Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Looks like, for better or worse, this is our team going forward....

I'm going to go with "worse"...:classic_wacko:

too pessimistic, imo. This team didn't play to their potential last season, if they can do that this time around they can be quite good. Particularly Vladdy, he wasn't very good last season, he's in better shape and motivated for a huge payday. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

too pessimistic, imo. This team didn't play to their potential last season, if they can do that this time around they can be quite good. Particularly Vladdy, he wasn't very good last season, he's in better shape and motivated for a huge payday. 

Varsho is the key, IMO. We need a left handed power bat. If he can get back to the hitter he was in Arizona we might be okay....but there are a lot of ifs....

Vladdy, Kirk, Springer.....all had down years last season. They all have to have good years, or the O's, Yankees and Rays will leave us in the dust.

One other thing that is cause for optimism Jimmy....the pitching staff.

If Alek Manoah can get back to his form of two years ago, the rotation looks unbeatable....and there's also Rodriguez in the mix....

....but that's a lot of "ifs".....

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Varsho is the key, IMO. We need a left handed power bat. If he can get back to the hitter he was in Arizona we might be okay....but there are a lot of ifs....

Vladdy, Kirk, Springer.....all had down years last season. They all have to have good years, or the O's, Yankees and Rays will leave us in the dust.

for sure, I just see reason to think there will be bounce backs, financial motivation being a biggie for a lot of them. 

5 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Kinda feel bad for our Jays offseason! Were leveraged by Ohtani to get the best offer from LA. Were in on Bellinger and likely had a better offer on the table then the one he’s finally agreed to but had to pivot from his outrageous demands of a 200+ million long term contract. Filled spots to field a decent roster and adding Bellinger or even Chapman now at this point would waste money spent on other guys you’ve paid to play for you in those spots.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

These Yankee commentators are actually bitching about ball/strike calls on the 2nd spring training game 🤦‍♂️

I actually think they're correct. The strike zone has been pretty inconsistent. However, I don't agree that it's favoring the Jays...I thought Mitch White had Soto struck out, before he walked ahead of the Judge bloop double....and that's just one example.

That being said, the one he missed on Vogelbach was absolutely brutal....:classic_wacko:

3 minutes ago, Colonel D said:

I don't know if I am feeling it so much so far. 

Yeah, we are only two games into Spring Training but it was a downer offseason and it remains to be seen if the Jays can compete with teams that got better over the winter.

Yankees

Judge

Stanton

and the rest of them.................. oh almost forgot they added Juan freaking Soto.

good luck competing with them-and the mega team in the west.

Imo- baseball needs a hard cap system.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Colonel D said:

How long are we going to wait for this guy?

I feel like it has been five years of hearing that he will be the next big thing.

He, at best now, can be a high velocity arm in the bullpen, imo.  I don't see him being a starter anymore.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/25/2024 at 8:31 AM, Bob Long said:

The entire coaching staff is back, and the front office has been proven to not be capable of making the necessary adjustments during the season.  Bringing in either a manager or GM actually qualified for either position would inspire a lot more confidence than running it back with these incompetent baboons.

Oh man....:classic_sad:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/baseball/son-of-blue-jays-reliever-erik-swanson-hit-by-car-in-critical-condition-in-hospital/ar-BB1iYLdm?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=9faa7bf2edaf4334914dcaa5e58040d7&ei=18

Toronto Blue Jays reliever Erik Swanson has left the team to be with his family after his son, Toby, suffered serious injuries after he was hit by a car on Sunday.

The four-year-old boy remained in critical condition at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital after being transported to the St. Petersburg, Fla., facility by medical helicopter, Clearwater Police said Tuesday in a news release.

• Sad 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 2/27/2024 at 1:13 PM, RupertKBD said:

Sounds like Swanson's child is out of intensive care.  That's great news.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

I sat through the entirely of yesterday's Spring Training game against the Red Sox. I'll start by pointing out that the Bosox fielded an MLB caliber roster. while Alejandro Kirk was the only starter playing for the Jays....but it was pretty depressing....

Out after out....the only run coming off a solo homer by Kirk.

The pitching looked great, even though we didn't really see much from guys who will make the opening day roster.....still, it's hard to muster any enthusiasm, considering the way the offence looks....

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I sat through the entirely of yesterday's Spring Training game against the Red Sox. I'll start by pointing out that the Bosox fielded an MLB caliber roster. while Alejandro Kirk was the only starter playing for the Jays....but it was pretty depressing....

Out after out....the only run coming off a solo homer by Kirk.

The pitching looked great, even though we didn't really see much from guys who will make the opening day roster.....still, it's hard to muster any enthusiasm, considering the way the offence looks....

I can’t get with spring training until last week of March. It’s sloppy baseball and no one really cares. The real ones are saving for their 162 game grind. 

• Vintage 1