Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Looking more and more like Dodgers - Yankees.....

Good news for League and TV execs.....bad news for those of us who hate that teams can buy championships....:classic_dry:

I won't watch a second of it on purpose. 

Still shaking my head that TO management thought they would land Ohtani. Pass the pipe, dude.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/18/2024 at 9:46 AM, RupertKBD said:

Looking more and more like Dodgers - Yankees.....

Good news for League and TV execs.....bad news for those of us who hate that teams can buy championships....:classic_dry:

I'm intrigued by it.   I've watched more baseball these playoffs than I have in years.  

(Although I still think the games are too damn long!)

4 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Dodgers advance to the World Series! Final two are the league’s biggest spenders, who would have thought?

Now hold on.  If you look at teams' payrolls, it tells us a different story:

image.thumb.png.15f115284552d93f1f2f6d6ecfa19133.png

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/mlb/mlb-teams-highest-payrolls-2023-bm15/

So while the Yankees have the second highest payroll in the league, we see the Dodgers are the plucky, small-town underdogs trying to take on Goliath.

:classic_happy:

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Now hold on.  If you look at teams' payrolls, it tells us a different story:

image.thumb.png.15f115284552d93f1f2f6d6ecfa19133.png

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/mlb/mlb-teams-highest-payrolls-2023-bm15/

So while the Yankees have the second highest payroll in the league, we see the Dodgers are the plucky, small-town underdogs trying to take on Goliath.

:classic_happy:

Aren’t the dodgers only giving Ohtani 2 bananas on the payroll? 👀

So who was the NLCS MVP?

So many stars to choose from.  Was it Ohtani?  Or maybe Mookie?  Or maybe Freddie Freeman playing through pain?

Nope.  It was some guy named Tommy Edman that the Dogers picked up just before the trade deadline.   :classic_biggrin:

Dodgers' unlikely hero Edman wins NLCS MVP

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/3104294/amp

• Cheers 1

We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of former Dodgers great Fernando Valenzuela.

“Fernandomania” swept through baseball in 1981 when the 20-year old rookie sensation began the season 8-0 with a 0.50 ERA. The lefthander capped off his incredible year by winning both the NL Rookie of the Year and Cy Young Awards while helping lead Los Angeles to a World Series title.

Valenzuela pitched 17 Major League seasons, was a 6-time All-Star, and has the most wins (173) and strikeouts (2,074) of any Mexican-born pitcher.

He spent the last 22 years as a Spanish language broadcaster for the Dodgers, who retired his No. 34 in 2023.

image.thumb.png.2787b2a2ad58214422574541819d7e6b.png

• Sad 2

A couple of items from the ba$eball $ports $cene:

Ohtani's historic home run ball fetches nearly $4.4M US amid ongoing ownership dispute

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/shohei-ohtani-auction-historic-home-run-ball-dodgers-mlb-1.7361183

and

2024 World Series ticket prices: Cheapest Yankees vs. Dodgers ticket over $1000

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/cheapest-ticket-prices-yankees-dodgers-world-series-soaring-above-1000

Scalpers gonna scalp.

• Thanks 1

Manfred expects automated strike zone within next 4 years.

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said Wednesday that it's only a matter of time before the league adopts some version of an automated strike zone.

"I think you will see some version of the automated strike zone in the big leagues in the next four years,"

Manfred told "The Dan Patrick Show" on Wednesday. "The technology piece of it is so robust. Literally, the path of the pitches is tracked good to 1/100th of an inch. It's hard to ignore that technology."

Triple-A games have been using a fully automated strike zone since the beginning of the 2023 season. The league was also testing out a challenge system during that time and made the permanent switch to it in June.

"We have decided that we're going to test the challenge version. There's two versions of ABS (automated ball-strike system). One where every pitch gets called in the umpire's ear, and the other that's a challenge system. We're going to test the challenge system in spring training with major-league players."

Manfred's contract runs through the 2028 campaign. He previously said he plans to step down when his deal expires in January 2029.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1