[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

39 minutes ago, Darius said:

Im not sure I understand the interest in Bear.  26 yrs old, played around 250 games (approx 3 seasons) , peak season was like 21 points.  Is he that much better than the bottom pair guys we already have?  Wasnt he the odd man out in Carolina's roster the year Canucks got him.    I'd probably stay away from getting into any 'bidding' war for him.

A player like Bear having a bidding war for their services makes little to no sense. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A player like Bear having a bidding war for their services makes little to no sense. 

Sure it does. Good player. 
People on this board don’t like him because he isn’t 6’5” and isn’t a major offensive threat.

He is quality puck mover and in this NHL that is more important. 
Plus he is a free player at a premium position. 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

People on this board don’t like him because he isn’t 6’5” and isn’t a major offensive threat.

Making an assumption without any basis in fact is a poor choice. People on these boards like Bear a lot. Don't see much to the contrary. 

Then being a major offensive threat? Somehow I don't think that's true based on the salaries of defensemen and what they bring to the table. 

He's doing the season pro bono? What a guy!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Problem is a bidding war usually means you end up paying more than he's worth.  He's worth a 3rd pairing RHD.  He's likely gonna get paid borderline 2nd pair RHD, which makes his contract poor value.  If there's truly a bidding war going on, it's likely either a higher AAV than he's worth, or a longer term deal where his track record shows he can't seem to play out a full season.

At $2M to $2.5M AAV, I think he'd be a fine addition.  Since his last deal was $2.2M, I bet he's looking to get over $3M AAV.  Too much money IMO.

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Making an assumption without any basis in fact is a poor choice. People on these boards like Bear a lot. Don't see much to the contrary. 

Then being a major offensive threat? Somehow I don't think that's true based on the salaries of defensemen and what they bring to the table. 

He's doing the season pro bono? What a guy!

Making an assumption based on the number of people here that state they don’t want him. 
Quality puck mover does not equal offensive threat. Chris Tanev is a great picture of the modern puck moving defender.  Not sure what the second sentence there even means. 
He is free asset. He costs nothing to acquire other than cap. That isn’t a hard concept or sentence to grasp. 

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Problem is a bidding war usually means you end up paying more than he's worth.  He's worth a 3rd pairing RHD.  He's likely gonna get paid borderline 2nd pair RHD, which makes his contract poor value.  If there's truly a bidding war going on, it's likely either a higher AAV than he's worth, or a longer term deal where his track record shows he can't seem to play out a full season.

At $2M to $2.5M AAV, I think he'd be a fine addition.  Since his last deal was $2.2M, I bet he's looking to get over $3M AAV.  Too much money IMO.

He was out first pairing right D last year and by far the best RD we had. 
I didn’t say we should get into a bidding war just that it makes sense that a few teams are interested in filling the hardest position to fill without giving up assets in a trade. 
We don’t have that much cap to bid so it is pretty much here is the cap we have, take it or leave it. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

That's too bad.

He would have fit in well here.. 

Could be more opportunity elsewhere though, he's unlikely to get a crack at top four minutes again here now that we've improved our defense 

Washington is a team in transition and they've been turning their D over, as demonstrated by their acquiring Sandin last season 

They also haven't gotten a whole lot of offense from their back end this season, he'd likely get a shot at playing an offensive role 

https://www.capfriendly.com/depth-charts/capitals

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Making an assumption based on the number of people here that state they don’t want him. 
Quality puck mover does not equal offensive threat. Chris Tanev is a great picture of the modern puck moving defender.  Not sure what the second sentence there even means. 
He is free asset. He costs nothing to acquire other than cap. That isn’t a hard concept or sentence to grasp. 

He was out first pairing right D last year and by far the best RD we had. 
I didn’t say we should get into a bidding war just that it makes sense that a few teams are interested in filling the hardest position to fill without giving up assets in a trade. 
We don’t have that much cap to bid so it is pretty much here is the cap we have, take it or leave it. 

Being our 1st pair RHD last year is nothing to write home about lol...

