Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

51 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

A bit nitpicky I know, but it sucks a bit for IKF....he only gets credit for a single, but that's a double all day long and it wouldn't have mattered if the outfielder was playing at normal depth....

Well, I finally found some updated info on Joey Votto-aka the invisible man.

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-joey-votto-ankle-still-without-timetable-1.2129877

"

Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Joey Votto continues to take live at-bats in Florida and is "working on a baserunning program" manager John Schneider said via MLB.com's Keegan Matheson. 

Schneider added there is no current timeframe to get him into game action, but that will change once he makes more progress. 

Votto has been out since spraining his ankle after stepping on a bat in the dugout during his first spring training game. Votto homered in his only at-bat at big league spring training.

The 40-year-old Toronto native signed with the Jays in March on a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training. 

Votto slashed .202/.314/.433 with 14 home runs and 38 RBI in 65 games last season with the Cincinnati Reds in the final year of a 10-year, $225 million deal. Prior to signing with Toronto, Votto had played his entire 17-year MLB career with Cincinnati.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-joey-votto-ankle-still-without-timetable-1.2129877

"

Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Joey Votto continues to take live at-bats in Florida and is "working on a baserunning program" manager John Schneider said via MLB.com's Keegan Matheson. 

Schneider added there is no current timeframe to get him into game action, but that will change once he makes more progress. 

Votto has been out since spraining his ankle after stepping on a bat in the dugout during his first spring training game. Votto homered in his only at-bat at big league spring training.

The 40-year-old Toronto native signed with the Jays in March on a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training. 

Votto slashed .202/.314/.433 with 14 home runs and 38 RBI in 65 games last season with the Cincinnati Reds in the final year of a 10-year, $225 million deal. Prior to signing with Toronto, Votto had played his entire 17-year MLB career with Cincinnati.

Before the season started I put $1 down (at 2.00) that he would record one at least one at bat this season with the Jays. C'mon Joey, put me up a buck!

Edited by Ralph.
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

How do you aim a foul ball at someone?

Hey-these guys are 'the best of the best'.

maybe the pitcher was in on it too, threw the ball exactly where the batter needed it? oh crap -it was a conspiracy!!

lol.

39 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It's not easy....I've tried a few times....

I have a vague memory of a story involving a guy that did nothing but hit foul balls, in order to wear the pitcher down.

And I wonder

is it easier to deliberately hit fouls balls than to try for hits?

If so, how many foul balls can you hit, before the other team just gives you the walk?

If your team can get 20 extra pitches thrown per plate appearance, that would tire out the pitcher, by the middle of the second inning wouldn't it?

On 6/6/2024 at 2:08 PM, Gurn said:

"

I feel like his vet presence and left handed hitting might have made a difference this year. Hopefully he gets in and plays well. 

• Cheers 1

Biggio- designated for assignment-- and Manoah having season ending surgery

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-designate-cavan-biggio-for-assignment-recall-spencer-horwitz-from-triple-a/ar-BB1nPYtJ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aa0c591306d8433f9c96a6768e389030&ei=39

"

Cavan Biggio’s time with the Toronto Blue Jays is over.

The 29-year-old infielder, a fifth-round selection by the Blue Jays organization in 2016, is set to depart after being designated for assignment Friday ahead of the club’s series opener versus the Oakland Athletics.

Biggio’s departure from Toronto’s roster comes as Spencer Horwitz joins the team after spending the first two months of the 2024 season at triple-A Buffalo. Earlier in the day, Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reported the 26-year-old prospect was travelling out West to meet up with the big-league club.

------------------------------

I've wondered before, if his dad's old team would have interest in him.

-------------------------------

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/blue-jays-pitcher-alek-manoah-to-have-surgery-miss-remainder-of-season/ar-BB1nPU4b?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aa0c591306d8433f9c96a6768e389030&ei=22

"

Blue Jays starting pitcher Alek Manoah will undergo surgery and will miss the rest of the season.

Manoah will have surgery to repair the ulnar collateral ligament in his right arm on June 17, Jays manager John Schneider said Friday.

Manoah could wind up having Tommy John surgery, where his UCL is reconstructed.

The diagnosis reportedly came during a visit to Dr. Keith Meister’s officer in Texas on Thursday, after and MRI last week revealed a sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow.

---------------------------------------

hopefully surgery goes well, and in the meantime Alec can find a way to lose another 15-20 pounds.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Biggio- designated for assignment-- and Manoah having season ending surgery

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-designate-cavan-biggio-for-assignment-recall-spencer-horwitz-from-triple-a/ar-BB1nPYtJ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aa0c591306d8433f9c96a6768e389030&ei=39

"

Cavan Biggio’s time with the Toronto Blue Jays is over.

