[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

10 hours ago, Dizzle said:

Be tuff to find a top six RW that fits in cap wise without moving Garland. 

Yup. Love the guy, but we need that cap in other areas. Hoglander is younger and can take over that role on the third line for less money (and actually produce).

38 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Between Juulsen and Zadorov, we are getting some really heavy hits in on the back end

Is that not damn gratifying to see? Man, I think back to the Drerek Pouliot and Philip Larsen days of JB and his AssMonkey pro scouting acquisitions and puke a little in my mouth. Win or lose, bang some bodies ffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

JRs interview sounded like he was upset about losing Bear to Washington. He talked about the investment they made in him, worked with him, gave him a chance etc. 

However, I'm glad he's not here. Unless I'm missing something, I see him as another 5D. We already have a lot of those. That means Bear or Juulsen would be 7D and 8D. Good for playoff depth but a bit rich to tie up caps pace at that depth level. 

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Is that not damn gratifying to see? Man, I think back to the Drerek Pouliot and Philip Larsen days of JB and his AssMonkey pro scouting acquisitions and puke a little in my mouth. Win or lose, bang some bodies ffs.

You can see the entire team is playing more physically. Every player is playing bigger now. RT hockey. Love it. 

I used to be so pissed watching little rats like Marchand acting tough because he knew his team had his back. 

We now see that with guys like Hogz coming in and laying solid hits. He looks over and sees guys like Z, Cole, Juulsen also laying guys out. 

This team is made for the Black skate jersey 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

You can see the entire team is playing more physically. Every player is playing bigger now. RT hockey. Love it. 

I used to be so pissed watching little rats like Marchand acting tough because he knew his team had his back. 

We now see that with guys like Hogz coming in and laying solid hits. He looks over and sees guys like Z, Cole, Juulsen also laying guys out. 

This team is made for the Black skate jersey 

Did you notice Tkachuk last night? Nope, either did I. How about Tanner Janoit (spelling) from Tampa the other night? Not really. Players like those two used to feast on us. Not so much anymore. In fact, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but those two looked somewhat confused and bewildered by the new Canucks. Like "this is different". Love it, win or lose, make it tough for the other team. Love it. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Did you notice Tkachuk last night? Nope, either did I. How about Tanner Janoit (spelling) from Tampa the other night? Not really. Players like those two used to feast on us. Not so much anymore. In fact, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but those two looked somewhat confused and bewildered by the new Canucks. Like "this is different". Love it, win or lose, make it tough for the other team. Love it. 

Amen brother

Or the reverse hit on Montour by JT. Nothing he can do. Just skate back to the bench without his helmet... Lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with Juulsen right now. He's skating well, he's not trying to do too much, keeping his game simple and as a result, his +/- is slowly climbing back to even.

I think this is mainly influence of Foote and Gonchar and if he can continue the way his has been, we might be starting to see him return to where he was when drafted. Projected to be a middle pairing D.

Love the physicality that he brings to the team. Between Juulsen and Zadorov, we are getting some really heavy hits in on the back end.

Juulson's improvement along with Meyers and Zad's trade makes the convo about trading for another d-man much more interesting. PA has some time to work whatever deals he has perking. I agree that 2RD is a question mark. Is Meyers capable of 2RD against playoff teams? I don't want Tanev because he takes injuries and cannot be depended on for a long CUP drive. His age and a retirement contract on term just doesn't work. Invest the TOI in a younger player with upside. Juulson might be that guy but it is too early to tell. When you consider how far he has come in 30 games you have to wonder where he sits at 60 games. IMHO he is still trending up. He has had a lot of reasons to pack in his NHL career and has not. That says something about his mental toughness IMO. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Yup, this is the building of a new identity for the Canucks.  A nasty team to play against due to our size and strength.  Particularly 2nd and 3rd pairs on defence.  Wanna battle in the corners in our zone?  Come on in.  We're waiting for ya.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, this is the building of a new identity for the Canucks.  A nasty team to play against due to our size and strength.  Particularly 2nd and 3rd pairs on defence.  Wanna battle in the corners in our zone?  Come on in.  We're waiting for ya.

Been waiting so long for this. JB just didn't get it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I wonder if Bear has looked at the new found depth on this blue line and didn't think he could slip into a role.

Yeah that could be a factor for sure. He isn't going to get top 4 minutes like he did last year. 

Then that leaves him battling it out for a spot on the bottom pair and coming off a big injury it'll likely take time to get up to speed. I think he saw other teams had bigger holes on the back end, so he'd get more playing time and they had more money and maybe even a little term to offer. 

I would have liked him at a million or so for sure (depth is great), but all good. I hope he succeeds and maybe the nucks will find another Dman to add to the group or they'll bring up an Abby guy for a shot. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:11 AM, aGENT said:

Yup. Love the guy, but we need that cap in other areas. Hoglander is younger and can take over that role on the third line for less money (and actually produce).

I am curious... Do we really need another top 6 player? 

I would say order of needs would be a top tier d man more than a forward at this point. 

We are leading the league in GF, goals differential, PP looks strong. 

If we had cap space, I'd rather we spend on D first than a forward and keep Garland as the offense is clearly clicking. 

Defense wins championships. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I am curious... Do we really need another top 6 player? 

I would say order of needs would be a top tier d man more than a forward at this point. 

We are leading the league in GF, goals differential, PP looks strong. 

If we had cap space, I'd rather we spend on D first than a forward and keep Garland as the offense is clearly clicking. 

Defense wins championships. 

D would be one of those "other areas", no? 😉

Speaking "ideally", we use ~$4m of Myers cap and Garland's $4.9m to get a solid, mid term, top 4 RHD (a Tanev/Larsson/Jensen etc) AND another "mucker" in the top 6 that's on whichever line Mikheyev isn't, and keeps Lafferty, Hoglander and PDG in the bottom 6.

Again, "ideally".

2 years, 2mil playing on a bad team where he'll likely look terrible, even Ovi is shitting the bed there. He could have signed 1x1mil here and possibly played with Hughes and gotten the bag in the offseason on maybe a 3 or 4 year deal. Short term gain for long term loss, especially if playing meaningful games matter. Oh well. Best of luck to him.

On 12/15/2023 at 1:48 PM, JeremyCuddles said:

2 years, 2mil playing on a bad team where he'll likely look terrible, even Ovi is shitting the bed there. He could have signed 1x1mil here and possibly played with Hughes and gotten the bag in the offseason on maybe a 3 or 4 year deal. Short term gain for long term loss, especially if playing meaningful games matter. Oh well.

of luck to him.

He's coming off shoulder surgery he's not in game shape let alone mid season playing shape. He would have been a 6/7 D here. He's not coming in midway thru the season to play on top pair with Hughes..

He did the right thing for himself and his family. He got some stability, a pretty good contract and now he has next year to come into the season healthy and in shape in a contract year.. 

He'll also get a bigger role in WSH than he would have here. 

His agent did well to guide him in the right direction and to get him into somewhat of a bidding war and best deal possible. 

• Upvote 1