Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

22 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

One thing not mentioned there is that because of a flu virus running through the clubhouse, those are the only 9 guys that were available to play and they got the W anyway.

To make it even more impressive, Jose Berrios was was in bed with a fever at 10:00 am, but managed to put up 7 solid innings in a start against a top opponent. (He allowed 2 solo HRs to Adley Rutschman)

Daulton Varsho homered off of reliever Yennier Cano in the 8th to tie the game at 2-2. This was 4 innings after he stole a home run from Ryan O'Hearn, reaching over the Left-Center field fence to bring the ball back....

In extras, Ernie Clement bunted his way aboard to lead of the 10th, moving Cavan Biggio to 3rd. After a pop-out by Vladdy, Varsho brought Biggio home with a groundout to 2nd baseman Jorge Mateo, who channeled his inner Roberto Alomar to make the diving stop and throw DV out.

Jordan Romano and the defense made that single run stand up in the bottom half.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

One thing not mentioned there is that because of a flu virus running through the clubhouse, those are the only 9 guys that were available to play and they got the W anyway.

To make it even more impressive, Jose Berrios was was in bed with a fever at 10:00 am, but managed to put up 7 solid innings in a start against a top opponent. (He allowed 2 solo HRs to Adley Rutschman)

Daulton Varsho homered off of reliever Yennier Cano in the 8th to tie the game at 2-2. This was 4 innings after he stole a home run from Ryan O'Hearn, reaching over the Left-Center field fence to bring the ball back....

In extras, Ernie Clement bunted his way aboard to lead of the 10th, moving Cavan Biggio to 3rd. After a pop-out by Vladdy, Varsho brought Biggio home with a groundout to 2nd baseman Jorge Mateo, who channeled his inner Roberto Alomar to make the diving stop and throw DV out.

Jordan Romano and the defense made that single run stand up in the bottom half.

I hope Joey Votto can play soon and we just cut ties with Vogelbach. That sub .100 hitting is outright embarrassing and confusing as to why he’s still here. Try something else out. 

• Cheers 1

Interesting rant by Jeff Blair today on Blair and Barker.....

Basically asking the question of why Shapiro and Atkins are still around and basically expressing amazement at how far the Jays have fallen, considering the fact that a couple of years ago, he thought they were on their way to winning a World Series. It wasn't so much a criticism of the moves management has made....it was more of not having any idea what the "plan" is.....

Talking about Bo and Vladdy, he wonders aloud if Atkins is the guy you want deciding on whether to keep or trade them....and if he's the guy you want making the deal if you do decide to move one, or both of them. Pretty hard to argue, considering what has happened this year so far....Barker chimes in, stating (correctly, IMO) that this team is "way too good at pitching and defense to be in last place"....

Both JB and KB expressed their surprise that nobody was let go after the way last season ended....especially considering the boneheaded decision to give Berrios the early hook.

At the end of his mini rant, he says something to the effect of "Maybe I'm getting carried away" or something similar, to which Barker replies, "No. You're not". Certainly no blind homerism with these two....just straight talk and I think they pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I think at this point, ownership should be looking for a completely new management group to try and rebuild the franchise, because there's certainly not a ton of talent coming up from the minors. They have some decent prospects, but MLB.com ranks their farm system at #24....which is behind every other AL East franchise. The Orioles are still #1, even after bringing up top level talent over the past few seasons. At this point, I think you look at what the O's have done, as well as the Astros before them and consider a complete tear down.....

To Shapiro, I would say, "Thanks for fixing up the ballpark, but we'll find someone else to fix up the ball team."

I think Jeff Blair and Kevin Barker might just agree.....

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Basically asking the question of why Shapiro and Atkins are still around and basically expressing amazement at how far the Jays have fallen, considering the fact that a couple of years ago, he thought they were on their way to winning a World Series. It wasn't so much a criticism of the moves management has made....it was more of not having any idea what the "plan" is.....

Talking about Bo and Vladdy, he wonders aloud if Atkins is the guy you want deciding on whether to keep or trade them....and if he's the guy you want making the deal if you do decide to move one, or both of them. Pretty hard to argue, considering what has happened this year so far....Barker chimes in, stating (correctly, IMO) that this team is "way too good at pitching and defense to be in last place"....

Both JB and KB expressed their surprise that nobody was let go after the way last season ended....especially considering the boneheaded decision to give Berrios the early hook.

At the end of his mini rant, he says something to the effect of "Maybe I'm getting carried away" or something similar, to which Barker replies, "No. You're not". Certainly no blind homerism with these two....just straight talk and I think they pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I think at this point, ownership should be looking for a completely new management group to try and rebuild the franchise, because there's certainly not a ton of talent coming up from the minors. They have some decent prospects, but MLB.com ranks their farm system at #24....which is behind every other AL East franchise. The Orioles are still #1, even after bringing up top level talent over the past few seasons. At this point, I think you look at what the O's have done, as well as the Astros before them and consider a complete tear down.....

To Shapiro, I would say, "Thanks for fixing up the ballpark, but we'll find someone else to fix up the ball team."

Bingo. The Blue Jays are a rudderless ship. A new Captain is desperately needed. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

The Shatkins era almost reminds me a bit of Benning's tenure with the Canucks- Benning talked about the "competitive rebuild", Shatkins talked about contending for WS titles while maintaining a plump farm system. The Jays are now a dog shit team and look to only have 2 or 3 guys on the farm that might help them in the foreseeable future. 

