[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

On 12/11/2023 at 11:59 AM, Jaimito said:

I love listening to Donny and Dhaliwal

I've watched Donny since he was on sports page around 3 or decades ago. 

Dhaliwal same thing he's been around a long time. I think they work really well together. 

Good show. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I wouldn't trade our 1st for Tanev either 😉 Something "reasonable"? Sure. Otherwise I think we can add him this summer (UFA) anyway. Same goes for my Jensen suggestion FWIW. 

I'm looking forward to a 3rd line later this year/next year of Podz, Suter, Hoglander myself 😊 Still think that "ideally" we add another guy in the top 6 though.

In no scenario should we give up a 1st for a player like tanev( injured again?).

He is a good player and would fit the space nicely, but we should give up long term assets for a short term player.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I like my idea of involving a 3rd team. We retain $2m and clear $4m, 3rd team also retains $2m (minimal ~150K-$200K of actual cash depending when the trade happens, closer to TDL) for a mid pick (4th?), team he's going to get him for $2m (prorated).

That, plus the ~$500K space we have basically covers Tanev.

Why not just send Myers to Cowtown 2 mil retained with a 4th?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Maybe not. Lives in the Okanagan in the offseason. If not here, the next closest teams are Calgary, Edmonton and Seattle.

Possible. But one of the dirty secrets in the league is apparently many players with no trades have Canadian cities on them. Is Myers one of them? An outlier to the norm? Who knows.   Wouldn't surprise me though.

28 minutes ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

Possible. But one of the dirty secrets in the league is apparently many players with no trades have Canadian cities on them. Is Myers one of them? An outlier to the norm? Who knows.   Wouldn't surprise me though.

He signed as a UFA in Canada and lives here...

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, aGENT said:

He signed as a UFA in Canada and lives here...

And may or may not have Calgary on his list. Just because a player lives in X town in the off-season doesn't neccessarily mean anything. Lots of guys live in Kelowna in the offseason. Including Ethan Bear and Luke Schenn. Let's not assume anything is all I'm saying.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Jensen would be 'ok' I guess but I don't think he'd really move the needle much.  Would be a nice depth piece in case of injuries but with Juulsen playing much better lately, it seems like we already have that.  

Jensen is a fair bit better than Juulsen.

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Jensen is a fair bit better than Juulsen.

True but he's also a fair bit more expensive than Juulsen as well ($4.05 million dollar cap hit).

So essentially, you'd have

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Zadorov

Soucy-[Jensen/Myers]

As your defense with one of Jensen or Myers being the 7th man under a fully healthy roster.  

I get that depth is important, and that having all of your defenseman healthy is a rarity, but that seems like too much of an over-allocation of resources to me (i.e. paying $4.05M for a 7th defenseman.......or 6 million if Myers would be your #7).   Once Soucy comes back from injury, the Canucks will be up against the cap anyways so would they even be able to afford Jensen?   

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

True but he's also a fair bit more expensive than Juulsen as well ($4.05 million dollar cap hit).

So essentially, you'd have

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Zadorov

Soucy-[Jensen/Myers]

As your defense with one of Jensen or Myers being the 7th man under a fully healthy roster.  

I get that depth is important, and that having all of your defenseman healthy is a rarity, but that seems like too much of an over-allocation of resources to me (i.e. paying $4.05M for a 7th defenseman.......or 6 million if Myers would be your #7).   Once Soucy comes back from injury, the Canucks will be up against the cap anyways so would they even be able to afford Jensen?   

No, I'm assuming we retain $2m and move Myers.

Hughes, Hronek/Jensen

Zadorov, Hronek/Jensen

Soucy, Cole

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Bear got himself a good contract with Washington. 

Canucks just couldn't afford him. 

But the team still needs 1 more top 4 RHD, and 1 top six forward. Which needs comes first this season

Bear is a small player who is easy to play against. Look at the size of the guys on our second and third pairings. IMHAO we were not interested in Bear because he can’t fill the role we expect in those spots. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Bear is a small player who is easy to play against. Look at the size of the guys on our second and third pairings. IMHAO we were not interested in Bear because he can’t fill the role we expect in those spots. 

Imo the plan for Bear was always as a filler role to be able to dump 🦒. Now that the coaches have got the best out of him and Juulson the urgency isn't there.

He's also coming off a long-term injury/recovery, too risky. I'd prefer to have Juulsen and his crushing hits

Quinn is a small player that is easy to play against of a;; we are thinking about is physicality. 
But, when you move the puck BEFORE contact is initiated size doesn’t really matter so much. 

That is where Quinn is amazing, Stetcher was quietly efficient, Tanev is an ace and Bear is solid. 
A pairing of whatever works between Cole/Zad/Soucy and Bear would have been more balanced than any second pair we can put out now. Bear as an established puck mover who can get the puck and move it before they get pinned down while one of the big lugs is there as backup for the time he can’t.

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Imo the plan for Bear was always as a filler role to be able to dump 🦒. Now that the coaches have got the best out of him and Juulson the urgency isn't there.

It also would mean we'd need to clear cap/move 🦒 SOON. Now we can take our time up to the TDL when more teams would be interested in him anyway.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1