[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

9 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I agree with most saying we shouldn't be entering a bidding war for Bear. I liked him last season, and would have liked him back for cheap, but he doesn't majorly move the needle and is certainly not worth overpaying for.

According to Don Taylor and the other guy, We Are Out On Bear!

Yay. /thread

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Would have given him 1 year at what is left in our cap space and think we would have been better team than are now. 
I think he is worth more than that but that is all we are in position to offer. 
Next off-season could be very interesting. PA is a bit of a wild man and half our current D are UFAs. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Very sad that Bear is getting bounced around for a measly million plus or minus and Bear has to take a short term to prove he is healthy and that the shoulder will stand up but it is what it is, hope the shoulder is strong and he can generate lots of points and get much more $$$ in future, wish him well

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If being bounced around gets Bear the most money he can get, I don’t think Ethan will be sad about it at all. 

yeah, my guess is the canucks were wanting Ethan to bet on himself for the year, take less on a prorated one year and then revisit things in the offseason when the cap picture is more clear. 

but, Ethan has to look out for Ethan. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Very sad that Bear is getting bounced around for a measly million plus or minus and Bear has to take a short term to prove he is healthy and that the shoulder will stand up but it is what it is, hope the shoulder is strong and he can generate lots of points and get much more $$$ in future, wish him well

It’s his own fault for playing at the worlds without a contract. Guy should have signed a new contract before the worlds or not gone. Not a smart move on his part. Now any team signing him is going to be on the cheap. He’s not signing with us because we don’t want (or need) him. He’s way too small to play on our bottom pairing. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

35 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, my guess is the canucks were wanting Ethan to bet on himself for the year, take less on a prorated one year and then revisit things in the offseason when the cap picture is more clear. 

but, Ethan has to look out for Ethan. 

That’s pretty much it. Sure Vancouver is a better team than Washington these days, but Ethan’s priority should be him and his family’s security. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s his own fault for playing at the worlds without a contract. Guy should have signed a new contract before the worlds or not gone. Not a smart move on his part. Now any team signing him is going to be on the cheap. He’s not signing with us because we don’t want (or need) him. He’s way too small to play on our bottom pairing. 

the Ethan Bear injury was sustained 4 years before the world championships, he was very open about that when he tweaked it last spring and I thought the management knew it, The Canucks declined to re-sign him 5 months ago, He didn't decline to sign an extension, no extension was offered. I know there are a lot of them you out there but anybody who thought they could get this guy for 1 year or for $2.m or less a season on a 2-3 year is wrong. Ethan Bear will go for 3 or 4 years at $3m a season and maybe a little more, I know people were hoping to exploit him but too bad so sad it's not happening.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Would have given him 1 year at what is left in our cap space and think we would have been better team than are now. 
I think he is worth more than that but that is all we are in position to offer. 
Next off-season could be very interesting. PA is a bit of a wild man and half our current D are UFAs. 

Soucy has this + 2 years. Hronek is a RFA & we'll sign him.  

Meyers is gone I would guess... Him leaving will pay for Petey.  Cap going up Hronek.

I bet we'll keep one of Cole or Zadorov. Possibly both if one of Garland or Kuzmenko is traded & I personally want to keep Kuzmenko!

We could sign Willander? He would make our team! I'd like to see him play an extra year in Boston? He's playing great. But Lane Hutson will be gone and he can get a ton of minutes on the PP, key offensive 5 on 5 assignments that simply go to Hutson.

Developing his offensive game before he arrives would be such a huge win for us as Canucks!  

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What is our highest priority?

We have 5 guys, plus Myers, capable of being good top 4 D. Mark Friedman is a good to great 7th D? I prefer Bear as a 6th D!

higher priorities would be a 2nd pair rhd, a top 6 winger or two, etc. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We have 5 guys, plus Myers, capable of being good top 4 D. Mark Friedman is a good to great 7th D? I prefer Bear as a 6th D!

We have 5 guys capable of being good bottom pairing D plus Myers. 
We have 2 proven top 4 D and a couple of guys that have stepped up onto second pairings for periods in their careers when needed. 
We need an anchor for the second pairing or at least someone who will compliment one of Soucy, Zad or Cole. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We need to move Myers (retention) and replace him with a legit 2nd pair guy to anchor the 2nd pair and play opposite Cole/Zadorov, or that can play next to Hughes and push Hronek to 2nd pair to anchor. If not this season, it will need to be done in the summer regardless. In season is obviously better for this year's roster/playoffs.

We could also stand to move Garland + for a 2nd "Mikheyev" type. Bigger, faster, grittier, 2 way puck hound.

A lot of people are also suggesting moving Kuzmenko... I'm not opposed (especially if it gets us a needed piece), but I'd prefer to move him closer to expiry, hopefully when Lekkerimaki looks closer to ready.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

hopefully when Lekkerimaki looks closer to ready.

We are in a our first year of looking dangerous?  I am not all in.

If our biggest need is D?  Wait for Willander and D Petey. With Cole, Sousy & Zadorov, the trade for Hronek we are already in our best D position in ten years.Juulsen is found money, like Chatfield should have been. If played correctly our assets have the potential to be massaged in to our best ever D core. Most don't win in any 1st year in contention, so we should keep our assets.

I like the LA model in 2012; make moves only when they had more high end prospects ready to fire than fit on the team. Still had more rookies on ELC's, notably on D, who impacted in consecutive years.  

Separate comment; Kuzmenko has the speed and talent very few prospects ever possess. My observation is he hangs on to the puck too much. Erratically, moving to avoid pressure.  Back and forth, which makes it hard for others to read & react. Tochet seems to want him to move the puck if that's the case? If not to a Canuck, deep, then go get it. That's also what they wanted of Hoglander when they sent him down. Pettersson only moves when it creates opportunity? Routinely rotating the puck if nothing is there? I think also he likes checking, is stronger than people credit.   

