[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He was a likeable enough guy and maybe he'd be an improvement on some of our 5-8D but I'm indifferent as to him going elsewhere

Can't blame a guy for looking for a better opportunity, NHL careers can be short for bottom pairing D, gotta grab on to the best opportunities you can 

For sure. Strike while the iron is hot. Get the best deal you can for yourself. Seeing how much earlier some players are retiring, it's a wise choice to set yourself up well. 

Must be nice for Ethan to be coming off of injury and seeing suitors line up for him. 

I'm fine with Bear signing elsewhere...

I wasn't a huge fan to begin with. He was fine as a player and plays a desriable position (RD) but his game didn't move the needle much, for me. 

He was probably a little over rated playing on a piss poor defensive team last year but our improved D probably make him a 5th or 7th dman when we're healty.

I'd be OK with it if we were able to get something done in the $1-$1.5 million range for the remainder of the year but didn't want to sign him to a multi year contract and block out some of our developing players on cheaper contracts. I'm hopeful one of Willander, Hunter, D-Petey or someone from Abby will make the jump for next season.

I think we just need a stop gap this year not a player with term...unless it's 1 year and the player has no trade protection, that we're able to move next year...if needed,        

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Making an assumption based on the number of people here that state they don’t want him. 

Because of the state of the defense. It's vastly improved, and requires a player above Bear's paygrade to complete it. 

Quality puck mover does not equal offensive threat. Chris Tanev is a great picture of the modern puck moving defender.  Not sure what the second sentence there even means. 

Never said it did. 

He is free asset. He costs nothing to acquire other than cap. That isn’t a hard concept or sentence to grasp. 

Free - without cost or payment.

He was out first pairing right D last year and by far the best RD we had. 
I didn’t say we should get into a bidding war just that it makes sense that a few teams are interested in filling the hardest position to fill without giving up assets in a trade. 
We don’t have that much cap to bid so it is pretty much here is the cap we have, take it or leave it. 

Bear has talent and will most likely sign with the Caps. He just doesn't factor as heavily into plans here as Alvin has different needs for his d-corps than Washington does. The spot that Bear would most likely fill, is not vacant here.

9 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Can't blame Bear for going with more money/term.  Family security is more important than winning games.  

That being said, come on down, Adam Larsson!

I'm happy for him, seems like a good guy.

He took himself out of a deal here with that injury and it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Because of the state of the defense. It's vastly improved, and requires a player above Bear's paygrade to complete it. 

Never said it did. 

Free - without cost or payment.

Bear has talent and will most likely sign with the Caps. He just doesn't factor as heavily into plans here as Alvin has different needs for his d-corps than Washington does. The spot that Bear would most likely fill, is not vacant here.

Disagree on last sentence.  Bear would be a significant improvement on the right side of either the second or third pair.  Especially since we have some left handers that he would fit with well. 
We have some size but not great PMDs after the first pairing. 
We have spent a lot of time hemmed on our ends for long periods because of an inability to move the puck well from the blue line. 
Don’t think we are going to get him and wouldn’t offer him a lot of money or term but he is a quality player that is available to a club at the cost of no assets other than cap space. Shouldn’t be hard to see why there is interest. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Disagree on last sentence.  Bear would be a significant improvement on the right side of either the second or third pair.  Especially since we have some left handers that he would fit with well. 

Based on what Alvin has already done, I think he'd be aiming to trade for (or sign at FA time) a legitimate second pairing RHD rather than looking to put a #5-6 RHD in the spot. 

We have some size but not great PMDs after the first pairing. 

Tocchet doesn't seem averse to splitting up Hughes and Hronek to spread out the offense. 

We have spent a lot of time hemmed on our ends for long periods because of an inability to move the puck well from the blue line. 

The d-men have admitted to straying from the structure they were excelling with earlier in the season. Losing Soucy, had an effect. 

Don’t think we are going to get him and wouldn’t offer him a lot of money or term but he is a quality player that is available to a club at the cost of no assets other than cap space. Shouldn’t be hard to see why there is interest. 

And I'm glad for Bear. Must be great coming to the end of your rehabilitation and seeing teams line up with offers. I do think Alvin had a specific amount in mind that he wasn't willing to waver from, as he's got his sights set on possibly making another trade for a Larsson or similar type player. 

Sounds like we were aiming for a 1x1 and the Capitals are willing to give term, and likely a little more cash to land him. 

The 1x1 was exactly why I was hoping we’d land him, and he’d be a nice upgrade on our 6RD situation for the season.

Ah well.  Juulen playing better lately takes the sting off, although the extra 3-4 minutes a night Bear can handle will be missed.  Hopefully when Soucy comes back we stay healthy and it’ll all be moot anyways. 

4 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Bear might be signing on in a place that loses its appetite to support the team.

https://www.reddit.com/r/caps/s/Z2AWdvFclz

IMG_0474.jpeg

Moving across the river to Northern Virginia really isn't much of a change. Fairfax County plus Arlington and Alexandria is still around 1.5 million people. Also I believe the proposed site already has a metro stop connecting it to DC proper.

• Thanks 1