Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

On 8/18/2024 at 11:51 AM, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-will-reportedly-entertain-trade-offers-for-bo-bichette/ar-AA1p0DoH?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=d96675bac27041a993a148ab25c592e2&ei=26

"

It’s been a season to forget for Bo Bichette. Actually, it’s been a season-and-a-half to forget for the Blue Jays shortstop. Ever since dealing with leg injuries dating back to last August, Bichette hasn’t quite been the same.

And as he continues to rehab his calf injury, he’s ramping up baseball activity as the two-time All-Star attempts to make a return before the end of the year. And with all eyes squarely upon Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and his next contract, Bichette has faded into the background.

As the Blue Jays continue to ponder their future with or without their franchise figureheads, it appears they may be ready to move on from at least one staple in their lineup.

This tidbit from Bob Nightengale’s latest piece at USA Today unearthed something that people have been whispering about in the background, but now it has been substantiated (credit to Brandon Wile for finding the pullquote).

Expand article logo  Continue reading

The Toronto Blue Jays are expected to entertain trade offers this winter for shortstop Bo Bichette, who has no plans to

stay in Toronto once he’s a free agent after the 2025 season.

This doesn’t mean the Blue Jays will trade Bichette in the offseason, but with everything that’s transpired this season, it would not be a shocker to see Bichette in a non-Blue Jays uniform in 2025. While Vladdy has publicly stated his desire to stay in Toronto long term, Bichette has been coy about his future with the Blue Jays.

Nightengale’s report also lines up with something Jeff Blair said last week on Blair & Barker, indicating he also believes the probability of the Blue Jays trading Bichette this winter is high:

Right now, if I had to rank Bo coming back without a new contract, Bo being traded, or Bo getting a new free agent deal, I would go 1.) Bo being traded, 2.) Bo coming back with the same contract, 3.) Bo coming back with a deal, buying out his free agency.

I absolutely believe Bo needs a change of scenery. I think everything we’ve seen tells us that.

Even if he has no interest in re-signing past 2025 with the Blue Jays, it doesn’t mean the Blue Jays are beholden to trade away their shortstop. But if the guy doesn’t want to be here, and he already has one foot out of the door in his mind already, it makes sense for the Blue Jays to game plan for life after Bichette and pull the parachute one year early and at least recoup some value.

-------------------

bit more at link

Didn’t Sharpiro literally say a few weeks ago, they have no internal discussions of trading either Bo or Vlad, this off-season and plan on competing next year? That the total opposite of “expecting to entertain offers” for him.

I also highly doubt they’ll be trading him, when his value is at its lowest. 

I think the only possible way of them trading Bo, is if they somehow get Soto.

Edited by shiznak

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Didn’t Sharpiro literally say a few weeks ago, they have no internal discussions of trading either Bo or Vlad, this off-season and plan on competing next year? That the total opposite of “expecting to entertain offers” for him.

I also highly doubt they’ll be trading him, when his value is at its lowest. 

I think the only possible way of them trading Bo, is if they somehow get Soto.

Yep. It's entirely possible that they'll keep Bo until his current deal expires. I guess the speculation comes from the fact that several sources have reported that he won't re-sign in Toronto, so if you want to get something for him, you'll have to listen.

I think best case Ontario is that he has a bounce back season next year. If the Jays are in contention, then great. If not, maybe they can move him to a contender and get some futures in return. Another trade like the Kikuchi deal would be nice....

On 8/18/2024 at 11:51 AM, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-will-reportedly-entertain-trade-offers-for-bo-bichette/ar-AA1p0DoH?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=d96675bac27041a993a148ab25c592e2&ei=26

"

It’s been a season to forget for Bo Bichette. Actually, it’s been a season-and-a-half to forget for the Blue Jays shortstop. Ever since dealing with leg injuries dating back to last August, Bichette hasn’t quite been the same.

And as he continues to rehab his calf injury, he’s ramping up baseball activity as the two-time All-Star attempts to make a return before the end of the year. And with all eyes squarely upon Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and his next contract, Bichette has faded into the background.

As the Blue Jays continue to ponder their future with or without their franchise figureheads, it appears they may be ready to move on from at least one staple in their lineup.

This tidbit from Bob Nightengale’s latest piece at USA Today unearthed something that people have been whispering about in the background, but now it has been substantiated (credit to Brandon Wile for finding the pullquote).

Expand article logo  Continue reading

The Toronto Blue Jays are expected to entertain trade offers this winter for shortstop Bo Bichette, who has no plans to

stay in Toronto once he’s a free agent after the 2025 season.

This doesn’t mean the Blue Jays will trade Bichette in the offseason, but with everything that’s transpired this season, it would not be a shocker to see Bichette in a non-Blue Jays uniform in 2025. While Vladdy has publicly stated his desire to stay in Toronto long term, Bichette has been coy about his future with the Blue Jays.

Nightengale’s report also lines up with something Jeff Blair said last week on Blair & Barker, indicating he also believes the probability of the Blue Jays trading Bichette this winter is high:

Right now, if I had to rank Bo coming back without a new contract, Bo being traded, or Bo getting a new free agent deal, I would go 1.) Bo being traded, 2.) Bo coming back with the same contract, 3.) Bo coming back with a deal, buying out his free agency.

