[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Even with improvement, I still think Bear has more talen than Juulsen does. 

"Talent" is an interesting thing... juulsen was drafted 26th OA in the 1st round.  Bear was a 5th round pick.  By those standards, Juulsen likely has more talent.  It just hasn't translated completely to performance in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Calgary would make sense especially with a Tanev trade. Going back to Edmonton would be very interesting.

feel like he’s going to stay in Canada but who knows.

it’s not the best news for us but if that Adam Larsson rumour : potential trade target is for real I’d be over the moon with acquiring him.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Zadorov will eventually be signed to a short term deal (I'm thinking 2-3 year deal). 

Cole, if he could be brought back for cheap depth, I'm all for that. I think he would be excellent in that role given his age. 

Poolman's not coming back. He's been on LTIR forever. His career is done for. 

Yeah lets see what they can do with Zadorov... He has brought something we've been missing like forever. And he has done fine on the ice as well...

Cole I agree upon, but he may get better offers same as Schenn...

As for Poolman, yes let's see. Regardless until they know, they can put themselves in a corner and get the same Cap issues that they had under Benning.

11 hours ago, R3aL said:

Calgary would make sense especially with a Tanev trade. Going back to Edmonton would be very interesting.

it’s not the best news for us but if that Adam Larsson rumour : potential trade target is for real I’d be over the moon with acquiring him.

I've liked Adam Larsson for years. Very solid player. He'd be a great add.

Kuzmenko + Myers for Larsson + cap dump

Kraken get a scoring winger they need and a replacement for Larsson on RD

Cap would need to be worked out.  Maybe eat 50% on Myers (ufa) and Kuznetsov this season only. 

Next season no retention.  

Edited by WHL rocks

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Kuznetsov + Myers for Larsson + cap dump

Cap would need to be worked out.  Maybe eat 50% on Myers (ufa) and Kuznetsov this season only. 

Kuz Missile ain’t going anywhere. I think we keep Myers too. IMHAO the guy to go for Larsson would be Garland. The Krackheads need top six skill. Would be a fair trade for both clubs. 

10 hours ago, R3aL said:

I think it's very unlikely Seattle trades Larsson this year. He still has one more year on his contract at a very reasonable 4M cap hit and has been 1st or 2nd in ice time every year with Seattle. If they are struggling next season I can see him being a trade deadline target then, but I think they hold onto him this year unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think it's very unlikely Seattle trades Larsson this year. He still has one more year on his contract at a very reasonable 4M cap hit and has been 1st or 2nd in ice time every year with Seattle. If they are struggling next season I can see him being a trade deadline target then, but I think they hold onto him this year unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

Krackheads need top six skill. They would love to get Garland. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Kuznetsov + Myers for Larsson + cap dump

We have Kuznetsov on this team?????

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Give them offer they cant refuse

58 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Me to I wouldn’t understand why but I heard the talk on radio that Friedman brought him up.

I still can’t understand why he didn’t go to July 1st and see what was out there when he signed with them 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Kuzmenko + Myers for Larsson + cap dump

Retaining on Myers makes sense, but is that kind of retention on Kuzmenko even possible? I was under the impression that if you're retaining that you're retaining for the duration of the entire deal or not at all. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Retaining on Myers makes sense, but is that kind of retention on Kuzmenko even possible? I was under the impression that if you're retaining that you're retaining for the duration of the entire deal or not at all. 

Larsson and Kuzmenko have 1 year each left on contract after this season. 

Both teams can retain and even things out for next season. 

I would still be excited to see Bear come back to Vancouver now that he is ready to play and can be signed without much worry by a club. 

Not feeling harsh about Juulsen, I just think Bear is a better fit, representation matters a little, and I think he is a decent player for that 5th or so spot on the club. 

i don't blame Ethan for looking around and exacting the best contract he can get though, it will be interesting to see where he ends up. I think at this point it is pretty much a sure thing that he gets an NHL job. 

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Friedman: Ethan Bear closing in on signing with new team for 2023–24 season (msn.com)

For those that thought we were pursuing Bear? Looks like he is heading to Washington? Not Vancouver.

Probably 2 year deal in Washington over the 1 year deal other teams likely feel comfortable with. 

23 hours ago, HKSR said:

"Talent" is an interesting thing... juulsen was drafted 26th OA in the 1st round.  Bear was a 5th round pick.  By those standards, Juulsen likely has more talent.  It just hasn't translated completely to performance in the NHL.

Two pucks in the face in a single game broken orbital nerve damage and temporary loss of vision really hampered his development. 

https://theathletic.com/889331/2019/03/26/noah-juulsen-takes-an-important-step-recovering-from-his-latest-serious-injury/

Noah Juulsen’s first two seasons have not been without their fair share of drama.