It's almost impressive how quickly and thoroughly the front office has degraded the team from where they were as strong contenders with an explosive offence just two years ago. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

The Shatkins era almost reminds me a bit of Benning's tenure with the Canucks- Benning talked about the "competitive rebuild", Shatkins talked about contending for WS titles while maintaining a plump farm system. The Jays are now a dog shit team and look to only have 2 or 3 guys on the farm that might help them in the foreseeable future. 

It's almost impressive how quickly and thoroughly the front office has degraded the team from where they were as strong contenders with an explosive offence just two years ago. 

What I still can't figure out is the lack of a back up plan when the Ohtani sweepstakes didn't go our way. There were still plenty of guys out there who could have helped this offense and we decided that IKF, Justin Turner and Vogelbach were good enough to get the job done? Really?

I mean, everyone knew that this lineup wasn't going to hit. We didn't expect the fall off from Vladdy and Bo, but considering the lack of protection from the rest of the order, maybe we should have. Bottom line is, management appears to be the only ones who didn't see this coming....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

What I still can't figure out is the lack of a back up plan when the Ohtani sweepstakes didn't go our way. There were still plenty of guys out there who could have helped this offense and we decided that IKF, Justin Turner and Vogelbach were good enough to get the job done? Really?

I mean, everyone knew that this lineup wasn't going to hit. We didn't expect the fall off from Vladdy and Bo, but considering the lack of protection from the rest of the order, maybe we should have. Bottom line is, management appears to be the only ones who didn't see this coming....

Yeah, none of us here are experts on the game and the consensus seemed to be that this offence would be average at best, but likely far worse. I'm not sure what the FO really expected. IIRC, they didn't even take a swing at Bellinger. He was just about the only impact bat available once Ohtani was off the board. 

The part I'm really struggling to figure out is what happens next. I find it hard to think that ownership would commit to an overhaul after spending (I think) about $400 million renovating the stadium and being less than 24 months removed from contending. The roster sucks, so does the farm system, and neither one is likely to improve the other much via trade. I'm not that old but this has gotta be the most pessimistic I've been about the Jays since the BJ Ryan days.

2 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Yeah, none of us here are experts on the game and the consensus seemed to be that this offence would be average at best, but likely far worse. I'm not sure what the FO really expected. IIRC, they didn't even take a swing at Bellinger. He was just about the only impact bat available once Ohtani was off the board. 

The part I'm really struggling to figure out is what happens next. I find it hard to think that ownership would commit to an overhaul after spending (I think) about $400 million renovating the stadium and being less than 24 months removed from contending. The roster sucks, so does the farm system, and neither one is likely to improve the other much via trade. I'm not that old but this has gotta be the most pessimistic I've been about the Jays since the BJ Ryan days.

It's definitely a tough spot. I was with you on Bellinger. In fact I was lobbying for the team to pursue him as soon as they lost out on Ohtani.

Right now, I think they need to generate some excitement somehow. If that means bringing up Orelvis and seeing what he can do, they should do it. Same with Votto when he's ready. Vogelbach seems like a great guy, but he hasn't made any kind of an impact in his limited playing time. Fans might just get engaged if they see a hometown boy take the field....

The only other thing I can see them doing to right the ship in the near future is to make a splash in the off season. If they could manage to sign a couple of Soto, Goldschmidt, Bregman, Santana, Santander, etc.....Maybe even another starter, like Corbin Burnes, or Lance Lynn....

This year, however, I believe is already a wash....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

This year, however, I believe is already a wash....

Yep, and the frustrating thing is we all saw this coming.  Just like we all new to take the under for Runs Scored (if we were gamblers) in the playoff series with the Twins.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Same with Votto when he's ready.

When is when?

Other than here, I've seen/heard nothing about this guy, since a week after training camp.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Gurn said:

When is when?

Other than here, I've seen/heard nothing about this guy, since a week after training camp.

Last I saw was he's doing better, but it's him who has said he doesn't want to come back until he feels 100%, how close that is I don't know, but he's improving just a matter of time until he feels right I guess. 

Edited by Canucks164cup
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

I still think John Schneider should of been gone halfway through last season, and he should be gone now, but this management group gave him a contract until 2025 with a club option for 2026, it's like they don't want to admit they were wrong.

I'll admit everyday I wake up hoping to see John Schneider fired it will make my day if it happens.

Edited by Canucks164cup

2 hours ago, Canucks164cup said:

I still think John Schneider should of been gone halfway through last season, and he should be gone now, but this management group gave him a contract until 2025 with a club option for 2026, it's like they don't want to admit they were wrong.

I'll admit everyday I wake up hoping to see John Schneider fired it will make my day if it happens.

Heh, similiar to me, but I hope it's Shapiro that goes.  Atkins and Schneider probably need to go too, but for me it's Shapiro first.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Heh, similiar to me, but I hope it's Shapiro that goes.  Atkins and Schneider probably need to go too, but for me it's Shapiro first.

The Shatkins project definitely needs to end, Rogers invested all this money for renos no way will they be in favor of trading the core and going through a rebuild, we were told back in 2019 that they would be competitive in a couple years, those couple years passed, but this off season they took a step back in being competitive and their prospect pool isn't rated good, Shatkins needs to be gone as well.

Edited by Canucks164cup
  • Cheers 2