I absolutely believe Bo needs a change of scenery. I think everything we’ve seen tells us that.

Even if he has no interest in re-signing past 2025 with the Blue Jays, it doesn’t mean the Blue Jays are beholden to trade away their shortstop. But if the guy doesn’t want to be here, and he already has one foot out of the door in his mind already, it makes sense for the Blue Jays to game plan for life after Bichette and pull the parachute one year early and at least recoup some value.

-------------------

bit more at link

I'm fine with this as long as Atkins and Shapiro have been replaced with people qualified to work in a front office.  You can't let those idiots make a trade of this importance.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Joey Votto has decided to retire....not really surprising, but I have to say, it's too bad that he couldn't have made an appearance in the series against the Reds....

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but before the season started I placed a 1$ bet that Votto would get in at least a single AB with the Jays during the season. I waited 6 months just to learn, today, that I will not be winning my extra dollar on my wager. 😂 As soon as I placed it he stepped on that dang bat in the dugout. 🤦‍♂️

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Joey Votto has decided to retire....not really surprising, but I have to say, it's too bad that he couldn't have made an appearance in the series against the Reds....

I'd have brought him up for the series.

Jays are not making the play offs, and it would have been a good send off to a great Canadian, hall of famer player-- especially if it was known he was going to retire.

Fantastic way to go out, for a true great of baseball.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Jays are not making the play offs, and it would have been a good send off to a great Canadian, hall of famer player-- especially if it was known he was going to retire.

My thoughts exactly. He certainly could have played in the series finale.

One of many missed opportunities this season....

• Upvote 1

Mariners- need a manager:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/report-mariners-fire-manager-scott-servais-amid-collapse-in-standings/ar-AA1pgubD?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=662cfcba21da4c0c9340c335515dedd9&ei=20

"

The Seattle Mariners are firing their manager after a stretch of losses that could cost them a playoff spot, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

Manager Scott Servais was dismissed on Thursday and replaced by former Mariners player Dan Wilson. Servais was in his ninth season and guided the Mariners to their only playoff appearance in the last 22 years when Seattle reached the ALDS in 2022. Wilson has never served as a big-league coach but has been working as a special assignment coordinator and broadcaster in Seattle since spring training.

The Mariners at one point held a 10-game lead in the AL West but enter play Thursday five games back in the division and 7.5 games out of a wild-card spot. They have lost seven of their last eight games, including a three-game sweep by the Dodgers this week.

The performance of the Mariners roster has been as polar opposite as possible this season. Their pitching staff is elite and they lead the majors in both team ERA (3.53) and starters ERA (3.32) on the backs of Luis Castillo, George Kirby, Logan Gilbert and Bryce Miller. But their offence has been bone-dry all season, ranking 27th in runs scored (503) and 30th in team batting average (.216).

The Mariners tried to patch those holes in the lineup by acquiring Randy Arozzarena and Justin Turner at the trade deadline but so far in August the offensive numbers have remained among the worst in baseball.

Even with Servais out the Mariners, for now, remain in the playoff picture. But in the off-season they will have to negotiate new contracts with Gilbert, Kirby, Miller and Arozzarena and find players to help turn the offence around.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Bringing up Votto would mean purchasing his contract and removing someone off the 40 man roster. As much as I would love to see Votto in a Jays jersey, even for one appearance. He’s 40yrs old and was batting below .150 in Triple A. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Bringing up Votto would mean purchasing his contract and removing someone off the 40 man roster. As much as I would love to see Votto in a Jays jersey, even for one appearance. He’s 40yrs old and was batting below .150 in Triple A. 

I think had Toronto been more successful and been in the playoffs or competing for a wildcard, they would have brought Votto up just for his veteran leadership and experience alone. 
  But with it clear that they’re going for a rebuild and with it coming out that Bichette has made it clear to management that he’s not gonna be back after his service time… it makes no sense to have Votto around. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

The business end of the situation agrees with you Shizzy, but I looked at it more as a "throwing the fanbase a bone" move. The fans haven't had a lot to cheer about this season and giving the hometown boy a proper sendoff against his former team would have generated a lot of interest.

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2024 at 3:37 PM, RupertKBD said:

The business end of the situation agrees with you Shizzy, but I looked at it more as a "throwing the fanbase a bone" move. The fans haven't had a lot to cheer about this season and giving the hometown boy a proper sendoff against his former team would have generated a lot of interest.

I think at the beginning of the season he said didn’t want to take someone’s spot; that he wanted to earn it. Not sure who you’re going to cut off the 40-man roster. Cuas? Burr? Eisert? Their bullpen arms are already as shallow as it is. 

On another note. It isn’t a coincidence that since Matt Hague temporarily took over for Mattingly (apparently had surgery), the offence has exploded. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, shiznak said:

I think at the beginning of the season he said didn’t want to take someone’s spot; that he wanted to earn it. Not sure who you’re going to cut off the 40-man roster. Cuas? Burr? Eisert? Their bullpen arms are already as shallow as it is. 

On another note. It isn’t a coincidence that since Matt Hague temporarily took over for Mattingly (apparently had surgery), the offence has exploded. 

Gotta say, after all the trades, one thing I really like about the Jays' offense now is the lefty/righty balance....

• Cheers 1