39 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We are in a our first year of looking dangerous?  I am not all in.

If our biggest need is D?  Wait for Willander and D Petey. With Cole, Sousy & Zadorov, the trade for Hronek we are already in our best D position in ten years.Juulsen is found money, like Chatfield should have been. If played correctly our assets have the potential to be massaged in to our best ever D core. Most don't win in any 1st year in contention, so we should keep our assets.

I like the LA model in 2012; make moves only when they had more high end prospects ready to fire than fit on the team. Still had more rookies on ELC's, notably on D, who impacted in consecutive years.  

Separate comment; Kuzmenko has the speed and talent very few prospects ever possess. My observation is he hangs on to the puck too much. Erratically, moving to avoid pressure.  Back and forth, which makes it hard for others to read & react. Tochet seems to want him to move the puck if that's the case? If not to a Canuck, deep, then go get it. That's also what they wanted of Hoglander when they sent him down. Pettersson only moves when it creates opportunity? Routinely rotating the puck if nothing is there? I think also he likes checking, is stronger than people credit.   

Who said anything about "all in"?

A top 4 RHD and a grittier/faster/bigger top 6 F are our major roster needs (along with expiring/moving inefficient cap/ill fitting players...Myers, Garland, Poolman). Willander should not be penciled in as a top 4 D next year, on a team working towards becoming a contender, as good as he looks. That's not prudent management. Most of those guys you listed are another year + from even getting a sniff at NHL level roster spots, let alone actually displacing guys out of the top 4, on a team working towards contention status. We need interim bodies there while they develop, or we're wasting prime Hughes/Petey/Demko years and that scant few years Miller has left before age related decline. By the time those guys are ready, Soucy will also be expiring.

With Bear rumoured to be headed to WAS, I wonder if that could potentially free up Jensen as that interim RHD....?

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

With Bear rumoured to be headed to WAS, I wonder if that could potentially free up Jensen as that interim RHD....?

I have not looked in a week or so.  My recollection is Wash was surprisingly close to a play off position?

Just looking for a strategic add in Wash.

As for all in?  Soft in?  I don't want attrition of assets that have just started to build up again.  I would not, say, trade a 1st for Tanev.  That was designed to be my feedback. I dont see a 2knd RHD as that critical. Soucy and Cole are serviceable enough Myers has not had to, or maybe Tochet has reigned him in, run around so much.  Less turnovers and bad penalties. I see the most likely landing spot, and it could change, Edmonton won 7 straight, as being 3rd place in our division.  LA and Vegas remain the best looking teams even with our rejuvenation. So why trade youth at all while we are wandering about enthusiastically without getting our diapers dirty for once.

I am happy to wait till 2025 for Willander and D Pettersson, Lakerimakki. Let Podz develop as that power forward you seek. He should be here by next year for sure! Perhaps, likely, by this post season?

52 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I have not looked in a week or so.  My recollection is Wash was surprisingly close to a play off position?

Just looking for a strategic add in Wash.

As for all in?  Soft in?  I don't want attrition of assets that have just started to build up again.  I would not, say, trade a 1st for Tanev.  That was designed to be my feedback. I dont see a 2knd RHD as that critical. Soucy and Cole are serviceable enough Myers has not had to, or maybe Tochet has reigned him in, run around so much.  Less turnovers and bad penalties. I see the most likely landing spot, and it could change, Edmonton won 7 straight, as being 3rd place in our division.  LA and Vegas remain the best looking teams even with our rejuvenation. So why trade youth at all while we are wandering about enthusiastically without getting our diapers dirty for once.

I am happy to wait till 2025 for Willander and D Pettersson, Lakerimakki. Let Podz develop as that power forward you seek. He should be here by next year for sure! Perhaps, likely, by this post season?

I wouldn't trade our 1st for Tanev either 😉 Something "reasonable"? Sure. Otherwise I think we can add him this summer (UFA) anyway. Same goes for my Jensen suggestion FWIW. 

I'm looking forward to a 3rd line later this year/next year of Podz, Suter, Hoglander myself 😊 Still think that "ideally" we add another guy in the top 6 though.

14 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

As per Dhaliwal, apparently Bear was looking for "2 to 3 million" per season, I'm glad PA didn't bite, especially since it appears we are still in on Tanev.

The Canucks can still afford Chris Tanev, but not without ditching another defender first 

I like my idea of involving a 3rd team. We retain $2m and clear $4m, 3rd team also retains $2m (minimal ~150K-$200K of actual cash depending when the trade happens, closer to TDL) for a mid pick (4th?), team he's going to get him for $2m (prorated).

That, plus the ~$500K space we have basically covers Tanev.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I like my idea of involving a 3rd team. We retain $2m and clear $4m, 3rd team also retains $2m (minimal ~150K-$200K of actual cash depending when the trade happens, closer to TDL) for a mid pick (4th?), team he's going to get him for $2m (prorated).

That, plus the ~$500K space we have basically covers Tanev.

Excellent idea, we're in the modern age of "buying" picks, and I'd be all over that. 

I'm sure our competent FO is conjuring up scenarios like that, and any other ways to make this team better.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

As per Dhaliwal, apparently Bear was looking for "2 to 3 million" per season, I'm glad PA didn't bite, especially since it appears we are still in on Tanev.

The Canucks can still afford Chris Tanev, but not without ditching another defender first 

Much rather use assets to get Tanev than to waste a contract (for that rumoured amount) on Bear. 

• ThereItIs 1