RWJC

On 10/23/2023 at 10:50 AM, canucks curse said:

We have imo 3-4 top 4 D in system 

Hirose willander 

D. EP mcward 

we should use 2025 1st and some of our excess wingers to target another top 4 D

we also have some organization depth in net with tilipio and silovs 

Some Combination of

Klimovich, Karlsson, podkolzin, Hogz, 2025 1st, silovs Garland, should be able to nab a top 4 D man 

That's very bullish.   Like saying Stetcher was a top four D, just because we had to play him as one.   Of that group, the only blue chip is Willander.    The rest likely depth guys, 7-8's, who might end up playing games, best case maybe bottom pairing that like Stecther, can move up a bit as needed.   Think Brisbois as a more likely career path.   He'd probably be on the team right now if he wasn't injured - and his role is exactly that, injury replacement.  

Agree we should be looking to trade for  a legitimate top four.   Teams  likely willing to do that are bad ones looking to rebuild.     We could also just wait for Bear.   Even then we'd need to make a trade and shed cap.   Would be over once Soucy is back. 

• ThereItIs 1

It should also be noted that Vancouver is a connection hub for lots of destinations.  I think he lives in the Okanagan so could have literally been going anywhere to start skating even on his own or with some college or junior team to ramp up his fitness.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not sure who you've been watching, he's been pretty effective overall. He skates well, hits well and considering he was just watching from the press box for awhile, I think he's been improving in general every game.

Not saying he's the second coming of Bobby Orr or anything, but for the most part, he's been pretty solid for 775k. 

TSN shows him as -6, but I think that's an error. If you look at his game log, last night was the first time he has been on the negative side of +/- since Sept 24th, preseason in Calgary.

Link: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player/noah-juulsen/106631

The -6 is correct. The error is with the game logs on TSN. They even show Juulsen as a +1 in the game against Philly when they shut us out 2-0.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Provost said:

It should also be noted that Vancouver is a connection hub for lots of destinations.  I think he lives in the Okanagan so could have literally been going anywhere to start skating even on his own or with some college or junior team to ramp up his fitness.

So what you're saying is Bear back to Edmonton so he can save their defense e5

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I figured that much, although he'd be on the top pairing there.

Probs, they're a mess 

Be interesting to see where he ends up, I haven't really read anything about him being linked to other teams 

If he's willing to sign cheap I imagine there'd be at least one or two other teams interested 

8 hours ago, Provost said:

I don’t actually know the full rules regarding signing players by Dec 1st or not being eligible.  I think it is just unsigned RFAs and not UFAs.

That is really the only pinch point

and then what's the rule about clearing waivers when they join the team? that's only if they were playing overseas beyond a certain date, righf!?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We’re not in a position to overpay for a 6/7 defenseman.

Better to save that cap space until the deadline where it’s more valuable.

Lots of teams with injuries on D.  This is a guy to get on a pro-rated deal under $1.5 million for the rest of the season.

Anything more than that and let the Leafs use their Klingberg LTIR space on a 3rd pairing guy.

• Cheers 1

Let not get in a bidding war for Bear, we have McWard and Juulsen. Unless they can move Myers I just don't see the point. Do the sit 6M in the press box or waive Myers? When the D is Healthy;

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Cole

Zadorov Myers

I don't see it happening unless the trade Myers. But then Bear better stay healthy or we all of a sudden have 1 NHL RHD 

3 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Let not get in a bidding war for Bear, we have McWard and Juulsen. Unless they can move Myers I just don't see the point. Do the sit 6M in the press box or waive Myers? When the D is Healthy;

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Cole

Zadorov Myers

I don't see it happening unless the trade Myers. But then Bear better stay healthy or we all of a sudden have 1 NHL RHD 

Could waive Myers and based on how he's been playing the last week, send him to Abbotsford for a few days...

Assuming we sign Bear on a prorated contract of say about 1.2 million for the rest of the season, we'd actually come out ahead... 😉

• ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Cole

Zadorov Myers

Yeah, definitely don't get into a bidding war over Bear.  That'd be like getting into a bidding war over a Toyota Corolla.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Lots of teams with injuries on D.  This is a guy to get on a pro-rated deal under $1.5 million for the rest of the season.

Anything more than that and let the Leafs use their Klingberg LTIR space on a 3rd pairing guy.

Yup. Happy to have him back at $1.5m +/-, prorated. But have zero desire to get in to a bidding war over him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Cole

Zadorov Myers

I actually think McWard would be a legit good partner for Zads