, Cease or Castro to play 3B.  Seems like the jays have a logjam of average players that can be utility now. And a bunch of B to B- prospects. 
 We lack an everyday 3B and I think IKF is more suited to play 2nd. 

but if they do nothing else, I’m fine with the team after the Turner signing.  At the end of the day Springer and Vlady MUST be better if the Jays want to win.  And Bo has to keep playing as well as he did last year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

I like the Turner signing but is anyone else just not as excited anymore after the Ohtani fiasco or is just me?

That was the tip of the iceberg.  There's no excuse for Shatkins to be going into this season still employed.