The 29-year-old infielder, a fifth-round selection by the Blue Jays organization in 2016, is set to depart after being designated for assignment Friday ahead of the club’s series opener versus the Oakland Athletics.

Biggio’s departure from Toronto’s roster comes as Spencer Horwitz joins the team after spending the first two months of the 2024 season at triple-A Buffalo. Earlier in the day, Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reported the 26-year-old prospect was travelling out West to meet up with the big-league club.

------------------------------

I've wondered before, if his dad's old team would have interest in him.

-------------------------------

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/blue-jays-pitcher-alek-manoah-to-have-surgery-miss-remainder-of-season/ar-BB1nPU4b?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aa0c591306d8433f9c96a6768e389030&ei=22

"

Blue Jays starting pitcher Alek Manoah will undergo surgery and will miss the rest of the season.

Manoah will have surgery to repair the ulnar collateral ligament in his right arm on June 17, Jays manager John Schneider said Friday.

Manoah could wind up having Tommy John surgery, where his UCL is reconstructed.

The diagnosis reportedly came during a visit to Dr. Keith Meister’s officer in Texas on Thursday, after and MRI last week revealed a sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow.

---------------------------------------

hopefully surgery goes well, and in the meantime Alec can find a way to lose another 15-20 pounds.

Hopefully they can trade Cavan for something. Too many players hitting sub .225 right now though. There’s no excuse for it after 60 games. Some players have to get moved out or the hitting coaches should be fired and if the GM can’t address it, then he should be gone. 

• Upvote 1

4th inning and the Jays once again, are making a AAA call-up look like Cy Young....:classic_dry:

Shulman said something earlier that really struck me....the Jays 1st inning scoreless streak is now the 2nd longest in MLB history....that's got to be embarrassing....

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

4th inning and the Jays once again, are making a AAA call-up look like Cy Young....:classic_dry:

Shulman said something earlier that really struck me....the Jays 1st inning scoreless streak is now the 2nd longest in MLB history....that's got to be embarrassing....

They are 29 games without scoring in the first- 2 more ties the record.

MLB was started in 1869.

Though I'm sure there are more teams now than then, this is still a horrible record to go for.

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Hopefully they can trade Cavan for something. Too many players hitting sub .225 right now though. There’s no excuse for it after 60 games. Some players have to get moved out or the hitting coaches should be fired and if the GM can’t address it, then he should be gone. 

You think Atkins should be allowed to make any more trades?  First step needs to be firing born Atkins and Shapiro and hiring someone qualified to work in a front office.  Letting these baboons do further damage is insanity.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

I have a vague memory of a story involving a guy that did nothing but hit foul balls, in order to wear the pitcher down.

And I wonder

is it easier to deliberately hit fouls balls than to try for hits?

If so, how many foul balls can you hit, before the other team just gives you the walk?

If your team can get 20 extra pitches thrown per plate appearance, that would tire out the pitcher, by the middle of the second inning wouldn't it?

Yes, with a foul ball you do not care where it goes provided it reaches the seats, anywhere in the stands is fine. With a hit you definitely care as there's 9 guys trying to negate it. I don't think any team will just give you the walk as no one wants base runners.

These days most established pitchers will have pitch count of about 85-105 before they get yanked regardless of how they're doing. A couple extra foul balls per at bat will get you 6-7 pitches per at bat. At that rate you can get rid of the starter and into a usually porous bullpen by the 6th inning. Which is a major advantage as a lot of these bullpen pitches have marginal stuff and era's of 5+.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You think Atkins should be allowed to make any more trades?  First step needs to be firing born Atkins and Shapiro and hiring someone qualified to work in a front office.  Letting these baboons do further damage is insanity.

Yes, you’re right. I’m not sure what’s up with this team… Bo is on pace for 10 homeruns, Vlady on pace for 18. 6 players hitting low .200s. 
  Bullpen has disappeared. Team can’t seem to get more than 2 runs most games…. We can’t seem to hit with RISP. 
  I don’t believe this team is this bad, I just don’t think the position players seem to want to play for this management group… 

The starters seem to be giving their all for Pete Walker, beyond that it’s hard to find any positives from this team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Blue Jays play today at 1:07 pacific.

Yesterday's loss leaves them with a 30-33 record 

63 games in, with 99 games to go

14 games behind the Yankees--10.5 behind the 2nd place Orioles

---------------------------------------------

George Springer- what is up with this dude?

Talent-yes

brains- not so much.

Guy makes some really good fielding plays, then sucks at baserunning.--he also makes some really bad fielding plays.

watching after a good outfield catch, running into the dugout, he reminds me of my neighbour's overgrown puppy.

Happy, and goofy, on the verge of peeing himself with excitement.

• Haha 1