Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

32 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That was the tip of the iceberg.  There's no excuse for Shatkins to be going into this season still employed.

Wasn't even his fault really he did everything he could. 

Just now, Pears said:

Wasn't even his fault really he did everything he could. 

It still doesn't excuse the years of incompetence wasting Bo and Vlad.  The front office has done nothing to demonstrate they even care about winning.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I think Turner makes more sense. Chapman is only going to sign a deal with money and term. The Jays have Orelvis penciled in as their 3B of the future, so it makes sense to platoon Turner and IKF, until Martinez is ready for prime time....

Still hoping for Bellinger, but I get the impression that the Jays might be done on the FA market.

A trade wouldn't surprise me but they might be done.

On 1/30/2024 at 1:19 PM, King Heffy said:

It still doesn't excuse the years of incompetence wasting Bo and Vlad.  The front office has done nothing to demonstrate they even care about winning.

Last year they seemed to go all in. However every hitter had  a decline except for the guys they brought in (Kiermaier, Belt, Merrifield) and the Buffalo brigade.  This points towards the hitting coach. He should have lost his job last year and if they’re not hitting again this year, they better identify it fast and terminate him immediately. 

• Upvote 2

Plus and minus on the Justin Turner signing:

Plus: Turner is a huge hockey fan. (Grew up with the Gretzky version of the LA Kings) He's good friends with Tyler Toffoli and has cheered for him through his career, including when he was a Canuck.

Minus: Even though Toff is now with the Devils, Turner says he's going to be cheering for the Leafs....

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I don't understand this, just lock him up long term.

It’s probably scary the numbers he wants long term. Some speculation as to he’d be wanting Juan Soto long term numbers 40+/season @ 10-14 years. 

Kind of goofy that they’re going to arbitration for a one million dollar difference. 

I think that we’re needing to see something above average from Vlady this year in order to re-sign him. 

21 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

It’s probably scary the numbers he wants long term. Some speculation as to he’d be wanting Juan Soto long term numbers 40+/season @ 10-14 years. 

Kind of goofy that they’re going to arbitration for a one million dollar difference. 

I think that we’re needing to see something above average from Vlady this year in order to re-sign him. 

The relationship must be trashed if they can't bridge that.

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Meanwhile, Brandon Belt has decided not to retire.

He was pretty effective for the Jays last season, (when he wasn't injured) so what do we think? Bring him back?

I like him but I think he’s getting too old. He’s kind of redundant on this team now. I want a power Slugger or an everyday 3rd baseman. I’m not confident in Turner playing 3B at age 39 everyday. 

26 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I like him but I think he’s getting too old. He’s kind of redundant on this team now. I want a power Slugger or an everyday 3rd baseman. I’m not confident in Turner playing 3B at age 39 everyday. 

I think Turner will do more DHing than playing 3rd. We'll probably see IKF at 3B more often than not.

And if you're talking about old power hitters that will manly DH, yes, Belt is redundant. However, if you're talking about power hitters from the left side of the plate, he is not....

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I think Turner will do more DHing than playing 3rd. We'll probably see IKF at 3B more often than not.

And if you're talking about old power hitters that will manly DH, yes, Belt is redundant. However, if you're talking about power hitters from the left side of the plate, he is not....

Yes, however Turner has high numbers on the reverse splits. So he’s almost like having a left handed batter in the lineup. IKF, is good defensively but he flirts with a .200 average. 

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Yes, however Turner has high numbers on the reverse splits. So he’s almost like having a left handed batter in the lineup. IKF, is good defensively but he flirts with a .200 average. 

Yeah, we'll see if JT can keep it up this season.....fingers crossed.

IKF will be around the Mendoza line for sure, but management brought him in to play defense, so we'll see what happens there.

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, we'll see if JT can keep it up this season.....fingers crossed.

IKF will be around the Mendoza line for sure, but management brought him in to play defense, so we'll see what happens there.

Yea the most innings that IKF has ever played on 3B in a season is 366. He played 240 innings last year. 
 JT played 58 innings on 3B last year. 
so basically on those two they’ve combined for 47 games on 3B last year. Interesting gamble, I hope it works out. 

47 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Yea the most innings that IKF has ever played on 3B in a season is 366. He played 240 innings last year. 
 JT played 58 innings on 3B last year. 
so basically on those two they’ve combined for 47 games on 3B last year. Interesting gamble, I hope it works out. 

Unless Shatkins has something up their collective sleeves, I think we'll see 3B by committee next season. IKF, Turner, Espy....all of them will likely play there at some point. Not sure how they plan to reproduce Chapman's power numbers, though.

After seeing how quiet the free agent front has been ever since Ohtani signed, it kind of feels like everyone is holding onto their assets and wallets in anticipation of a much better FA class next off season.

If the Jays leave it n cruise control this year and somehow manage to sign Soto next winter, all will be forgiven.....

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Unless Shatkins has something up their collective sleeves, I think we'll see 3B by committee next season. IKF, Turner, Espy....all of them will likely play there at some point. Not sure how they plan to reproduce Chapman's power numbers, though.

After seeing how quiet the free agent front has been ever since Ohtani signed, it kind of feels like everyone is holding onto their assets and wallets in anticipation of a much better FA class next off season.

If the Jays leave it n cruise control this year and somehow manage to sign Soto next winter, all will be forgiven.....

Hopefully. I think we have some good young guys coming up to. Seeing them get a few games on 3rd can’t hurt either. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Hopefully. I think we have some good young guys coming up to. Seeing them get a few games on 3rd can’t hurt either. 

Yeah, Orelvis is listed as a SS, but I've always gotten the impression that the Jays want him to be their third baseman.

I think he's still at least a year away, though