Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

20 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

And the Dodgers are 12-11   .552

Which means, if my math is correct, that they would be .5 games back of the Blue Jays if they were in the same division.

LA will be 13-11 after todays game as they are up 10-0 on Mets

Edited by runningback33

9 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I dunno if anyone saw this yet, but one of the funniest ejections I’ve ever seen. 

I'm not one to defend Aaron Boone, but this kind of thing is why managers have to take blood pressure meds....

Yes, calling balls and strikes is a tough job....that's why they pay you the big bucks to do it. If you do a lousy job, you should expect to hear about it. You can't be so thin skinned that you feel the need to toss the manager at a perceived slight.

In a way, this reminds me of when JT Realmuto got thrown out of a pre-season game against the Jays last year. He reached back for a new ball and after a few seconds, he moved his glove because the ump hadn't yet given him a new one. Then the ump decides to drop the ball into a glove that is no longer there....

Of course, the ump assumes that Realmuto is "showing him up" and gives him the boot....:classic_rolleyes:

Here's a tip for umpires: If you don't want to be "shown up", do a better job.

BTW: I've umped hundreds of games myself. I've also reffed hockey and football. I know what the criticism feels like and if you can't take it, maybe it's not the thing for you....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I dunno if anyone saw this yet, but one of the funniest ejections I’ve ever seen. 

Mean while NHL refs get into "fuck you" matches with the coaches and then probably go out for beers together after the game.

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

Mean while NHL refs get into "fuck you" matches with the coaches and then probably go out for beers together after the game.

Just don't offer them donuts.....:classic_unsure:

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Just don't offer them donuts.....:classic_unsure:

Iirc Koharski has  thanked the coach, got in shape and has stopped drinking for many, many years.

It was a very public incident, but some good did come of it.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Iirc Koharski has  thanked the coach, got in shape and has stopped drinking for many, many years.

It was a very public incident, but some good did come of it.

I don't know if you're familiar with the work of cartoonist Dave Elston, but he did a classic about that incident:

The caption read, "Milliseconds before the complete destruction of Selma's coffee shop

It showed Koho at a diner (with his striped jersey on, or course) and a waitress asking, "Do you want a donut to go with that coffee?" :classic_laugh:

• Upvote 1

Blue Jays call up:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-recall-addison-barger-from-triple-a-buffalo/ar-AA1nAZGe?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=cd1ee8dd88fe4735bb894425429728c0&ei=9

Addison Barger is finally getting his shot.

Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith confirmed Wednesday that the slugging utility player is being recalled to the MLB roster and is expected to be active.

The move was first reported by Johnny Giunta of the Gate 14 Podcast.

Barger has slashed .314/.435/.586 through his first 19 games with triple-A Buffalo this season, spending time at third base and in right field. He has added 10 doubles and three home runs to the powerful Bisons offence.

----------------

"Kevin Kiermaier left last night’s game with hip flexor discomfort "

• Thanks 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/what-might-a-yusei-kikuchi-extension-look-like-for-the-toronto-blue-jays/ar-AA1nAmR1?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=78944c9a594d4e36a787f9bbe37125d0&ei=27

"Story by Jim Scott, Bluejaysnation

usei Kikuchi’s three-year, $36 million contract with the Blue Jays ends this year. Would Toronto want to extend the lefty’s contract, and if so, what would an extension look like?

Start with the obvious caveat: there are many factors that could affect that decision that are still in play. Kikuchi is currently playing like a Cy Young candidate, with a top-20 2.08 ERA (and a top-12 xERA). 

---------------------

So, two years, $40 million? Three years, $56 million? Or something more creative, like two years and $44 million with a team option for a third year at $18 million?

-------------------------------------

Much MAL

I thought Barger's debut was pretty decent, but I can't help being a bit disappointed....

It seems like every time another team calls up a prospect, the kid goes deep, or hits a walk off....We haven't seen anything like that since Davis Schneider last season.

• Upvote 1

....and just to make things just a little less bright for the Jays, Alek Manoah got lit up yesterday by the Cubs....

.....The Iowa Cubs.... :picard:

IP     H    R    ER   BB   K  HR  ERA

3.0    7    6     6     4    5    2    9.00

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Sad 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

....and just to make things just a little less bright for the Jays, Alek Manoah got lit up yesterday by the Cubs....

.....The Iowa Cubs.... :picard:

IP     H    R    ER   BB   K  HR  ERA

3.0    7    6     6     4    5    2    9.00

Man what happened to him? Why would you go gain so much weight the offseason after having a breakout year? It's really pooched his career.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Man what happened to him? Why would you go gain so much weight the offseason after having a breakout year? It's really pooched his career.

It's Ricky Romero all over again.....guys who look like stars for a season or two and then fall off the map for one reason or another. (The popular theory on Manoah is the pitch clock, but I think that's just a convenient excuse)

I'm sure other teams have had this happen as well, but it sure seems like we're the ones who are snakebit...

I suppose Jonathan Cheechoo would be a good example of the same thing in hockey....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1