[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes but the difference is the mastercard you're paying off has 22% interest and the new one 6-7%.    Mikheyev likely does most of what Kuzmenko does for us as far as winning goes.   EP needs to get that make that big money, it means we will suffer in other ways.    Pretty much all the experts predicted a drop in shooting percentage this season.    It's not sustainable.   How many goals does Kuzmenko score with Miller instead?   Or someone else's 2nd line.    20-25 is my guess, not like he was tearing it up in the KHL.    To me he's the shiny new toy, and his lustre will fade.   Love his personality.   And don't really want to trade him, we simply have way too much money tied up in our wings right now.

Do agree it sucks.   But facts are we have three NHL regulars on our D right now next year (Hronek still an RFA).   It's partially rebuilt.   Hronek and Soucy.   We have half of 3 lines built.   Adding one more would do wonders for that part of the game.    We have Beau and Garland, not ideal, but something anyways.    Wingers are a lot easier to acquire, via free agency, and don't command the same dough. 

If we could acquire a good 24-26 year old 4-5 on a deep team, for Kuzmenko, i'd pull the trigger.    Gambling on Mikheyev becoming part of EPs "pair".   Brock is already on pace for 50 goals.    Not expecting that.   Maybe Brock instead but wow that would suck for Miller.    

Probably best just to be patient and stay the course.   Next year will be the season that truly defines this teams future, but we might need to finally get ahead of it instead of reacting after the fact, or when it just makes a lot of sense (Horvat - JOT or just on time!).    The other way to do this, is start and keep looking for another JT Miller like trade.   Then we'd be adding without subtracting.   That would be for next years team when we have the cap space. 

I’d go hard after Lawson Crouse. He’s a player we don’t have even in the organization. Put him on Miller’s left wing and move the Italian to the 4th line. All of a sudden we complete our top 6 PLUS we add a true enforcer who can actually beat up Jeannot and Nurse. 

Love me some Lawson Crouse. 2024 1st, Podkolzin and another prospect. Sign me up. Throw in Beauvillier as a cap dump and the trade works perfectly for this year. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Horvat also wasn't moved in the summer. Miller wasn't extended until Sept.

Who's to say they don't both extend? 

TLDR: You're jumping the gun.

Miller was extended on September 2. Which is technically still the summer.  😌

Yes Horvat was traded later but everyone knew he was a goner. Allvin may try to extend both but at the and of the day I see an exact situation as the Miller/Horvat situation. To a tee actually. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We don’t have another Kuzmenko in the organization right now. The closest would be Lekkerimaki. Beauvillier would need an act of God to become a 30 goal scorer. Höglander same thing. Podkolzin is trending to be a 3rd liner. I wouldn’t be taking the risk to trade a 40 goal scorer to wait for these guys to replicate that. 

Kuzmenko isn’t getting 40 goals not playing with Petey. He’s not a play driver. But neither are any of the other guys including Boeser. If you take away Kuzmenko from Petey‘s line then who is replacing all his goals?  

The only way you trade Kuzmenko is if you feel that Lekkerimaki can come in and replace him on Petey’s wing. And you extend Boeser. That’s an option for sure. Play Mikheyev on the left side. If you can get a legit partner for Hughes by trading Kuzmenko then that’s an option. 

1. "We don’t have another Kuzmenko in the organization right now. The closest would be Lekkerimaki. Beauvillier would need an act of God to become a 30 goal scorer. Höglander same thing. Podkolzin is trending to be a 3rd liner. I wouldn’t be taking the risk to trade a 40 goal scorer to wait for these guys to replicate that."

Would this be worth taking a calculated gamble on?  

2. Kuzmenko isn’t getting 40 goals not playing with Petey. He’s not a play driver. But neither are any of the other guys including Boeser. If you take away Kuzmenko from Petey‘s line then who is replacing all his goals?  

Which is exactly my point. Like Kuzmenko, Boeser is NOT a player driver......but would he be able to pop in 39-40 goals being attached at the hip to Petey? (just like Kuzmenko was).  What about Lekkerimaki next season?   

