[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

Just now, Bob Long said:

Is he tho? Bear doesn't make more mistakes than Myers for 1/3 the price.

Myers’ cap is cleared after this season. If we could clear his cap now and bring in Bear (clearing 5 mil) that’s great. But Myers is still a better player in the #6 role. Bear is just an okay kind of player to me. Switching the two (for me) is only attractive if it results in a 5 mil cap savings. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Myers’ cap is cleared after this season. If we could clear his cap now and bring in Bear (clearing 5 mil) that’s great. But Myers is still a better player in the #6 role. Bear is just an okay kind of player to me. Switching the two (for me) is only attractive if it results in a 5 mil cap savings. 

Hmm. I have to trust your empties on this.

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

How are we debating Bear vs Myers? Myers' one value was size. With Soucy and now Zadorov his one niche is gone. Hell, Cole has good enough size we're better off adding Bear and healthy scratching the goof Myers. The only players on this blueline that Myers is better than is Friedman, Juulsen and McWard. And with how Juulsen's been playing lately, Myers might not even be better than him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

How are we debating Bear vs Myers? Myers' one value was size. With Soucy and now Zadorov his one niche is gone. Hell, Cole has good enough size we're better off adding Bear and healthy scratching the goof Myers. The only players on this blueline that Myers is better than is Friedman, Juulsen and McWard. And with how Juulsen's been playing lately, Myers might not even be better than him.

Yeah, and McWard still has potential to get better.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

When it looked like no one else wanted him, I didn't want Bear.  Now that others are after him I totally do!

image.png.f662d3be0666d3cc2063f45286fee1c0.pngBEEEEEAR!

I don't think Bear signs with the Canucks. Especially if other teams are offering more term (security) and money. 

Signing Bear or not makes no difference.  He is a depth player and not a difference maker for this team.  If he signs a 1 year deal for 1M ish fine.  But anything longer or much more expensive is not in the team's best interests.  He's not great, plain and simple.

9 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Signing Bear or not makes no difference.  He is a depth player and not a difference maker for this team.  If he signs a 1 year deal for 1M ish fine.  But anything longer or much more expensive is not in the team's best interests.  He's not great, plain and simple.

Especially after surgery and sitting for this long. 

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Now that we have Zadorov I'm warming up to the idea. It is dangerous if we don't replace him though and Bear has a set back.

Even if you can say retain $2m on Myers, get some middling assets back and use some of that space for say Peeke (which I don't think is setting the bar high) and bank the rest, we're still way, WAY ahead IMO.

Even better if you can use it to add a guy like a "Zub" or a "Crouse" type.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Even if you can say retain $2m on Myers, get some middling assets back and use some of that space for say Peeke (which I don't think is setting the bar high) and bank the rest, we're still way, WAY ahead IMO.

Even better if you can use it to add a guy like a "Zub" or a "Crouse" type.

Yeah I'd be down for that in a heartbeat. I saw your idea of third party retention as well. I still am not sure how big a market if any there would be on Myers though. Leafs maybe lol. Love the Zub. Would be a terrific addition.

I'm still not completely sold on Bear but I'm trying not to be biased. For the amount of bashing Myers gets for his gaffes, Bear is pretty poor in that category as well. He's also pretty useless at playing the body. He is a far better offensive thinker, passer, quicker to move the puck, and fleet of foot though. He also has a tiny bit of offensive flair. I think that he meshes a lot better with Cole, Soucy, and Zadorov.

Hughes Hronek

Cole Zadorov

Soucy Bear/Peeke

One of our LD is going to have to switch over when Soucy is healthy. Any preferences?

Crouse would be perfect don't see anyway Arizona lets him go. They're in a playoff spot. Would cost something crazy like Lekkerimaki and our first. Maybe Willander.

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I'd be down for that in a heartbeat. I saw your idea of third party retention as well. I still am not sure how big a market if any there would be on Myers though. Leafs maybe lol. Love the Zub. Would be a terrific addition.

I think somebody will take him for $2m prorated.

I'm still not completely sold on Bear but I'm trying not to be biased. For the amount of bashing Myers gets for his gaffes, Bear is pretty poor in that category as well. He's also pretty useless at playing the body. He is a far better offensive thinker, passer, quicker to move the puck, and fleet of foot though. He also has a tiny bit of offensive flair. I think that he meshes a lot better with Cole, Soucy, and Zadorov.

Well exactly, midpoint or not, his skill set is a better fit with Soucy, and frees up cap space to use elsewhere.

Hughes Hronek

Cole Zadorov

Soucy Bear/Peeke

One of our LD is going to have to switch over when Soucy is healthy. Any preferences?

Guessing Cole, but I'll leave that to the coaches.

Crouse would be perfect don't see anyway Arizona lets him go. They're in a playoff spot. Would cost something crazy like Lekkerimaki and our first. Maybe Willander.

Yeah hence the "Crouse" in quotes. I doubt they move him either, but that's the player type we should be looking for.

• Cheers 1

At least four NHL teams interested in Ethan Bear: agent

Ethan Bear is nearly ready to return to the NHL and his agent says there are multiple teams interested in his service.

The veteran free agent defenceman has been rehabilitating a surgically-repaired shoulder for the past six months or so. He hurt the shoulder — the exact nature of his injury has never been revealed — last May playing for Canada at the IIHF World Championships, aggravating a long-standing issue.

Bear, who is from Saskatchewan but who now makes his off-season home near his wife’s family in West Kelowna, opted to get the shoulder repaired in June, despite knowing this would leave him as a free agent through the summer and fall.

