Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-trade-catcher-danny-jansen-to-boston-red-sox-1.2154573

TORONTO — The Toronto Blue Jays traded catcher Danny Jansen to the Boston Red Sox for three prospects on Saturday.

Jansen had played his entire MLB career in Toronto and was the longest-serving Blue Jay on the roster, making his debut with the club on Aug. 13, 2018.

The 29-year-old has six home runs, 18 RBIs and a .212 batting average this season.

In return, Toronto received infielder Cutter Coffey, infielder Eddinson Paulino and right-handed pitcher Gilberto Batista.

The Blue Jays have been active with Tuesday's MLB trade deadline approaching.

Edited by runningback33

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Pretty underwhelming trade returns so far.

Yes, hopefully when they start moving bigger names out, they get some prospects in the top 100. 

The Jansen trade return was severely underwhelming for me. 

This season has been a dismal failure. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Yes, hopefully when they start moving bigger names out, they get some prospects in the top 100. 

It's not an awful return, considering Jansen is a 2 month rental and we got their #15 prospect and a recent 2nd rounder. 

54 minutes ago, Pears said:

It's not an awful return, considering Jansen is a 2 month rental and we got their #15 prospect and a recent 2nd rounder. 

Their #15 in any given organization translates to a 400-500th overall prospect. All bets are off after the top 100 prospects in the mlb. After  200 overall it becomes very unlikely in the MLB that they’ll ever be an everyday player.  
 I would have liked to see a #6-10 prospect coming back as they have a shot of maybe being a full time MLB player…. Could go either way and I think it’s fair for a rental of Jansen’s caliber. 

• ThereItIs 1

Days like this is when I miss "Rocket' Rod Beaton, from the old Dan Russel  Sportstalk show.

Before computers and apps, this guy knew almost every player, which hand, where they played, and how good they were.

He'd be able to break down all this stuff into 3 minutes that made sense.

• Cheers 1

They're probably getting about what you'd expect for these players, but what I find frustrating is I have no faith in this organization continuing their development.

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They're probably getting about what you'd expect for these players, but what I find frustrating is I have no faith in this organization continuing their development.

Nope I don't either. For example Nate Pearson was ranked ahead of Bobby Whitt Jr just a couple years ago. Today he was just traded for scraps. 

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/vladimir-guerrero-jr-garrett-crochet-among-the-coveted-players-ahead-of-mlb-s-trade-deadline/ar-BB1qLm5G?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=206860d4a7b84601a9222c7e817ba2f5&ei=56

"

PHOENIX (AP) — Unless you're the Chicago White Sox — yikes! — there's a lot of parity in Major League Baseball these days.

There are very few teams that look invincible. There aren't many teams that are flat-out awful. And since 12 out of the sport's 30 teams will make the playoffs in October, there is still some hope for most

'

1B VLADIMIR GUERRERO JR., BLUE JAYS

Guerrero is a four-time All-Star but still just 25 years old. He also has a year of control remaining before he hits the market after the 2025 season. That means the Blue Jays will almost certainly want a huge haul to part ways with the slugger, who was batting .297 with 18 homers heading into Saturday's games. Some of Guerrero's teammates — particularly lefty Yusei Kikuchi — could also be on the move.'

----------------------------------more at link

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Their #15 in any given organization translates to a 400-500th overall prospect. All bets are off after the top 100 prospects in the mlb. After  200 overall it becomes very unlikely in the MLB that they’ll ever be an everyday player.  
 I would have liked to see a #6-10 prospect coming back as they have a shot of maybe being a full time MLB player…. Could go either way and I think it’s fair for a rental of Jansen’s caliber. 

We have a better chance of seeing the trade returns at Nat Bailey. 

I don't know why this team is being run into the ground so badly. Maybe they want to sell the team?

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/vladimir-guerrero-jr-garrett-crochet-among-the-coveted-players-ahead-of-mlb-s-trade-deadline/ar-BB1qLm5G?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=206860d4a7b84601a9222c7e817ba2f5&ei=56

"

PHOENIX (AP) — Unless you're the Chicago White Sox — yikes! — there's a lot of parity in Major League Baseball these days.

There are very few teams that look invincible. There aren't many teams that are flat-out awful. And since 12 out of the sport's 30 teams will make the playoffs in October, there is still some hope for most

'

1B VLADIMIR GUERRERO JR., BLUE JAYS

Guerrero is a four-time All-Star but still just 25 years old. He also has a year of control remaining before he hits the market after the 2025 season. That means the Blue Jays will almost certainly want a huge haul to part ways with the slugger, who was batting .297 with 18 homers heading into Saturday's games. Some of Guerrero's teammates — particularly lefty Yusei Kikuchi — could also be on the move.'

----------------------------------more at link

Atkins trades Vladdy that'll kill the vast majority of the fan base. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Pears said:

Atkins trades Vladdy that'll kill the vast majority of the fan base. 

I guess I have to wonder, why would vladdy stay after next year? The team is pooched.

It needs a full teardown so they can draft elite talent again.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

18 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Hopefully they hire qualified management before moving big names out.  There's no reason to allow Atkins to make any more moves and do more damage than he already has.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I guess I have to wonder, why would vladdy stay after next year? The team is pooched.

It needs a full teardown so they can draft elite talent again.

And a full teardown so they can develop talent again.

• ThereItIs 1

On 7/27/2024 at 5:32 PM, Bob Long said:

Pretty underwhelming trade returns so far.

That's what happens when management says they're only trading expiring contracts. You won't get much of a return for 2 months availability.

Further to you point though, I get what the Jays are doing here....basically acquiring as many pieces as possible, but underwhelming doesn't do some of them justice. I forget which deal it was (Jansen, I think) but one of the guys we got back was hitting a buck $.67 in A ball.

I had to double check to make sure I was seeing it right....:classic_wacko:

• Like 1