3. The only way you trade Kuzmenko is if you feel that Lekkerimaki can come in and replace him on Petey’s wing. And you extend Boeser. That’s an option for sure. Play Mikheyev on the left side.

That's the calculated gamble that I'd be willing to bet on if it means having

Hughes-[KuzmenkoReturn]

Soucy-Hronek

Cole-Myers

As your defense + Demko and DeSmith as your goaltending duo.   Top 10 defense in the league + Top 10 goaltending in the league + taking a calculated gamble that guys like Boeser and Lekkerimaki can do what Kuzmenko has done playing alongside Petey on the top line.  Guys like Beavillier and Hoglander get more ice-time playing alongside JT Miller.  

p.s._____________Ethan Bear will be a decent addition but he's not going to move the needle much.  Connor Garland, at best, will fetch you the skid marks of Andrew Peeke's shit stained underpants.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Cheers 2

Yup more #6/7 Dmen that’s what’s missing…

No thankyou to Bear 

That said I’d take Bear over Myers.

but really that’s not saying much. 

most guys pick it up in contract years not Myers at least he’s consistent. 
his agent might want to tell him if he wants a nhl job next year he needs to take his head out of his ass. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/20/2023 at 12:22 PM, Canuck You said:

Let's sign another bottom pair defenseman coming off an injury..Why not right?

agree, no...lets not actually fix our D

To PHX

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Silovs

Garland

To VAN

JJ Moser

Lawson Crouse

Milky Petey Kuzy

PDG Miller Boeser

Crouse Suter Beauvillier

Joshua Bluegger Lafferty

Aman 

Hughes Hronek

Cole Moser

Soucy Friedman

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gwarrior said:

I wouldn't hate Bear coming back. But that also means somebody has to go.

I agree with you. Bear is not a 2RD and neither is Meyers. I have been pleasantly surprised by Friedman's game. Can Garland + bring back a 2RD? Hopefully. Bottom line is Vancouver has some young d-men perking up thru the system. 

On 10/20/2023 at 1:22 PM, Canuck You said:

Let's sign another bottom pair defenseman coming off an injury..Why not right?

I think it would be a horrible move to bank on an injured player. We have no luck with that kind of stuff and Bear is a liability defensively to begin with.  He doesn't contribute much offensively either. I wouldn't mind signing him for this year at around 1 mil because we're desperate for anyone who hold their stick in their right hand but please Gawd no multi year deal for this crappy player. We're mere months away from getting rid of the Myers anchor. Please don't jump into another bad contract on a mediocre and injured player.

It's about time this team got serious about finding a proper partner for Hughes. 100% that is not and shouldn't be Ethan Bear.

20 hours ago, Combover said:

No thankyou to Bear 

his agent might want to tell him if he wants a nhl job next year he needs to take his head out of his ass. 

No doubt. Bear should only be a minor consideration. To be honest it's a toss up between him and Myers. He makes just as many bonehead plays and he's too small to challenge players in front and behind the net. Not at all what we need unless it's as depth or a shot in the dark on the weakest right side in hockey. 1 year deal is fine to see if he can help but also to see if he's even going to recover this year after shoulder surgery.

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

I have no problem with bringing back Bear personally. He struck me as being one of the better defensemen for us previously (which partially shows how bad our defense was mind you).

I really think our fan base has been accustomed to such poor defensive play they actually think Bear is good. He's not and we should be setting our sights higher for next year if we want to win.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, canucks curse said:

agree, no...lets not actually fix our D

To PHX

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Silovs

Garland

To VAN

JJ Moser

Lawson Crouse

Milky Petey Kuzy

PDG Miller Boeser

Crouse Suter Beauvillier

Joshua Bluegger Lafferty

Aman 

Hughes Hronek

Cole Moser

Soucy Friedman

Lol what color is the sky in your world?

You're living in a dream world if you think they are going to trade us two stellar players for two bums, a cap dump who they previously dumped on us already, and a decent goalie prospect. :frantic: lol 🤣  tres funny

Would make sense from both side:

Canucks get good RHD depth that knows the organization/system, probably below FMV due to the surgery and uncertainty.

