[Speculation] Canucks maintaining strong interest in free agent Ethan Bear

RWJC

56 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Agree 

I think PA is hoping a 1 yr contract near prorated minimum to just add another nhl d 4/5 caliber D man on the right side 

Bear took a step forward last year 

he could still grow into a 3/4 imo 

but I have overall higher hopes than relying on him as a 3 D 

maybe it's just me, but I feel like Bear could be a good 2nd pairing defenseman. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

maybe it's just me, but I feel like Bear could be a good 2nd pairing defenseman. 

"Good" might be a stretch. He could probably manage as the complementary guy to a REALLY good #3A D on a 2nd pair. He can certainly fill in for injuries on a 2nd pair. Otherwise he's pretty much a #4B-#5A D and if he's on your 3rd pair, you probably have a decent D core vs a mediocre one if he's on your 2nd. Him and Soucy would be a VERY solid and complementary 3rd pair IMO.

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

If we let Myers walk, we could probably bring in Bear and Tanev for a reasonable price next year.  

Bring back Cole.

It’ll be an older D core but a good one.

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Tanev

Soucy-Bear

If...?🤔  🤣🤣

Prefer we trade Garland for Peeke or similar and target Zadorov in the offseason and have either:

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Peeke

Soucy, Bear

or:

Hughes, Peeke

Zadorov, Hronek

Soucy, Bear

...with Willander waiting in the wings

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

If we let Myers walk, we could probably bring in Bear and Tanev for a reasonable price next year.  

Bring back Cole.

It’ll be an older D core but a good one.

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Tanev

Soucy-Bear

So we trade Hirose and McWard then who are younger???

Rather not resign Cole and use Hirose and not sign Bear and use McWard next year.

Hughes. Hronek

Soucy. McWard

Hirose. ???  

We could use cap space or trade a Garland plus to get that other RHD.

Should be a great D next year.But signing Bear and Tanev would make no sense if we trade for a RHD this season.Grab one Tanev who is miles better then Bear if we don't.

4 hours ago, cripplereh said:

So we trade Hirose and McWard then who are younger???

Rather not resign Cole and use Hirose and not sign Bear and use McWard next year.

Hughes. Hronek

Soucy. McWard

Hirose. ???  

We could use cap space or trade a Garland plus to get that other RHD.

Should be a great D next year.But signing Bear and Tanev would make no sense if we trade for a RHD this season.Grab one Tanev who is miles better then Bear if we don't.

Sure, if we trade for someone that changes the landscape a lot.  But personally McWard and Hirose need to show a whole lot more before they get pencilled onto the 3rd pair let alone 2nd.  

Injuries will happen and we’ll see. 

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

If...?🤔  🤣🤣

Prefer we trade Garland for Peeke or similar and target Zadorov in the offseason and have either:

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Peeke

Soucy, Bear

or:

Hughes, Peeke

Zadorov, Hronek

Soucy, Bear

Myers is my hot take and I’m not giving up on him for another 35 games minimum! 😅

Not sure if we need Zadorov, Peeke and Soucy all lumbering around out there but I’d be down with either/or on Peeke/Zadorov.  With that said, reading between the lines, if management wanted Peeke it would already be done. 

One thing I like about Cole (and the idea of circling back on Tanev) is that any risk with their age can hopefully be weighed against shorter contracts (and thus keeping some flexibility around a guy like Willander.)

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Sure, if we trade for someone that changes the landscape a lot.  But personally McWard and Hirose need to show a whole lot more before they get pencilled onto the 3rd pair let alone 2nd.  

Injuries will happen and we’ll see. 

Myers is my hot take and I’m not giving up on him for another 35 games minimum! 😅

Not sure if we need Zadorov, Peeke and Soucy all lumbering around out there but I’d be down with either/or on Peeke/Zadorov.  With that said, reading between the lines, if management wanted Peeke it would already be done. 

One thing I like about Cole (and the idea of circling back on Tanev) is that any risk with their age can hopefully be weighed against shorter contracts (and thus keeping some flexibility around a guy like Willander.)

Hirose has showed he belongs, but off-season signings gives her m time to tune his game.Not a bad idea to make us better, same goes for McWard.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, EagleEye said:

This love for Bear has to stop..

Too small too soft too risky after injury...

Soooo many better options out there.

Get over the emotional attachment people. He is not anything close to what this team needs. 

FM.

Really?  So many better options?  He’s a UFA. He literally costs no assets to acquire. 

How many NHL calibre RHD are available for nothing?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, EagleEye said:

Get over the emotional attachment people. He is not anything close to what this team needs. 

FM.

please list “options” that you know for fact are within an overall reasonable price point to acquire while at the same time mgmt has also determined are not good enough for this roster. And before you list waiver wire fodder, please have a look at how many went unclaimed. 

im not a huge fan of Bear but when you lack assets that others find attractive and/or cap space, your options are certainly limited. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

please list “options” that you know for fact are within an overall reasonable price point but also mgmt has determined are not good enough for this roster. And before you lost waiver wire fodder, please have a look at how many went unclaimed. 

im not a huge fan of Bear but when you lack assets that others find attractive, your options are certainly limited. 

