Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yup, which means that this needs to be done in the off season in my opinion.  The damage that Atkins can do if you let him make trades isn't worth the risk.

What you talkin' 'bout Hef? You didn't like Teo Hernandez for Erik Swanson and Adam Macko  😆 or Lourdes Gurriel Jr AND Gabriel Moreno for Dalton Varsho? 🤪

Atkins keeps thinking he's close and adds finishing pieces ala Jordan Hicks, Justin Turner or Vogelbach. Failing to realize he's built a sinking ship. He's basically a baseball version of Jim Benning.

Benning kept pretending he was close and adding finishing pieces to a roster like Rousell, Beagle, OEL, Garland. Would anyone here want Benning conducting the rebuild/roster transformation we saw under Allvin/Rutherford?

They can't let Atkins conduct any part of a rebuild. He'll trade Bo and Vladdy for a bag of magic beans.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

What you talkin' 'bout Hef? You didn't like Teo Hernandez for Erik Swanson and Adam Macko  😆 or Lourdes Gurriel Jr AND Gabriel Moreno for Dalton Varsho? 🤪

Atkins keeps thinking he's close and adds finishing pieces ala Jordan Hicks, Justin Turner or Vogelbach. Failing to realize he's built a sinking ship. He's basically a baseball version of Jim Benning.

Benning kept pretending he was close and adding finishing pieces to a roster like Rousell, Beagle, OEL, Garland. Would anyone here want Benning conducting the rebuild/roster transformation we saw under Allvin/Rutherford?

They can't let Atkins conduct any part of a rebuild. He'll trade Bo and Vladdy for a bag of magic beans.

Moving Teo was the beginning of destroying the team culture, that stupid Ohtani chase sealed it.

• Upvote 3
  • chaos 1

Blue Jays only focused on trading rentals; still plan to compete in 2025, says Olney

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/buster-olney-toronto-blue-jays-only-focused-on-trading-rentals-still-plan-to-compete-in-2025-1.2148836

The Toronto Blue Jays entered the MLB All-Star break ranked third from the bottom in the American League standings.

Their 44-52 record has them sitting 9.5 games out of the final AL wild-card spot, and behind five other teams in the hunt for the spot currently held by the Boston Red Sox.

With the outlook for the second half of the season looking grim, the Blue Jays have focused their attention on the trade deadline, but ESPN Baseball Insider Buster Olney says there may not be as big a fire sale as fans may be expecting.

Speaking on First Up on TSN1050 Tuesday, Olney indicated that he has heard the Blue Jays plan to compete in 2025, and their trade deadline plans reflect that.

"What's being communicated from the Blue Jays is they are going to talk about trading all of the rentals on the team, the guys who are free agents at the end of the year," said Olney.

"Players like Chris Bassitt, who is under contract for next year ... are not available because the message coming from the Blue Jays is they intend to win in 2025."

Olney indicated earlier in July that Bassitt, who holds a 3.52 earned-run average through 19 starts, may be the most valued trade piece the Blue Jays could offer if they decide to go for a full rebuild.

"This is not a tear down or rebuild that's going to take a few years. This is with a few tweaks, a few adjustments, [the team thinks they] can be back in 2025," Olney said.

There are a number of players on expiring contracts that Olney says the Blue Jays are likely to move, including starting pitcher Yusei Kikuchi, and veteran hitters Kevin Kiermaier and Justin Turner.

Kikuchi, 33, is a lefty with a fastball that approaches 98mph on occasion and a strong slider, but struggled late in the first half of the season. He held a 3.24 ERA in April and May, but in his last nine starts, that number has spiked to 6.00. 

The Blue Jays placed Kiermaier on revocable waivers earlier in July. The veteran centrefielder, who has won four Gold Gloves in his 12-year career, is hitting .189 in 73 games this season, but can provide value as a late-game pinch runner or defensive replacement.

"Guys like Kikuchi, Kiermaier, Turner, those guys are the ones who are going to be moved, according to what other teams are telling me about their conversations with the Blue Jays," Olney said.

The trade deadline is scheduled for July 30.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-and-guerrero-jr-have-reportedly-discussed-contract-extension-but-the-two-sides-were-not-particularly-close/ar-BB1q9BR9?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=401ab04a3b504b88c4936890d8459970&ei=5

"

The future of the Toronto Blue Jays is very uncertain right now.

It’s been reported that the team will look to move their impending free agents ahead of the trade deadline on July 30 and that they’ll attempt to retool in the winter for 2025, a season that could be the last of the Bo Bichette and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. era in Toronto.

