Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

54 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Jays play at 4 pacific today, sadly it is a Chris Bassitt start. Guy is a fine pitcher, but I was really looking forward to seeing Bowden Francis pitch--- which happens tomorrow.

How Francis finishes this year will be super interesting.  Sounds like he has figured out that splitter.  Now, will it be something like Gausman where, when mechanics go off, so does his effectiveness, or will he be able to keep those same mechanics.  It'll be interesting to see.

In other areas, if the Jays want to be a contender next year they can't expect internal players to fill all the holes.  For the lineup, IMO, they need 2 near all-star quality players.  What happens the rest of the year may dictate where they do their shopping.  One of Horwitz/Wagner could take a spot on the right side of the infield.  One of Loperfido/Barger can be the 4th outfielder.  Then the Jays can the 2 best players possible to fill LF/3B/DH.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Some of those young guys look very good.

however they are playing in an almost 'garbage time' scenario.

Gets back to the question- are Shapiro and the rest, really the dudes that should be figuring out who stays and who goes?

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2024 at 12:38 PM, Pears said:

Jays currently following the ill advised path of the 2018-2022 Canucks (minus 2020) of going on late season runs to ruin draft position. Though I have to give credit for the job these kids are doing. 

Even worse, it might prevent ownership from hiring qualified management instead of the imbeciles currently infesting the front office.  Atkins can't be allowed to do more damage than he's already done and Shapiro doesn't care about winning enough to be trusted to hire a replacement.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

For me:

1.  Bo?:  I've got no problems bringing him back.  I've also got no problems trading him, but that would mean bringing in another impact bat if you do (I think this year is just an off year, and he should bounce back).  I know his contract status may influence decisions and if he won't resign and you get a good offer, you have to trade him.

2.  Jordan Romano?  As the closer?  Definitely not.  A part of the bullpen, hopefully.

3.  Bloss piggy backing on Rodriguez?  Sure, would be great to see Bloss in the majors before the end of the year if deemed ready.

4.  Francis 2025 spot.  Assuming he doesn't crater in September, yeah, I'd pencil him in.

5.  Horwitz in the lineup next year?  I'm fine with that at 2nd base.  Probably means you flip Wagner for something as I don't see room for both of them.  Just don't count on Horwitz as being 1 of those 2 impact bats needed for this lineup next year.

6.  Barger?  I don't want to give up on him, but I'm also not ready to give him an everyday position.  Once again, this team needs to near all-star caliber bats added to this lineup and it needs to come at someone's expense.

7.  Schneider benefit from Triple A?  My gut is leaning towards no at this point of the year.

• Upvote 2

Does Bo Bichette want to stay in Toronto?
The Toronto Blue Jays are expected to entertain trade offers this winter for shortstop Bo Bichette, who has no plans to stay in Toronto once he's a free agent after the 2025 season.
I Don't know how they replace the versitility of this player...

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Jesus, Schwarber isn't going to want to leave Toronto.

Might want to trade for the guy.

Seems to me it might not be a bad idea to  trade for players that do have a history, of good play in your home stadium.

An extra .020 or .030 average will likely help a bit over 81 games at home.

• Thanks 1

Pearson threw a clean 8th to be a part of the Cubs combined no hitter today.  Apparently that is the 14th no-hitter in Cubs history.  I know the Cubs have been around much much longer than the Jays, but 14-1 is a very wide margin.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1