[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Friedman looks good out there.  IMO he can do what Bear does.  If Bear comes in after being away for a 8-9 months, then he is probably a 6/7 Dman.

I would sign him to a $1 million deal to replace Juulsen.  

Friedman has been playing well. He has some size and works the boards well. If Bear has an edge it is on offense. He has a decent shot. The seperation isn't enough to make much of an offer to Bear. Ultimately if Hronek continues to play with Hughes then PA has to nab a 2 RD not a 3. I have been a big advocate of building towards serious CUP contention in 2025 but this team is accelerating the process if they continue this level of play. That could change how Alvin approaches player movement. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Friedman has been playing well. He has some size and works the boards well. If Bear has an edge it is on offense. He has a decent shot. The seperation isn't enough to make much of an offer to Bear. Ultimately if Hronek continues to play with Hughes then PA has to nab a 2 RD not a 3. I have been a big advocate of building towards serious CUP contention in 2025 but this team is accelerating the process if they continue this level of play. That could change how Alvin approaches player movement. 

Ottawa is sucking pucks. Maybe we can nab Zub? Garland + our 2024 (top 10 protected) first and Woo? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Is Zub that good? 1st seems pretty high no?

IMHAO he’s a solid second pairing right side D. I thought if we’re moving out Garland in the deal that’s got a cost (don’t want to retain) so add the coast of moving Garland (1.5 mil x 3 more seasons) and I see the first. 

• Vintage 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:57 PM, Provost said:

We should really hope to improve on him, he is a 3rd pairing guy on a good team.  Maybe as a bandaid for the rest of the year pro-rated and cheap.

At this point, it is probably insane to think of breaking up Hughes-Hronek which means we really need a couple 2nd pairing guys (imagine having the cap from Myers/Beauvillier/Garland devoted to two D).

Ian Cole is so far our best D outside the top pairing and better than Bear.  He buys us some time to find a longer term solution or see if a prospect turns into a top 4.

Yep and maybe after this year and Myers contract expires, Canucks could extend Bear to fill Myers' position? 

Bear is listed as the same height, a year younger and about 15 pounds heavier than Friedman, for what it’s worth.   I didn’t notice him in a bad way re: physical play, either.  He also logged a lot more minutes.

Though Friedman with Cole have been great - he’s been sheltered so far. At their likely price, I don’t see why we wouldn’t want both unless we’re bringing back Myers on a significant hometown discount.

2RD is going to be a pain to cover unless we play someone on their off hand.  UFA wise, Pesce is the biggest RHD name by far with actually Myers and a couple of guys (Seabrook and Muzzin) who have long since retired due to injury. 

Dumba and Tanev also kicking around.  Maybe take a run at a big body like Hakanpaa?

In all seriousness, barring trade we might be lucky to land Bear and keep Friedman, especially if they’re on sub ~1.5 mil deals.

Edited by The Duke

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO he’s a solid second pairing right side D. I thought if we’re moving out Garland in the deal that’s got a cost (don’t want to retain) so add the coast of moving Garland (1.5 mil x 3 more seasons) and I see the first. 

Ah ok. Is he physical?

I can envision the costs for a proven top 4 RHD, whether by trade or UFA, being exorbitantly high and difficult for us to structure within contract  increases and without hurting this team as a whole.  Seeing as mgmt been quite good identifying players that they can squeeze value out of against respective cap hit, it wouldn’t surprise me if they have a few targets in mind that are currently younger 4/5/6 Dmen who they believe are ready, or very close, to moving up the depth chart and would have that opportunity here. There is going to be a need longterm to alleviate the salary increases to the core, while also navigating the restriction of the OEL buyout, and as soon as the 2025/26 season we could be looking at a very top heavy $$ club. 

I imagine mgmt is hoping to slot in some farm players into ELC’s by that time which will help, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we forego any of the big names bandied about right now, and instead make a solid hockey investment into an under exploited Dman whom they think can organically assume the mantle of guys we discuss bringing in eg. Pesce.  

