Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Probably only out there for 3 batters

Maybe one too many....

I wasn't really complaining, but this early in the season, I didn't expect to see any starter throw that many pitches....

36 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Maybe one too many....

I wasn't really complaining, but this early in the season, I didn't expect to see any starter throw that many pitches....

Schneider seems to make some weird decisions, from time to time.

Leaving Bassitt in, would have been too risky for me to do.

Already missing enough pitchers right now, no need to injure a starter.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Jays had a chance to win this in the bottom of the ninth, but you gotta hit with RISP to score runs, usually.

Too predictable now and White comes in and puts it out of reach. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Ooof, Tim Mayza has not been right this year.  Reminds me of Adam Cimber last year.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...I keep hoping this will be the time he gets it together and I keep getting disappointed.

It wouldn't be so worrying if he was just low leverage guy, but he's the Lefty out of the pen that's supposed to take care of the big Lefty hitters. We've still got Cabrera, but he doesn't instill a ton of confidence either.....

• Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/guardians-acquire-veteran-pitcher-from-blue-jays/ar-BB1lpgUq?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=0338e92ff84e4d1eaac44f8dded1fca9&ei=60

"The Blue Jays have traded right-hander Wes Parsons to the Guardians for $250K of international bonus pool space, per announcements from both clubs. Parsons was designated for assignment by the Jays last week and has now been optioned to Triple-A Columbus. Righty Shane Bieber was transferred to the 60-day injured list to open a 40-man spot for Parsons. It was reported over the weekend that Bieber will undergo Tommy John surgery, thus missing the remainder of the 2024 season.

---------------------------------------

mal

8 hours ago, runningback33 said:

From the article:

While Mizuhara’s winning bets totaled over $142 million, which he deposited in his own bank account and not Ohtani's, his losing bets were around $183 million — a net loss of nearly $41 million.

So if he stole $16 million from Ohtani, where did the remaining $25 million come from?

Also from the article:

Mizuhara knew the game was over. In a message to his illegal bookmaker on March 20, the day the Los Angeles Times and ESPN broke the news of the investigation, he wrote: “Technically I did steal from him. it’s all over for me.”

Technically?

Also from the article:

Federal investigators say Mizuhara made around 19,000 wagers between December 2021 and January 2024 — nearly 25 bets per day on average. The wagers ranged from roughly $10 to $160,000 per bet,

$10 to $160,000???   That's quite a spread.  Wonder how he determined which bets were worth which money?

14 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

While Mizuhara’s winning bets totaled over $142 million, which he deposited in his own bank account and not Ohtani's, his losing bets were around $183 million — a net loss of nearly $41 million.

So if he stole $16 million from Ohtani, where did the remaining $25 million come from?

Also from the article:

Mizuhara knew the game was over. In a message to his illegal bookmaker on March 20, the day the Los Angeles Times and ESPN broke the news of the investigation, he wrote: “Technically I did steal from him. it’s all over for me.”

Technically?

Also from the article:

Federal investigators say Mizuhara made around 19,000 wagers between December 2021 and January 2024 — nearly 25 bets per day on average. The wagers ranged from roughly $10 to $160,000 per bet,

$10 to $160,000???   That's quite a spread.  Wonder how he determined which bets were worth which money?

Well you throw in $10 on your long shots, like San Jose winning the Stanley cup, and your $100,000 bets on sure things, like Ohtani getting 1+ hit

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

Well you throw in $10 on your long shots, like San Jose winning the Stanley cup, and your $100,000 bets on sure things, like Ohtani getting 1+ hit

...or Canuck fans blaming the refs for a loss.....:classic_cool:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/yariel-rodriguez-s-arrival-leads-to-pitching-changes-for-blue-jays/ar-BB1lxwyO?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b6e7ab62f8d343c887c6032e9515f0f4&ei=12

"

TORONTO – Yariel Rodriguez’s arrival in Toronto means the biggest challenge of his professional career is imminent, and the Cuban right-hander’s presence will also allow the Blue Jays to reconfigure their pitching staff starting Saturday.

For the most part, manager John Schneider kept things vague in his pre-game media availability with reporters Friday afternoon. He acknowledged that Rodriguez was in Toronto, and that he’ll probably be activated at some point during this weekend’s series.

Yet there were “some different scenarios” in play depending on how things unfolded against the Rockies in the series opener. After an 12-4 loss in which the Blue Jays asked their bullpen to cover 5.1 innings against the Colorado Rockies, Schneider made it official: Rodriguez will start in place of Bowden Francis on Saturday afternoon, with Francis available in a piggyback role out of the bullpen.

---------------------------

mal

• Thanks 1

New pitcher looking good, so far 🙂

In your opinion:

did springer mess up on Vladdy's deep fly ball in the bottom of first.?

He was on first, and the ball goes to the wall, where it is caught by the outfielder.

George had left first, going to second, then had to run back to first.

If he stayed on first, waits for the catch, he then could maybe reach 2nd base, if the ball gets dropped, or not caught, then he definitely gets to second.

Kind of moot- after Varsho's grand slam, but George makes me wonder, on a few of his base running efforts.

Edited by Gurn

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

New pitcher looking good, so far 🙂

In your opinion:

did springer mess up on Vladdy's deep fly ball in the bottom of first.?

He was on first, and the ball goes to the wall, where it is caught by the outfielder.

George had left first, going to second, then had to run back to first.

If he stayed on first, waits for the catch, he then could maybe reach 2nd base, if the ball gets dropped, or not caught, then he definitely gets to second.

Kind of moot- after Varsho's grand slam, but George makes me wonder, on a few of his base running efforts.

Didn't see the play as I tuned in a bit late, but the book is, you only tag up from first if it's a lock that the outfielder is going to catch it. If not, you're taught to go "halfway", although that's a bit misleading.....you basically go as far as you can and be sure you can beat the throw back to first.

When you can get that far on a fly ball, you want to be in position to score, if it isn't caught.

• Thanks 1