Following a frustrating leg injury that kept him out of action for the first two months of last season, his impressive play with the Laval Rocket led to a call up in February, where he maintained a high level of play for the Canadiens throughout the rest of the season. Juulsen solidified his place in the lineup and earned a roster spot at training camp this season, but after being struck by not one, but two pucks to the face in the same game on Nov. 19 against the Washington Capitals, Juulsen was once again sidelined with a serious injury.

And while his recovery seemed to be going smoothly – he even returned to play for a four-game stretch for the Canadiens in December – there was clearly something wrong with the young defender.

Juulsen had a well-earned reputation of being a two-way defender with the ability to join the rush or carry the puck from one end of the ice to the other. But his eye injury was preventing him from playing at the level he had established through his first 40 games in the NHL.

Once he was reassigned to the Rocket in late December, things only got worse. His play deteriorated to the point that, at times, he was struggling to track pucks that were less than a foot away.

He did not finish the game on Dec. 27 against Belleville, just his third with the Rocket this season.

Three months after being shut down for the third time since making his pro hockey debut, Rocket coach Joël Bouchard received word last week that Juulsen was finally eligible to return to practice, albeit with a non-contact jersey.

“He looked good out there,” Bouchard said following practice Tuesday, one where Juulsen spent most of his time separated from the main group, practicing his timing with goaltending coach Marco Marciano with defence coach Daniel Jacob out sick.

For the most part, his vision seemed fine, though he did lose control of a few pucks during passing drills and wasn’t anticipating the play as well as he usually does, which is par for the course given his recent injury.

Throughout practice, Juulsen kept peering back at his team. His anxiety and anticipation to rejoin them in a full-contact practice was palpable.

There are few things more frustrating for a professional athlete than not being able to suit up for their team. It immediately removes their most important validation tool, one they’ve relied upon throughout their hockey life. And it’s something Juulsen has had to deal with often during his young career.

But all signs point to Juulsen, who wasn’t made available to the media Tuesday, finally being back on track.

“If he’s on the ice it’s because we’re not taking any chances, he’s ready to take the next step. He’s feeling good and he passed all the tests he needed to pass. It’s really a day-to-day situation now, but things are progressing,” Bouchard said.

After receiving a puck to the eye in his first season in the NHL, Bouchard knows all too well about dealing with that type of injury. A broken orbital bone led to him losing his eyesight in one eye for a couple of days.

“It’s different for everyone, but it’s definitely scary,” he said, pausing to shake his head as he recalled the incident.

Stepping on the ice with his teammates is not only encouraging from a recovery point of view, but it should also have a positive effect on Juulsen’s mental health.

“Often times injuries can lead to isolation,” explained Bouchard, noting that Juulsen was set to resume traveling with the team. “Injured players can get lost in the shuffle, and even though we maintained a strong level of communication with him, everyone reacts differently. So it’ll be good for him to get back to the daily grind.

“I told him exactly what I would have wanted to hear as a rookie in the NHL. ‘Don’t think you’re alone in this. We’re with you. Take your time, stay positive and don’t put any extra pressure on yourself, that’s useless.’ And when it comes to Noah, I’m not worried. He’s quite passionate and he clearly wants to get back into the rhythm of things.”

Bouchard refused to even entertain the idea of projecting a return date for Juulsen; he doesn’t want to heighten any expectations. But at the current rate he’s recovering, it wouldn’t be shocking if Juulsen is ready to play in the last few games of the season, which take place in Bridgeport, Syracuse and Binghamton on April 10, 12 and 13, far away from the potential scrutiny of playing so close to Montreal.

Because at this point, it’s a matter of Juulsen getting his feet wet rather than returning to the spotlight.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Diamonds said:

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Two pucks in the face in a single game broken orbital nerve damage and temporary loss of vision really hampered his development. 

https://theathletic.com/889331/2019/03/26/noah-juulsen-takes-an-important-step-recovering-from-his-latest-serious-injury/

Noah Juulsen’s first two seasons have not been without their fair share of drama.

Following a frustrating leg injury that kept him out of action for the first two months of last season, his impressive play with the Laval Rocket led to a call up in February, where he maintained a high level of play for the Canadiens throughout the rest of the season. Juulsen solidified his place in the lineup and earned a roster spot at training camp this season, but after being struck by not one, but two pucks to the face in the same game on Nov. 19 against the Washington Capitals, Juulsen was once again sidelined with a serious injury.

And while his recovery seemed to be going smoothly – he even returned to play for a four-game stretch for the Canadiens in December – there was clearly something wrong with the young defender.

Juulsen had a well-earned reputation of being a two-way defender with the ability to join the rush or carry the puck from one end of the ice to the other. But his eye injury was preventing him from playing at the level he had established through his first 40 games in the NHL.

Once he was reassigned to the Rocket in late December, things only got worse. His play deteriorated to the point that, at times, he was struggling to track pucks that were less than a foot away.