We don't have that much cap, therefore it makes sense we bowed out of the bidding war.  Filling a spot for the sake of filling it by paying more than a player is worth is a very poor way to build a successful roster.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Could be more opportunity elsewhere though, he's unlikely to get a crack at top four minutes again here now that we've improved our defense 

Washington is a team in transition and they've been turning their D over, as demonstrated by their acquiring Sandin last season 

They also haven't gotten a whole lot of offense from their back end this season, he'd likely get a shot at playing an offensive role 

Yup, makes a lot more sense than coming here.  He'd be in and out of the lineup here.  Says a lot about how far we've come from last year!

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yup, makes a lot more sense than coming here.  He'd be in and out of the lineup here.  Says a lot about how far we've come from last year!

That's just it, Bear was in our top 4 last season and that spoke to the quality of our defense, no offense to Bear. 

If he doesn't want to come here because he'd be stuck in a 5-6 role that means we've improved our defense, that's not a bad thing. 

If he can land on a team where he can get a larger opportunity and some term I wish him all the best. 

2 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I don’t mind this news 

a no. 4/5 guy who hasn’t played in 8 months is not what we need 

we already have 4 bottom 3 d men 

He was a likeable enough guy and maybe he'd be an improvement on some of our 5-8D but I'm indifferent as to him going elsewhere

Can't blame a guy for looking for a better opportunity, NHL careers can be short for bottom pairing D, gotta grab on to the best opportunities you can 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

PA should have signed him in the summer

I think Bear was always a plan B here, which I can get behind. Juulsen's improved play offers an element that Bear doesn't without dropping off too much with performance. I like that management didn't jump to quickly on this, leave some bullets in the chamber and then aim higher. JB would of inked Bear to a 4 x 4 already. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He was a likeable enough guy and maybe he'd be an improvement on some of our 5-8D but I'm indifferent as to him going elsewhere

Can't blame a guy for looking for a better opportunity, NHL careers can be short for bottom pairing D, gotta grab on to the best opportunities you can 

We will see. Playing for a team that is leading the league in scoring can be very beneficial to your stats, even as a lower pairing Dman. I think signing here may have been a better option for his future/career given he could be a utility player amongst the entire D corps and would likely get some PP2 time. It would have boosted value. Now he will have to perform at an increased level in WSH or risk being viewed as having regressed from injury or lack of playing time. He may not even be a good fit there chemistry wise like he was here. 

oh well, bit of a risk on his part imho. 
At least here he may have been insulated as he returns to form. Good thing for us though is at this time we are in no place to be sheltering a UFA Dman as he comes back from a significant injury. 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

We will see. Playing for a team that is leading the league in scoring can be very beneficial to your stats, even as a lower pairing Dman. I think signing here may have been a better option for his future/career given he could be a utility player amongst the entire D corps and would likely get some PP2 time. It would have boosted value. Now he will have to perform at an increased level in WSH or risk being viewed as having regressed from injury or lack of playing time. He may not even be a good fit there chemistry wise like he was here. 

oh well, bit of a risk on his part imho. 
At least here he may have been insulated as he returns to form. Good thing for us though is at this time we are in no place to be sheltering a UFA Dman as he comes back from a significant injury. 

Maybe, but it also depends on who is offering what dollars and term

Term probably being the biggest thing Bear wants 

17 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I hope

Allvin to Bear:  "If you don't want to accept a million dollars to play on a playoff contending team in beautiful BC Canada, then you can go and suck in Washington, eventually disappearing into obscurity."

ok a little harsh, Bear is a quality NHL player and would be of use to us but not at a million dollars, I would offer him a multi year deal at closer to league minimum but if he wanted 1 million or more than for VAN is does not work. Wishing him all the best.

36 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's probably it, right there. He'd be in hard to get top four minutes here. Getting a chance to play with Carlson is maybe a possibility too. 

28 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I hope

Allvin to Bear:  "If you don't want to accept a million dollars to play on a playoff contending team in beautiful BC Canada, then you can go and suck in Washington, eventually disappearing into obscurity."

I don't take Alvin for the angry, bitter type.