There are no comparable, proven NHL defenders available on a short term, low contract.  That’s why several teams are interested in him. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, RWJC said:

please list “options” that you know for fact are within an overall reasonable price point to acquire while at the same time mgmt has also determined are not good enough for this roster. And before you list waiver wire fodder, please have a look at how many went unclaimed. 

im not a huge fan of Bear but when you lack assets that others find attractive and/or cap space, your options are certainly limited. 

Do we have an estimated return to playing date report yet?

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Do we have an estimated return to playing date report yet?

“Skating, still out into December

Bear (shoulder) is skating, but is expected to be out until around Christmas, Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet reports.

Impact Bear remains a free agent, and interest in his services likely won't pick up until he's gotten the all-clear from a doctor. The 26-year-old defenseman could be a nice midseason addition for a team, but he's unlikely to play a fantasy-friendly role.”

SEPTEMBER 26•ROTOWIRE

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/ethan-bear-player

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

“Skating, still out into December

Bear (shoulder) is skating, but is expected to be out until around Christmas, Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet reports.

Impact Bear remains a free agent, and interest in his services likely won't pick up until he's gotten the all-clear from a doctor. The 26-year-old defenseman could be a nice midseason addition for a team, but he's unlikely to play a fantasy-friendly role.”

SEPTEMBER 26•ROTOWIRE

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/ethan-bear-player

Something to follow. I think Dec 15th puts him right at 6 months. They have 5 games left in 2023 at that point with a 3 game homestand starting on Dec 23. You would think they would be aiming for some time around there.

image.png.25bdc806c49ec09e8862c85e88448967.png

• Cheers 1

Is there any cap related reason to signing him mid-season vs the start of the season?

Hopefully someone who knows better than I can tell me if I’m off on this, but I believe cap hits are pro-rated for players who sign after the season starts. So would his cap hit be higher if we sign him in december rather than last september?  If that’s true, then it that indicates to me we don’t have interest or are just pinching pennies. 

20 hours ago, EagleEye said:

FM.

I would test it out on a cheap 1 year deal for the remainder of the year as he's better than our current options. Nothing more than that though. See how it goes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/25/2023 at 2:18 PM, aGENT said:

If...?🤔  🤣🤣

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Peeke

Soucy, Bear

or:

Hughes, Peeke

Zadorov, Hronek

Soucy, Bear

Tanev is superior to peeke 

if a garland for peeke trade was an option for the Canucks the trade would have already happened 

Edited by canucks curse

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

if a garland for peeke trade was an option for the Canucks the trade would have already happened 

The interesting thing with this mgmt group is that no one that was rumoured to be on our radar has actually been acquired. They may have shown interest, but I believe they also may have a much different assessment of personnel than expected.
No one saw Lafferty or DeSmith coming our way.

Soucy was a foregone conclusion to try and pursue as a UFA but Cole wasn’t.
Blueger and Suter were also possibilities but not the ideal players that were connected to this team in the media 

I think we will see mgmt continue to pursue some guys that are flying under the radar a bit, rather than the obvious or those pinpointed by media speculation. Perhaps I’m wrong, but the obvious targets make for good discussion and unless you’re GMJB pursuing your man for 2 seasons, I think there’s a real possibility we end up with reinforcements that no one is yet considering. Who might that be? No idea. Mgmt are better poker players than I am.

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The interesting thing with this mgmt group is that no one that was rumoured to be on our radar has actually been acquired. They may have shown interest, but I believe they also may have a much different assessment of personnel than expected.
No one saw Lafferty or DeSmith coming our way.

Soucy was a foregone conclusion to try and pursue as a UFA but Cole wasn’t.
Blueger and Suter were also possibilities but not the ideal players that were connected to this team in the media 

I think we will see mgmt continue to pursue some guys that are flying under the radar a bit, rather than the obvious or those pinpointed by media speculation. Perhaps I’m wrong, but the obvious targets make for good discussion and unless you’re GMJB pursuing your man for 2 seasons, I think there’s a real possibility we end up reinforcements that no one is yet considering. Who might that be? No idea. Mgmt are better poker players than I am.

If Calgary keeps tail spinning I want to steal Zadorov from them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

Who said he wasn't? He's also older, frequently injured and more expensive than Peeke. I'd rather have the younger, bigger, meaner Zadorov, who was the other UFA regardless.

Edited by aGENT
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who said he wasn't? He's also older, frequently injured and more expensive than Peeke. I'd rather have the younger, bigger, meaner Zadorov, who was the other UFA regardless.

Yep. A few of us in the club have been drooling over the idea of Zaddy in our jersey for a lonnnnng time now. Man, it really seems like it could come to fruition in the offseason at the latest. Will be a great add if so. Truly necessary and such a good fit. We shall be rewarded (fingers crossed)!

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 10/25/2023 at 8:04 PM, cripplereh said:

Hirose has showed he belongs, but off-season signings gives her m time to tune his game.Not a bad idea to make us better, same goes for McWard.

I think McWard and Hirose are two that have a pretty good chance at making the main roster eventually. 

• Cheers 1