He did not finish the game on Dec. 27 against Belleville, just his third with the Rocket this season.

Three months after being shut down for the third time since making his pro hockey debut, Rocket coach Joël Bouchard received word last week that Juulsen was finally eligible to return to practice, albeit with a non-contact jersey.

“He looked good out there,” Bouchard said following practice Tuesday, one where Juulsen spent most of his time separated from the main group, practicing his timing with goaltending coach Marco Marciano with defence coach Daniel Jacob out sick.

For the most part, his vision seemed fine, though he did lose control of a few pucks during passing drills and wasn’t anticipating the play as well as he usually does, which is par for the course given his recent injury.

Throughout practice, Juulsen kept peering back at his team. His anxiety and anticipation to rejoin them in a full-contact practice was palpable.

There are few things more frustrating for a professional athlete than not being able to suit up for their team. It immediately removes their most important validation tool, one they’ve relied upon throughout their hockey life. And it’s something Juulsen has had to deal with often during his young career.

But all signs point to Juulsen, who wasn’t made available to the media Tuesday, finally being back on track.

“If he’s on the ice it’s because we’re not taking any chances, he’s ready to take the next step. He’s feeling good and he passed all the tests he needed to pass. It’s really a day-to-day situation now, but things are progressing,” Bouchard said.

After receiving a puck to the eye in his first season in the NHL, Bouchard knows all too well about dealing with that type of injury. A broken orbital bone led to him losing his eyesight in one eye for a couple of days.

“It’s different for everyone, but it’s definitely scary,” he said, pausing to shake his head as he recalled the incident.

Stepping on the ice with his teammates is not only encouraging from a recovery point of view, but it should also have a positive effect on Juulsen’s mental health.

“Often times injuries can lead to isolation,” explained Bouchard, noting that Juulsen was set to resume traveling with the team. “Injured players can get lost in the shuffle, and even though we maintained a strong level of communication with him, everyone reacts differently. So it’ll be good for him to get back to the daily grind.

“I told him exactly what I would have wanted to hear as a rookie in the NHL. ‘Don’t think you’re alone in this. We’re with you. Take your time, stay positive and don’t put any extra pressure on yourself, that’s useless.’ And when it comes to Noah, I’m not worried. He’s quite passionate and he clearly wants to get back into the rhythm of things.”

Bouchard refused to even entertain the idea of projecting a return date for Juulsen; he doesn’t want to heighten any expectations. But at the current rate he’s recovering, it wouldn’t be shocking if Juulsen is ready to play in the last few games of the season, which take place in Bridgeport, Syracuse and Binghamton on April 10, 12 and 13, far away from the potential scrutiny of playing so close to Montreal.

Because at this point, it’s a matter of Juulsen getting his feet wet rather than returning to the spotlight.

This matches with what I've said in past, Juulsen has the core talent, was considered a blue chip prospect coming out of the draft and projected in top 4. If he can get back to being a steady middle pairing guy with the assistance and guidance of Foote and Gonchar, he may be our replacement for Myers next season. He skates well, hits well, shoots the puck well, but I think sometimes prioritizes getting the hit over maintaining position on the ice, but that can be smoothed out with coaching.

Personally, I think he's getting a little better each game, reading the play a little better and not hunting for an opportunity to hit, just taking it when there's an opportunity.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd wait and get Soucy back first before trying to add a tweener. If we do add a defenseman it has to be a name player. A viable top 4 guy. Probably by trade. Probably someone with cap room for Myer's. (Maybe pending rfa?)

We have a lot of 5-6-7-8 types

I couldn't agree more. 

Looking at this roster and comparing to previous cup championship teams, it's glaring that we need a 2-3D.

Zadorov and Soucy are more of a 4D at best (should probably be 5D on a cup team. Myers is a 5D at best. Cole should be a 5D as well. 

So yeah basically a bunch of 5Ds with a couple of them that could slide up to 4D. 

We need a bonafide 2-3D that can take our 5D guy like Zadorov and turn him into a solid 4D. Only way I see this happening is trading Myers and creating cap space to then make a trade using picks and prospects to land a Petriangelo type player. 

I do believe we would be in contention for the cup if we can trade / upgrade on Myers for a premier D man. The entire team would get a huge boost with another big time D guy.

I don't think another team would trade an RFA with that type of pedigree. Hronek was a really good below the radar find that I think would be hard to replicate. If we can, great. If not though, We need to find a early 30s guy with a few years left on a big contract while the team is in need of a rebuild and more apt to move salary for prospects and picks

Im not sure I understand the interest in Bear.  26 yrs old, played around 250 games (approx 3 seasons) , peak season was like 21 points.  Is he that much better than the bottom pair guys we already have?  Wasnt he the odd man out in Carolina's roster the year Canucks got him.    I'd probably stay away from getting into any 'bidding' war for him.

• Upvote 1