Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

14 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

How is a guy earning $200k a year allowed to rack up a gambling debt of $4.5 million? That’s just laughable. 

This has to be Ohtani’s gambling debt. 

Doubt Commissioner Manfred has the guts to do anything apart from sweep this under the rug. 

If Commissioner Landis were still around and it was warranted he’d be banned for life.

There was an article about this in "The Athletic".  An excerpt:

"In 2015, the league fined Miami Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart an undisclosed amount after determining he placed illegal sports bets. But because the league found Cosart did not bet on baseball, that was the extent of his penalty."

https://theathletic.com/5361168/2024/03/22/shohei-ohtani-ippei-mizuhara-betting-scandal-questions/

So even if Ohtani did make the bets, as long as he didn't bet on baseball, this precedent would indicate he would get away with only a fine.  

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/mlb-now-investigating-shohei-ohtani-gambling-scandal/ar-BB1ksfGY?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=7fb991df0719474c9cffb4bd513f6166&ei=34

"Arecent federal investigation has thrust Shohei Ohtani, the star player for the Los Angeles Angels, into the spotlight amid allegations of involvement in an illegal gambling ring. The investigation revealed transactions totaling $4.5 million directly from Ohtani’s account to a bookie. While Ohtani’s team vehemently denies any wrongdoing, the accusations have sparked a flurry of speculation and controversy. Major League Baseball was originally not going to look into things. They have pivoted and are now investigating the matter.

Brandon Lang, a renowned sports handicapper, claimed on the Sports Junkies podcast that the bets in question were indeed placed by Ohtani. Ohtani’s legal team attempting to deflect blame by alleging theft by Ohtani’s interpreter is now being questioned. At one juncture, Ohtani allegedly transferred funds to the bookmaker, purportedly to support Ohtani’s former translator, Ippei Mizuhara. It was initially asserted the transfer was done to resolve debts unrelated to Ohtani. Subsequently, Ohtani’s representatives contended that the funds were stolen by Mizuhara.

Doubts persist regarding the true extent of his role and Ohtani’s awareness of the situation. Ohtani is separating himself from any association with Mizuhara and the Dodgers have subsequently fired him. Unfortunately, that may not be the end of this storyline. The interpreter worked with Ohtani throughout his MLB career and was very close friends with baseball’s megastar. Along with MLB’s investigation, a federal investigation continues, with California bookmakers also implicated in the scandal.

The details of this situation have led to widespread speculation and scrutiny, with many questioning the plausibility of Ohtani accruing such a significant debt without knowledge of what was going on. The math doesn’t add up to many, and some believe his legal team was looking for a fall guy while opening up a huge can of worms that he may damage his career.

As investigations by both federal and league officials unfold, the spotlight remains firmly fixed on Ohtani and the Dodgers organization.

36 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

There was an article about this in "The Athletic".  An excerpt:

"In 2015, the league fined Miami Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart an undisclosed amount after determining he placed illegal sports bets. But because the league found Cosart did not bet on baseball, that was the extent of his penalty."

https://theathletic.com/5361168/2024/03/22/shohei-ohtani-ippei-mizuhara-betting-scandal-questions/

So even if Ohtani did make the bets, as long as he didn't bet on baseball, this precedent would indicate he would get away with only a fine.  

Several of Ohtani’s former teammates have said he has never shown any interest whatsoever in any other sports. Seems a little far fetched he’d be betting on things he had no interest in. 

Going to be interesting watching this unfold.

Ohtani to speak to media for first time since gambling, theft allegations against interpreter

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/shohei-ohtani-to-speak-to-media-for-first-time-since-gambling-theft-allegations-against-interpreter-1.2094643

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Shohei Ohtani plans to speak to the media Monday for the first time since the illegal gambling and theft allegations involving the Los Angeles Dodgers star and his interpreter emerged during the team’s trip to South Korea.

The interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara, was fired by the Dodgers last week when the team opened the season with two games against the San Diego Padres in Seoul.

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Votto?

He stepped on a bat and rolled his ankle, so it's a bit up in the air. They might be able to put him on the DL for now and then make a decision once he's healthy.

That being said, I don't think the team can carry both Votto and Vogelbach, so a lot will depend on how DV does in the first few weeks.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/with-ohtani-s-name-at-stake-mlb-has-a-ready-scapegoat/ar-BB1kuWqU?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=be55da94be99427b94c649972242470e&ei=10

"

For now, everybody needs to take a deep breath. There is no indication that Shohei Ohtani gambled on Major League Baseball games; no indication that he has stepped on the sport’s third rail.

This isn’t Pete Rose gambling on games. It’s not the Black Sox scandal. It’s not BALCO. Heck, it’s not even banging on a trash can. Not yet.

But that doesn’t mean this isn’t a horribly unsettling situation for MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Ohtani and the game itself.

The initial handling of this matter by the player, his advisors and the Dodgers certainly raises questions about the team’s due diligence in blindly going along with Ohtani’s demands. That’s especially so considering reporting by Sam Blum of The Athletic that Ippei Mizuhara, who is as much Ohtani’s valet and fart-catcher (to borrow a nuanced word for lackey) as he is interpreter, went to the George Santos school of CV polishing. I guess you drop your guard a bit when you’re essentially handing a guy a blank cheque and agreeing to bring on board an entire entourage and ecosystem and probably the odd flunky, but if I was giving out $700 million to anybody, I’d be making some calls about his hangers-on. The Dodgers seem to have handled this whole thing like excited little kids.

And if I was going to hold a clubhouse meeting to alert my players about the matter — as Dodgers president Andrew Friedman reportedly did — I certainly wouldn’t have told the players that all Ohtani did was wire some money to a bookie to help cover Mizuhara’s $4.5 million in gambling debts, even if that was the ham-handed first ‘official’ explanation allegedly run out by Ohtani’s camp. Not sure you need a law degree to realize wiring money to an illegal bookmaking operation from a bank account with your name on it is a good way to get the attention of federal investigators.