He had been in contract talks with the Vancouver Canucks last spring, but those talks broke off after Bear suffered the injury.

He did know that his strong play to close the 2022-23 season for the Canucks would keep teams, including Vancouver, interested in his services.

And it’s clear the bet on himself has likely paid off.

Jason Davidson, who represents Bear, told Postmedia Thursday afternoon that at least four teams are expected to come watch his client’s on-ice workouts in West Kelowna, so they can assess his readiness for NHL action.

The Canucks are interested in re-signing Bear — GM Patrik Allvin indicated as much last weekend — but with their cap situation they wouldn’t be able to make much more than a league-minimum offer to Bear, unless they are able to make other moves that would clear up cap space.

“I’ve stayed in contact with his agent and we’ll see. He knows what we are and how we play. That’s one thing that could benefit him. We’ll see when he’s ready after coming back from injury and continue to talk,” Allvin said on Sunday.

Bear has been pretty open about his desire to play for the Canucks.

“I would love to come back to the Canucks. I would love to,” he told Postmedia in August.

But he also knew it was likely other opportunities would emerge and left the door open to the possibility a better fit might be found with another team.

“The way the league goes. We’ll see what happens. Someone goes down, a team gets desperate, we’ll see what happens then,” he said.

“I’m not anxious or really worried at the moment. For me, I get all this time to really take care of my body and get it to where I want it, before I have to start competing again. I see it as a blessing, not a curse.”

pjohnston@postmedia.com

@risingaction.bsky.social

https://apple.news/A6zKYbQ38TS2aWtvmEcDkzQ

Edited by RWJC

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Ethan Bear is nearly ready to return to the NHL and his agent says there are multiple teams interested in his service.

The veteran free agent defenceman has been rehabilitating a surgically-repaired shoulder for the past six months or so. He hurt the shoulder — the exact nature of his injury has never been revealed — last May playing for Canada at the IIHF World Championships, aggravating a long-standing issue.

Bear, who is from Saskatchewan but who now makes his off-season home near his wife’s family in West Kelowna, opted to get the shoulder repaired in June, despite knowing this would leave him as a free agent through the summer and fall.

He had been in contract talks with the Vancouver Canucks last spring, but those talks broke off after Bear suffered the injury.

He did know that his strong play to close the 2022-23 season for the Canucks would keep teams, including Vancouver, interested in his services.

Jason Davidson, who represents Bear, told Postmedia Thursday afternoon that at least four teams are expected to come watch his client’s on-ice workouts in West Kelowna, so they can assess his readiness for NHL action.

The Canucks are interested in re-signing Bear — GM Patrik Allvin indicated as much last weekend — but with their cap situation they wouldn’t be able to make much more than a league-minimum offer to Bear, unless they are able to make other moves that would clear up cap space.

“I’ve stayed in contact with his agent and we’ll see. He knows what we are and how we play. That’s one thing that could benefit him. We’ll see when he’s ready after coming back from injury and continue to talk,” Allvin said on Sunday.

“I would love to come back to the Canucks. I would love to,” he told Postmedia in August.

But he also knew it was likely other opportunities would emerge and left the door open to the possibility a better fit might be found with another team.

“The way the league goes. We’ll see what happens. Someone goes down, a team gets desperate, we’ll see what happens then,” he said.

“I’m not anxious or really worried at the moment. For me, I get all this time to really take care of my body and get it to where I want it, before I have to start competing again. I see it as a blessing, not a curse.”

pjohnston@postmedia.com

Really do we want a Smurf on our bottom pairing? Stay clear if the “little” Bear. 

19 minutes ago, RWJC said:

pjohnston@postmedia.com

Meh, probably his agent drumming up interest for some $. He's at best a "show me deal" player at this point in the season and coming off an injury. 

Any offers will be cheap, and the way Juulsen is playing, maybe Bear shouldn't overplay his cards on this team.

Edited by Rekker
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

One of my takeaways from all this is that, one of the worst case scenarios for us on the back end is some kind of:

Hughes-Hronek

Cole/Zadorov - Bear

Soucy-Myers

ive said a million times we need to chase a better 3D than that groups bottom 4 presents… but that’s also by far the best looking D corps we’ve rolled out to start a season in the last decade.  And it seems attainable, with all guys who want to be here. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

One of my takeaways from all this is that, one of the worst case scenarios for us on the back end is some kind of:

Hughes-Hronek

Cole/Zadorov - Bear

Soucy-Myers

ive said a million times we need to chase a better 3D than that groups bottom 4 presents… but that’s also by far the best looking D corps we’ve rolled out to start a season in the last decade.  And it seems attainable, with all guys who want to be here. 

I'm done with Myers though, I don't even want him as the righty on the third pairing. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rekker said:

I'm done with Myers though, I don't even want him as the righty on the third pairing. 

I think a lot of people feel that way but I’d disagree.

I thought Drance made a good point re: Myers and the NJ game.  He played well enough to get the job of trying to match up with Hughes and failed.  (Not that others did better, fwiw)

To me, neither is a surprise.  He’s played overall good hockey this year in a #5 / 3rd pair role, but has never been good enough to match up against the league’s best. 

I know your opinion isn’t based off that one game, but I see that as a microcosm of what he is as a player.  It’s all moot anyways as a bigger vet RHD with size and on pace for 35+points is likely pricing himself out of the bargain area I’d want him back for. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

pjohnston@postmedia.com

Good for him, be neat if a team who wasn't us gave him some term 

• Cheers 1