Both Bo and Vlad are eligible to become free agents following the 2025 season. With the Blue Jays sitting dead-last in the American League East for much of the season, there’s been plenty of suggestion that the team should trade both of their young stars to kick off a rebuild, but it seems the front office wants to give this group one more opportunity.

Beyond that? It’s anybody’s guess.

If there isn’t a significant turnaround next year, it’s reasonable to expect a full teardown, possibly starting from the top of the organization, as President and CEO Mark Shapiro’s five-year contract comes to an end following the 2025 season. With that in mind, it seems unlikely either Bichette or Guerrero Jr. will sign long-term contract extensions any time soon, so speculation about them as trade candidates will continue.

At this week’s All-Star Game festivities in Texas, Vladdy spoke with Mark Feinsand of MLB.com and reaffirmed his desire to stay in Toronto, noting that he and the Blue Jays have discussed a contract extension but are nowhere close to a deal.

“Like I’ve mentioned before, I control what I can control,” Guerrero said through an interpreter. “I’m just trying to go out there and give my 100 percent and whatever happens after that, I can’t control it.”

Guerrero and the Blue Jays have discussed a potential extension, but sources said the two sides were not particularly close to getting a deal done. Guerrero said he hopes to remain with the only club for which he has ever played, but he knows that the possibility of a trade will continue to exist.

“I would love to be in Toronto,” Guerrero said. “My family loves Toronto, my kids love Toronto, but at the end of the day, it’s a business. We all need to understand that, so whatever happens happens. Definitely, I would like to stay there.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-and-guerrero-jr-have-reportedly-discussed-contract-extension-but-the-two-sides-were-not-particularly-close/ar-BB1q9BR9?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=401ab04a3b504b88c4936890d8459970&ei=5

"

The future of the Toronto Blue Jays is very uncertain right now.

It’s been reported that the team will look to move their impending free agents ahead of the trade deadline on July 30 and that they’ll attempt to retool in the winter for 2025, a season that could be the last of the Bo Bichette and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. era in Toronto.

Both Bo and Vlad are eligible to become free agents following the 2025 season. With the Blue Jays sitting dead-last in the American League East for much of the season, there’s been plenty of suggestion that the team should trade both of their young stars to kick off a rebuild, but it seems the front office wants to give this group one more opportunity.

Beyond that? It’s anybody’s guess.

If there isn’t a significant turnaround next year, it’s reasonable to expect a full teardown, possibly starting from the top of the organization, as President and CEO Mark Shapiro’s five-year contract comes to an end following the 2025 season. With that in mind, it seems unlikely either Bichette or Guerrero Jr. will sign long-term contract extensions any time soon, so speculation about them as trade candidates will continue.

At this week’s All-Star Game festivities in Texas, Vladdy spoke with Mark Feinsand of MLB.com and reaffirmed his desire to stay in Toronto, noting that he and the Blue Jays have discussed a contract extension but are nowhere close to a deal.

“Like I’ve mentioned before, I control what I can control,” Guerrero said through an interpreter. “I’m just trying to go out there and give my 100 percent and whatever happens after that, I can’t control it.”

Guerrero and the Blue Jays have discussed a potential extension, but sources said the two sides were not particularly close to getting a deal done. Guerrero said he hopes to remain with the only club for which he has ever played, but he knows that the possibility of a trade will continue to exist.

“I would love to be in Toronto,” Guerrero said. “My family loves Toronto, my kids love Toronto, but at the end of the day, it’s a business. We all need to understand that, so whatever happens happens. Definitely, I would like to stay there.”

it would make sense that this management group would wait to make the trade value as low as possible before doing anything.

This is just so Toronto culture in its desperation to cling to shitty management. Looking back, its hard to believe that they let that early 90s team happen.

• Upvote 1

Vladdy's interviews seem a bit weird, to me.

Interpreter about half the time, and half the time just him.

But the questions, don't seem different, or harder.

nor does it seem to matter who is doing the interview.

Kind of wondering if he does it this way, just so someone else has a job?

• Haha 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-current-challenges-feel-familiar-for-vernon-wells/ar-BB1qae0j?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=0306d89572a94c39a450b8d0f98b23a9&ei=30

A

RLINGTON, Texas — Vernon Wells played through several competitive cycles during the 12 seasons he spent with the Toronto Blue Jays, so the team’s current situation — lost year, core timing out, thin farm system, directional uncertainty — are all very familiar to him.

