[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

I wonder what trade they'll make next, if they make one. Any chance they keep this group together and go for it? Maybe re-sign Myers in the offseason?

Or will Myers be traded at the TDL, once Soucy returns? 

There was mention that they might trade for another Top 6, but I don't know about that.

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Assuming Kuzmenko works his way back into the Top 6. I'm not sure Lafferty is a Top 6 guy.

• ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I wonder what trade they'll make next, if they make one. Any chance they keep this group together and go for it? Maybe re-sign Myers in the offseason?

There was mention that they might trade for another Top 6, but I don't know about that.

Assuming Kuzmenko works his way back into the Top 6. I'm not sure Lafferty is a Top 6 guy.

A big, bruising type board battle puck retrieving top 6 guy for Peteys line would be nice.  Moving Mikheyev onto the 3rd line with Suter and Garland to be a checking/support scoring 3rd line. Then Joshua can play an all out shit disturber on the 4th line with Blueger and Aman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

It could work in that case.  

And then he's under contract for 2 more years, which is a more ideal time to ensure Willander is ready. Then you're not forced in to a bigger or longer extension for Larsson or Tanev (though I still like Tanev in a 2-3 year extension as an option as well).

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

not sure if this has been posted already but judging by rutherford's comments it sure sounds like bear has burned a bridge here. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/we-really-thought-he-was-coming-back-jim-rutherford-talks-losing-out-on-ethan-bear

I'm curious if the shift occurred before or after the Zadorov trade? It wasn't clearly how the Canucks would have afforded Bear with Soucy coming back in a few weeks unless they had another trade lined up?

18 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm curious if the shift occurred before or after the Zadorov trade? It wasn't clearly how the Canucks would have afforded Bear with Soucy coming back in a few weeks unless they had another trade lined up?

I'm guessing the canucks earmarked league minimum or close to it for bear to ride out the year, assuming his desire to be in vancouver and his loyalty to management for bringing him in and working with him when nobody wanted him (according to rutherford) would outweigh his desire for more cash. 

it's a shame. I guess the canucks have no real choice now but to go out and getEe6WuWUU8AAOAd6.thumb.jpg.82132a20e9f8d93be1c727655c20cbd7.jpg

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, tas said:

not sure if this has been posted already but judging by rutherford's comments it sure sounds like bear has burned a bridge here. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/we-really-thought-he-was-coming-back-jim-rutherford-talks-losing-out-on-ethan-bear

A bridge burning bear? No need for that.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm guessing the canucks earmarked league minimum or close to it for bear to ride out the year, assuming his desire to be in vancouver and his loyalty to management for bringing him in and working with him when nobody wanted him (according to rutherford) would outweigh his desire for more cash. 

it's a shame. I guess the canucks have no real choice now but to go out and getEe6WuWUU8AAOAd6.thumb.jpg.82132a20e9f8d93be1c727655c20cbd7.jpg

You still think that's possible, do ya?

29 minutes ago, tas said:

Big Z was the guy they got and as far as I’m concerned, he is the better option.

If we are gonna chase after another defender, it needs to be someone better than Bear. Someone that will bring us to becoming a Stanley Cup favourite. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, tas said:

Get him quick while he's injured, Garland and a 4th (2025). 

27 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Big Z was the guy they got and as far as I’m concerned, he is the better option.

If we are gonna chase after another defender, it needs to be someone better than Bear. Someone that will bring us to becoming a Stanley Cup favourite. 

Zadorov is a far more valuable defenseman than Bear could ever hope to be. I'm glad that Alvin stuck to his guns regarding cost and term because that is truly all Bear is worth. As well, the team needs to focus on the strengthening the 3-4 spots on the defense, and not spend too much on a frankly middling 6-7 defenseman.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Bear got himself a good contract with Washington. 

Canucks just couldn't afford him. 

But the team still needs 1 more top 4 RHD, and 1 top six forward. Which needs comes first this season

Not according to capfriendly.com he didn't.

Nothing as of 2:26pm Dec 13/23 anyway.

1 hour ago, tas said:

Eh, maybe, maybe not 

Odds are he won't be back but Allvin and Rutherford have been in this business long enough that they probably wouldn't hold a grudge over a player taking a different opportunity 

Particularly if he's actually offered more money and term elsewhere, bottom pairing guys like Bear don't have the luxury legit top four guys have, every opportunity could potentially be their last NHL gig 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Eh, maybe, maybe not 

Odds are he won't be back but Allvin and Rutherford have been in this business long enough that they probably wouldn't hold a grudge over a player taking a different opportunity 

Particularly if he's actually offered more money and term elsewhere, bottom pairing guys like Bear don't have the luxury legit top four guys have, every opportunity could potentially be their last NHL gig 

there's no grudge, why would he have one? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

It just sounds like they wanted the player, but not at the price he was asking.  It was as much their decision as his.

They have been in the game long enough that they know it is a business and not personal.  Same as when they don’t extend a guy or demote him.  No grudges involved.

9 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I'm not sure they are happy with Mik being in the top 6. He is a reliable player but he is very 1 dimensional and doesn't bring any creativity. Also not seeing much of his speed.

I think they would way rather add a top 6 guy and move Mik to 3rd line. 

Garland, Suter, Mik would be a sweet 3rd line.

20 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I'm not sure they are happy with Mik being in the top 6. He is a reliable player but he is very 1 dimensional and doesn't bring any creativity. Also not seeing much of his speed.

I think they would way rather add a top 6 guy and move Mik to 3rd line. 

Garland, Suter, Mik would be a sweet 3rd line.

Be tuff to find a top six RW that fits in cap wise without moving Garland. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

A big, bruising type board battle puck retrieving top 6 guy for Peteys line would be nice.  Moving Mikheyev onto the 3rd line with Suter and Garland to be a checking/support scoring 3rd line. Then Joshua can play an all out shit disturber on the 4th line with Blueger and Aman.

Kuzmenko for Crouse? 

If we want a cup, I think we need to find a way to keep Kuzmenko and Garland. 

I was solidly on the bus to have Garland traded before because he wasn't noticeable enough for his salary.  Liked the guy but he wasn't living up to his salary.  I still don't like his PPG stat, but this team is built for winning with the PP.  Garland's not on the main PP unit, but he gets the PP unit out there in the first place.  Come playoff time, it's guys like Garland who do the spade work that leads to the win despite not being on the score sheet.  If you can replace him for a lower salary with the same result, that would be great.  But the bird in hand is better than two in the bush, no?  He cares and consistently shows that with every shift and I'm happy to see a guy get rewarded for that.

Kuzmenko - we're talking about a guy with a tremendous shot who got a lot of goals last year around the crease and PP.  Again, you need these guys in the playoffs and you need more than one or two scoring lines to win a cup.  You're not going to find a better guy out there in a trade.  He's got lots of games left in the season to add forechecking, support along the walls and defensive responsibility.  No panic needed at this point.  I just want to see him being the happy, excited guy we saw last year.  It's all a mental thing this year.

The real need is to add one more defensive player without going over the cap.  Do we need another $4M/yr player or can we find a lower cost guy who punches above his weight?  Think of an Aaron Rome type player of yesteryears.  JR and PA hit the jackpot with Lafferty and they've done well with 

I wouldn't panic.  The Canucks are safely in the top 7 of the league right now and have just pushed through a tough schedule.  With more rest and practice time, we should see a better team than what we've seen this past month.  There's no need for knee-jerk reactions.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Vintage 1