-----------------------------------------------------

MAL

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/with-ohtani-s-name-at-stake-mlb-has-a-ready-scapegoat/ar-BB1kuWqU?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=be55da94be99427b94c649972242470e&ei=10

"

For now, everybody needs to take a deep breath. There is no indication that Shohei Ohtani gambled on Major League Baseball games; no indication that he has stepped on the sport’s third rail.

This isn’t Pete Rose gambling on games. It’s not the Black Sox scandal. It’s not BALCO. Heck, it’s not even banging on a trash can. Not yet.

But that doesn’t mean this isn’t a horribly unsettling situation for MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Ohtani and the game itself.

The initial handling of this matter by the player, his advisors and the Dodgers certainly raises questions about the team’s due diligence in blindly going along with Ohtani’s demands. That’s especially so considering reporting by Sam Blum of The Athletic that Ippei Mizuhara, who is as much Ohtani’s valet and fart-catcher (to borrow a nuanced word for lackey) as he is interpreter, went to the George Santos school of CV polishing. I guess you drop your guard a bit when you’re essentially handing a guy a blank cheque and agreeing to bring on board an entire entourage and ecosystem and probably the odd flunky, but if I was giving out $700 million to anybody, I’d be making some calls about his hangers-on. The Dodgers seem to have handled this whole thing like excited little kids.

And if I was going to hold a clubhouse meeting to alert my players about the matter — as Dodgers president Andrew Friedman reportedly did — I certainly wouldn’t have told the players that all Ohtani did was wire some money to a bookie to help cover Mizuhara’s $4.5 million in gambling debts, even if that was the ham-handed first ‘official’ explanation allegedly run out by Ohtani’s camp. Not sure you need a law degree to realize wiring money to an illegal bookmaking operation from a bank account with your name on it is a good way to get the attention of federal investigators.

-----------------------------------------------------

MAL

Kinda odd he just wired the money to help his buddy in need.  With that much assets, why not get an accountant or someone to help? 

Now Dodgers saying it is theft.  Then the FBI will get involved and press charges as needed.   This story will sell itself.  Someone is lying and the truth will come out.  MLB definitely doesn't want it to get any bigger, but that's too late.

Enjoy the popcorn.  Part of me glad Jays didn't sign Ohtani or and certainly happy they did not sign Yamamoto.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Kinda odd he just wired the money to help his buddy in need.  With that much assets, why not get an accountant or someone to help? 

Now Dodgers saying it is theft.  Then the FBI will get involved and press charges as needed.   This story will sell itself.  Someone is lying and the truth will come out.  MLB definitely doesn't want it to get any bigger, but that's too late.

Enjoy the popcorn.  Part of me glad Jays didn't sign Ohtani or and certainly happy they did not sign Yamamoto.  

they overpaid big time for Yamamoto imo. I just can't see him living up to that deal.

This gambling stuff is funny, but I fully expect MLB to douche it up. 

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

they overpaid big time for Yamamoto imo. I just can't see him living up to that deal.

This gambling stuff is funny, but I fully expect MLB to douche it up. 

MLB definitely wants to sweep this under the rug. 

I doubt FBI will let it go.  Think operation slap shot that got Tocchet. 

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

MLB definitely wants to sweep this under the rug. 

I doubt FBI will let it go. 

I hope not.

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Think operation slap shot that got Tocchet. 

Too soon man.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I hope not.

Too soon man.

In time we'll see what this is all about.  From what I hear from the media the whole thing got started with FBI investigation of an Orange County illegal booky, and then they found wire transfers to him from Ohtani.   I don't think Ohtani is an addict or even gambles, which is not well accepted in Japanese culture.  But maybe helping his buddy with financial hardship landed him in this situation.  

It was Spring Training and it was against the Pirates, so take it FWIW, but Kevin Gausman looked really good today.

The changeup was working to perfection and it seemed like when guys were sitting on it, Gausman would throw 95 MPH on the corner.....not sure how many innings he went, but he had 6 Ks through 3 innings....

• Cheers 1

Just to underscore how power is going to be a big issue for the Jays this season, try and guess who led the team in HRs in Spring Training. Don't look it up, take a guess before looking in the spolier....I bet you won't get it.....

Spoiler

Kevin Kiermaier

On 3/23/2024 at 4:47 PM, Miss Korea said:

If you're a real Jays fan, you'll know that the true challenge of any season (but especially this season) is to make out of the bloodbath that is the AL East.

Let's just say we're a team of perennial underachievers bringing on a bunch of dinosaurs in the hopes they'll come back to form.  We're hoping everyone on the roster comes back to form.  That's some strategy.

Hiring a qualified manager might help instead of running back with the same staff that caused the team to underachieve last year, but sadly the idiots in the front office don't care enough about winning to fix that problem either.

Sorry to say, but I share MK's pessimism and I don't really think it would matter who is running the team.

Chapman, Merrifield, Belt, Hicks.....out. IKF, Turner, Vogelbach, Y Rodriguez in....Manoah, Romano and Swanson all starting the season on the DL, while Gausman barely got any action in Spring Training.

I like listening to Blair and Barker, because they won't pull any punches, if they see something they don't like. (especially KB) The other day Blair asked Barker if he thought the Jays had improved their lineup over last year. TBH, I was surprised, because Kevin took a few seconds to consider before saying "no". To me, it looks pretty obvious....

It doesn't mean that the team has no chance. What it does mean is that a lot of guys are going to have to be better than last season.....and in the case of Bo, KK and the pitching staff....just as good.

• Cheers 2