From a distance, he’s been following and struggles to understand how they’ve fallen to 44-52 at the all-star break. “In my opinion, there’s enough talent in that room to win,” he says, but he’s also been on enough teams similarly talented that didn’t win to know how difficult it can be to piece everything together.

----------------

a lot more at link

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/examining-five-blue-jays-prospects-who-could-earn-big-league-showcases-post-trade-deadline/ar-BB1qajNQ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=6568f4c3e0c44ce6a42639d17cb79c78&ei=45

or the first time since 2019, the Toronto Blue Jays will be looking to sell rather than buy at the July 30 trade deadline this season, meaning their roster should look very different in a few weeks.

How different remains a giant question mark. But, the expectation is most of the front office’s work will centre around the franchise’s pending free agents, such as Yusei Kikuchi, Yimi García, Trevor Richards, Justin Turner, Danny Jansen and Kevin Kiermaier.

Big write ups on 5 guys

at link

Edited by Gurn
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Blue Jays only focused on trading rentals; still plan to compete in 2025, says Olney

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/buster-olney-toronto-blue-jays-only-focused-on-trading-rentals-still-plan-to-compete-in-2025-1.2148836

The Toronto Blue Jays entered the MLB All-Star break ranked third from the bottom in the American League standings.

Their 44-52 record has them sitting 9.5 games out of the final AL wild-card spot, and behind five other teams in the hunt for the spot currently held by the Boston Red Sox.

With the outlook for the second half of the season looking grim, the Blue Jays have focused their attention on the trade deadline, but ESPN Baseball Insider Buster Olney says there may not be as big a fire sale as fans may be expecting.

Speaking on First Up on TSN1050 Tuesday, Olney indicated that he has heard the Blue Jays plan to compete in 2025, and their trade deadline plans reflect that.

"What's being communicated from the Blue Jays is they are going to talk about trading all of the rentals on the team, the guys who are free agents at the end of the year," said Olney.

"Players like Chris Bassitt, who is under contract for next year ... are not available because the message coming from the Blue Jays is they intend to win in 2025."

Olney indicated earlier in July that Bassitt, who holds a 3.52 earned-run average through 19 starts, may be the most valued trade piece the Blue Jays could offer if they decide to go for a full rebuild.

"This is not a tear down or rebuild that's going to take a few years. This is with a few tweaks, a few adjustments, [the team thinks they] can be back in 2025," Olney said.

There are a number of players on expiring contracts that Olney says the Blue Jays are likely to move, including starting pitcher Yusei Kikuchi, and veteran hitters Kevin Kiermaier and Justin Turner.

Kikuchi, 33, is a lefty with a fastball that approaches 98mph on occasion and a strong slider, but struggled late in the first half of the season. He held a 3.24 ERA in April and May, but in his last nine starts, that number has spiked to 6.00. 

The Blue Jays placed Kiermaier on revocable waivers earlier in July. The veteran centrefielder, who has won four Gold Gloves in his 12-year career, is hitting .189 in 73 games this season, but can provide value as a late-game pinch runner or defensive replacement.

"Guys like Kikuchi, Kiermaier, Turner, those guys are the ones who are going to be moved, according to what other teams are telling me about their conversations with the Blue Jays," Olney said.

The trade deadline is scheduled for July 30.

Probably for the best.  Sell the rentals and wait for the hiring of qualified management before any bigger decisions are made.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Hmm, Jays play in Seattle in May next year.  Haven't been able to go the last few because my kid plays summer ball ALL July.

• Cheers 1

On 7/17/2024 at 9:18 AM, Gurn said:

Vladdy's interviews seem a bit weird, to me.

Interpreter about half the time, and half the time just him.

But the questions, don't seem different, or harder.

nor does it seem to matter who is doing the interview.

Kind of wondering if he does it this way, just so someone else has a job?

Yah, noticed that as well. I can lip read a bit and it seems Vlad's English is very good now. 

• Cheers 1

^ Not so fast, with that Votto news:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/joey-votto-scratched-from-triple-a-buffalo-lineup-friday/ar-BB1qiC7k?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=14dcf0068f9e4b279197e864ef8d6248&ei=27

"

After originally being scheduled to join the Buffalo Bisons on Friday, Joey Votto was removed from the team’s lineup shortly ahead of first pitch.

The Blue Jays announced that Votto tweaked his right ankle while going through his pre-game work.

Votto will be re-evaluated tomorrow to determine his activity and pain level.

-------------------------

bit more at link.

• Thanks 1