Bear get to show he still belong and that injury is behind him and position himself for signing a bigger contract this summer.  Where better to do that in an organization that you know, instead of coming in somewhere completely new.  I don’t think money will be his priority right now but most likely fit.  I think the Canucks is probably the best one.

All depend whether the Canucks are healthy (most likely not) or if they acquire something bigger before he’s ready.

6 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Would make sense from both side:

Canucks get good RHD depth that knows the organization/system, probably below FMV due to the surgery and uncertainty.

Bear get to show he still belong and that injury is behind him and position himself for signing a bigger contract this summer.  Where better to do that in an organization that you know, instead of coming in somewhere completely new.  I don’t think money will be his priority right now but most likely fit.  I think the Canucks is probably the best one.

All depend whether the Canucks are healthy (most likely not) or if they acquire something bigger before he’s ready.

I sure hope we aquire someone better as Friedman looks about the same as Bear but with more bite so Bear would not be needed anymore.

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2023 at 10:56 PM, Combover said:

No thankyou to Bear 

🤣🤣

On 10/20/2023 at 7:06 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller was extended on September 2. Which is technically still the summer.  😌

Yes Horvat was traded later but everyone knew he was a goner. Allvin may try to extend both but at the and of the day I see an exact situation as the Miller/Horvat situation. To a tee actually. 

Could easily end up being a question of, who signs the most team friendly deal between the two...

Like Brocks game this season, but he has been injury prone and that might move the needle as well...

Agree, at some stage that is likely going to happen, if Lekki continues his progress...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I sure hope we do not resign him as he didn't play great at all.I think McWard played way better in the preseason.

I agree. McWard showed great in camp and preseason - lots to look forward to.

Best part though was when he totally outshined that unsigned Bear guy who didn’t attend camp or play our preseason whatsoever! 

I tire of talk about using Petey to showcase forwards we want to get rid of, i.e. increase their trade value somewhat artificially.

Edit:  I have previously advocated for this behaviour and now think I was mistaken.

I think it is a waste of talent and an insult to Pettersson that we do not prioritize acquiring top end talent to surround one of the absolute best centers in the world.

Couple games ago we had Garland up there, Beauvillier the game before; that type of management must piss Petey off.

We should have the top LW and top RW playing with our best center, imo.

Edited by Goal_thecup
  • Upvote 1

On 10/20/2023 at 6:36 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

It would be risky for sure but consider the following:

1) With the exception of Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko (all three of which whom we should not be trading obviously), Kuzmenko is the only asset on the team that could land us a #2A/#3 calibre defenseman.   

2) Is Kuzmenko a good fit for Tocchet's more structured system?  If not, then why not sell high on the guy?

3) Given Kuzmenko's age, will he be a good long term core piece for us once his contract expires?  How much money will he command (assuming that he continues to flourish here).  

4) To what extent can a franchise center like Pettersson help elevate guys like Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev, Beauvillier, Hoglander, etc. if those guys play with Petey more? (in the absence of Kuzmenko).  Would JT Miller be able to do the same to the aforementioned players (i.e. guys that had been previously playing on the 3rd line now get promoted to play with Miller).   

From a farm promotion perspective, what's more likely next year?  Guys like Raty and/or Podkolzin being ready to 'step up' into the line-up, or guys like Willander, and Woo, Juulsen, being able to step into major roles?  

Consider the following;

For the first time in Pettersson's career, he has 2 wingers (both under 30 years old) with whom he has chemistry and both have skills that complement him so well that he was able to cross the 100 point threshold last year, and is looking poised to obliterate that this year. 

Don't fix what ain't broke. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

We have imo 3-4 top 4 D in system 

Hirose willander 

D. EP mcward 

we should use 2025 1st and some of our excess wingers to target another top 4 D

we also have some organization depth in net with tilipio and silovs 

Some Combination of

Klimovich, Karlsson, podkolzin, Hogz, 2025 1st, silovs Garland, should be able to nab a top 4 D man