[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

Oh well. This team already has the 5-6 defense spots covered, so signing Bear would have been redundant.

Not the player you get into a bidding war over. 

Either Washington or Toronto will be his destination, I’m thinking. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

too bad, I liked him as a person and player.

But good for him too, go get that Treliving overpayment Ethan!

I liked him too, but loved him on a cheap contract.

Whatever...by the time Bear's recovered fully and has his previous fitness level, Soucy will be

back with the Canucks.  That eases some of the demands on the individual d minutes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Can't blame a guy for chasing the bag, particularly as a 5-6 guy who isn't likely to make top 4D money 

Canucks should be fine with their depth guys going forward, this season and beyond

not at all. This is probably his last best shot at some serious money. TO has 2.2 mil in LTIR, I bet he gets 2 of that, maybe a little more if they drop one of their current 7 d back down to the AHL.

I did want him here but am also happy for him to earn while he can. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not at all. This is probably his last best shot at some serious money. TO has 2.2 mil in LTIR, I bet he gets 2 of that, maybe a little more if they drop one of their current 7 d back down to the AHL.

I did want him here but am also happy for him to earn while he can. 

Especially if he can get term 9ut of a team, which I don't think we're probably offering 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If the Canucks hadn’t have traded for Zadorov, signing Bear might’ve been more of a pressing need. Players like Bear are easier to find than players like Zadorov. 

Best for the Canucks to focus on the 3-4 spot. 

Juulson has been quietly improving each night too, so maybe he can pretty much bring what Bear does?

I was hoping we could flip 🦒 for a pick by the TDL, but that would have required signing Bear I think. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Juulson has been quietly improving each night too, so maybe he can pretty much bring what Bear does?

I was hoping we could flip 🦒 for a pick by the TDL, but that would have required signing Bear I think. 

The longer this goes on, the more insightful this becomes. 

• Cheers 1

So happy with PA not getting involved in a bidding war, and give us cap issues for next year, as term is likely, what Baer wants, if not an overpayment 1 year deal. 

PA knows, what he wants, and I think they save some cash for the offseason to get us another D man, if needed. 

Also like them to keep a few $ available, should a big rugged top 6 winger suddenly become avaiable, even as loan signing. 

Like Baer, nice kid, and good team mate, but we have an abundance of depth D and not sure Baer will be much better than Myers in the 4rhd spot. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

So happy with PA not getting involved in a bidding war, and give us cap issues for next year, as term is likely, what Baer wants, if not an overpayment 1 year deal. 

PA knows, what he wants, and I think they save some cash for the offseason to get us another D man, if needed. 

Also like them to keep a few $ available, should a big rugged top 6 winger suddenly become avaiable, even as loan signing. 

Like Baer, nice kid, and good team mate, but we have an abundance of depth D and not sure Baer will be much better than Myers in the 4rhd spot. 

we should have some internal competition for the 3rd pair RHD for next year already under contract or on bridge deals - Juulson, Woo, McWard and Johansson could all be battling for that spot.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think Juulsen already does.  Bear is a 3rd pair RHD.  If anybody uses him as a 2nd pair guy, it means they are lacking a true top 4RHD.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we should have some internal competition for the 3rd pair RHD for next year already under contract or on bridge deals - Juulson, Woo, McWard and Johansson could all be battling for that spot.

Yes we definitely will and should they decide to extend Zadorov, they may decide to play Soucy on the rhd 4D...

Think Cole will be gone, but they may extend him, if he wants to play ball. 
Also, still have to keep room for Poolman for 1 more season, in case he comes off LTIR...

Finally, who knows how well/quickly Baer recovers from his injury. 
Baer would be fine on a cheap 1 year show me deal, but that would be it for me. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Even with improvement, I still think Bear has more talen than Juulsen does. 

33 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes we definitely will and should they decide to extend Zadorov, they may decide to play Soucy on the rhd 4D...

Think Cole will be gone, but they may extend him, if he wants to play ball. 
Also, still have to keep room for Poolman for 1 more season, in case he comes off LTIR...

Finally, who knows how well/quickly Baer recovers from his injury. 
Baer would be fine on a cheap 1 year show me deal, but that would be it for me. 

I think Zadorov will eventually be signed to a short term deal (I'm thinking 2-3 year deal). 

Cole, if he could be brought back for cheap depth, I'm all for that. I think he would be excellent in that role given his age. 

Poolman's not coming back. He's been on LTIR forever. His career is done for. 

• Cheers 1