There are some serious raises coming up with the way certain players are playing. In my estimation and in accordance with salary inflation and max cap increases:

EP: 12-13

Hronek: 7.5-9

Demko: 8-9

Kuz: 7-8

QH: 11-12+ 

we are going to either have to move on from some folks or see if we can create value out of trading for bridge deal RFAs or early UFA type players in order to keep the core intact. I’m hoping we don’t overpay for 28 year old + Dmen who will command big $$$ and likely get it from clubs competitive for us for players with their type of services. I think we can find some gems, aside from what mgmt is curating in terms of prospect pool, and I hope we explore that route first and foremost. 

Edited by RWJC

I am fairly confident that amongst the struggling teams more than one  will look make the “ shake things up” trade and Canucks will be presented opportunities to upgrade.  There is lots of dissatisfaction out there right now.

6 minutes ago, Screw said:

I am fairly confident that amongst the struggling teams more than one  will look make the “ shake things up” trade and Canucks will be presented opportunities to upgrade.  There is lots of dissatisfaction out there right now.

The pissed off teams in the east are PIT, CBJ, def OTT, FLA and TOR is getting there 

EDM and CGY need a systemic shake up and I doubt they trade with us 

but a there are some calgary players that would make sense for us price depending 

On 11/5/2023 at 1:55 PM, RWJC said:

I can envision the costs for a proven top 4 RHD, whether by trade or UFA, being exorbitantly high and difficult for us to structure within contract  increases and without hurting this team as a whole.  Seeing as mgmt been quite good identifying players that they can squeeze value out of against respective cap hit, it wouldn’t surprise me if they have a few targets in mind that are currently younger 4/5/6 Dmen who they believe are ready, or very close, to moving up the depth chart and would have that opportunity here. There is going to be a need longterm to alleviate the salary increases to the core, while also navigating the restriction of the OEL buyout, and as soon as the 2025/26 season we could be looking at a very top heavy $$ club. 

I imagine mgmt is hoping to slot in some farm players into ELC’s by that time which will help, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we forego any of the big names bandied about right now, and instead make a solid hockey investment into an under exploited Dman whom they think can organically assume the mantle of guys we discuss bringing in eg. Pesce.  

There are some serious raises coming up with the way certain players are playing. In my estimation and in accordance with salary inflation and max cap increases:

EP: 12-13

Hronek: 7.5-9

Demko: 8-9

Kuz: 7-8

QH: 11-12+ 

we are going to either have to move on from some folks or see if we can create value out of trading for bridge deal RFAs or early UFA type players in order to keep the core intact. I’m hoping we don’t overpay for 28 year old + Dmen who will command big $$$ and likely get it from clubs competitive for us for players with their type of services. I think we can find some gems, aside from what mgmt is curating in terms of prospect pool, and I hope we explore that route first and foremost. 

Where's Brock on that list? I can see him taking a discount to stay with the core. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

The way we are playing I wouldn't want to add a guy unless there's a trade.Si far Cole and Friedman look like studs.Soucybwnd Myers look good.Plus QH and Hronek are lights out.

Why would we screw with that?

I'd tend to agree. The defense is humming along very well right now. It would have to be a significant trade that would bring in a top 4 defenseman to mess with this team right now. The chemistry is just right and messing with that could throw things off. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd tend to agree. The defense is humming along very well right now. It would have to be a significant trade that would bring in a top 4 defenseman to mess with this team right now. The chemistry is just right and messing with that could throw things off. 

That’s a talented set of Coaches behind the Canucks bench PB .. I can’t think of many D men that wouldn’t want to be part of the Canucks Defence.. or F it up..

except for Doughty of course , lol

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That’s a talented set of Coaches behind the Canucks bench PB .. I can’t think of many D men that wouldn’t want to be part of the Canucks Defence.. or F it up..

except for Doughty of course , lol

True. A great coaching staff (which Vancouver has) goes a long way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Why would we screw with that?

To be even better? For a player that's a better long term fit?

If you can move Myers and use that cap space to add a younger, legit top 4 RHD that can be part of the team moving forward, via other means...

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be even better? For a player that's a better long term fit?

If you can move Myers and use that cap space to add a younger, legit top 4 RHD that can be part of the team moving forward, via other means...

And what younger RHD is up for grabs this offseason for $6 million or less?

We won't get Hronek at this rate for $6 million.