[Report] Waivers Oct 19 - MacEwen, Simek, Harkins

RWJC

Just now, Bob Long said:

I get that, but did you enjoy the way Philly pushed us around? we'll be facing that regularly. I get it, Mac isn't going to score. But to have that around as a 13th F option seems fine to me if we can swing it cap wise. 

Philly pushed us around by carrying the puck most of the time and outshooting us 42-25. Hits were 18-13 in our favour. Again, I don't buy it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

aren't you tired of the lack of pushback this team has had tho? 

Sure, but it's not worth having a useless winger aside from being able to push back. There's benefit to McEwen, but all our other options provide more in total. I suppose it's subjective, but I personally feel like the pushback we would gain from MacEwen fighting would be less beneficicial than the loss we would have from the other parts of his game, relative to replacement options.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Philly pushed us around by carrying the puck most of the time and outshooting us 42-25. Hits were 18-13 in our favour. Again, I don't buy it. 

When you get hit by a 160 lbs 5'11 guy you dont even take your eyes off the puck. When you get hit by 240 lbs you are looking over your shoulder the rest of the game.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

He does something well.  That's more than can be said about Studnicka who's sort of ok at a couple of things.  Toughness still matters especially if the team has playoff aspirations.

thats how I see it as well. 

Its just one of those arguments I suppose. I know what I'd like to see more of. If Jeannot runs a few guys tonight and there's no response I guess we just say we were outplayed again? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

When you get hit by a 160 lbs 5'11 guy you dont even take your eyes off the puck. When you get hit by 240 lbs you are looking over your shoulder the rest of the game.

I'm not going to go around in circles with you, it's pretty apparent we aren't going to agree. I already told Bob Long that I wasn't arguing that size doesn't have it's place, I'm just not interested in face punchers. 

Players with size who can do more than just hit and throw hands are fine, I don't view Mac as providing more than that. 

I don't believe having a big guy who can punch helmets is going to stop players from taking runs at guys if they want to. Particularly if he's a fourth liner who's more likely to be off the ice most of the time. 

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If we trade Garland between now and when the waiver claim needs to be put in, yep I'd pick Mac up. 

I don't see what others do in Joshua, shows up when he feels like it. I'd rather have a legit deterrent on the roster. 

This. I would claim Zack and put Joshua on waivers. The goof shows up to camp in average shape as a fringe NHLer. WTF? Toss him. Zack gives it every shift and will fight anyone. This team is so ffnn soft and our supposed tough guy has an identity crisis. Did you all watch Koneckny run around like a kid at Toys R Us with a hundred dollar bill burning a hole in his pocket? So, so tired of Charmin players. Especially players that take their place on the roster for granted. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

This. I would claim Zack and put Joshua on waivers. The goof shows up to camp in average shape as a fringe NHLer. WTF? Toss him. Zack gives it every shift and will fight anyone. This team is so ffnn soft and our supposed tough guy has an identity crisis. Did you all watch Koneckny run around like a kid at Toys R Us with a hundred dollar bill burning a hole in his pocket? So, so tired of Charmin players. Especially players that take their place on the roster for granted. 

preaching to the converted on this one. 

I do see the argument others are making, but I think we have enough skill on the team to carry a guy like this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

thats how I see it as well. 

Its just one of those arguments I suppose. I know what I'd like to see more of. If Jeannot runs a few guys tonight and there's no response I guess we just say we were outplayed again? 

Exactly. Desharnais and Koneckny embarrassed the Canucks, again. Did you see Kon go after Lafferty for shooting puck in the net after the whistle.? That wasn't a "hey coach, look at me being tough" aka Joshua move. Kon's move came from the heart and he skated to Lafferty to give him what for and a big FU. That's what I want. That's hockey. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Shit, waive Beu and Joshua and claim Zak. Do we really lose anything without those two in the lineup? So tired of players that are just "there" 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

preaching to the converted on this one. 

I do see the argument others are making, but I think we have enough skill on the team to carry a guy like this. 

Ya. I had high hopes for Joshua, but he's looking like another wannabe. 

• Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Yeah. 240 lbs and when Deslauriers knocked Petey out of the zone the other night, he was stuck on the ice for two icings, and Neither Joshua or Stednica said "put me in coach!"

Deslauriers only played 8 minutes that game.... yeah we need him at the low cap hit for 3 years.

Exactly man!! You can see the body language of Joshua.... it's like he's under so much pressure to play an enforcer role and yet he just wanna play some hockey...

MacEwen can help us deter some goons and cheap shot artists!!! claim him and worry about roster movements after!! 

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Ya. I had high hopes for Joshua, but he's looking like another wannabe. 

well.. I don't blame the guy.. just because he's got size, doesn't mean he has to hit every moving thing to keep his job.... but ya, he usually looks kinda limited....

MacEwen on the other hand will stand up for our star players!!

43 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Very true, and regardless of the onset of it becoming more skill/speed based, id hazard a guess that the players still kept their head on a swivel for a physical presence. Look at the spate of recent injuries and you’ll see they were mostly perpetuated by physical force against the player. I agree I wish we could find a player who can contribute in more ways, but having a dominant physical presence does add a major element. Same reason why fans were excited about Cole and Soucy and lament the loss of Schenn. We lack attributes that hold up for playoff bound teams. Somehow we need to address those needs f we want to assert any presence as a potential playoff team with a decent chance

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

well.. I don't blame the guy.. just because he's got size, doesn't mean he has to hit every moving thing to keep his job.... but ya, he usually looks kinda limited....

MacEwen on the other hand will stand up for our star players!!

What else does Joshua provide though? Some players have limited potential in the bigs and as such have to play to demand. Imho He’s lucky he still has a roster spot. 

24 minutes ago, OffGridCamperDude said:

The whole team plays bigger when you have a guy like Mac, and the opposing players also play a little different knowing they will eventually have to take a punch in the face for being dirty D-bags. 

He's familiar, popular and his entire cap can easily be burried. 

I'd pick him up. 

It I was an opposing forward choosing between stickhandling around a guy that presents no physical barrier versus one that does, I know whom I’d prefer to challenge and I’d also have no second thought about potentially landing on my ass. 

The psychology around the physical element is still very much present in the game and teams play with more confidence when they have a stronger physical presence. Like it or not there is still much ego, bravado and testosterone in the NHL. That has not yet changed.

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, RWJC said:

What else does Joshua provide though? Some players have limited potential in the bigs and as such have to play to demand. Imho He’s lucky he still has a roster spot. 

I dunno too man.... see how long Toch will keep him around...  so between Joshua and Big Mac... who do you prefer?

Do we think that McEwen can skate well enough?... If his decision making and skating is there, then he should take Joshua's place or we have to send out Beau on top of Garland.  So McEwen in, Miky in, and Bluegar in.  Studnika sent down.

Kuzy-Petey-Miky

PDG-JT-BB

Högs-Suter-Joshua

Laffy-Blue-McEwen

Now that's a heavy forwards throughout the line-up.  But enough scoring?

58 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Exactly. Desharnais and Koneckny embarrassed the Canucks, again. Did you see Kon go after Lafferty for shooting puck in the net after the whistle.? That wasn't a "hey coach, look at me being tough" aka Joshua move. Kon's move came from the heart and he skated to Lafferty to give him what for and a big FU. That's what I want. That's hockey. 

The optimist in me hopes it was a calculated move by Lafferty to take Konecny out of the game. He was killing us for sure - hell of a player. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'm less convinced that face punchers present as a deterrent in the modern NHL than others, I'm more interested in players who can do more fitting into our bottom six. Particularly as leagues move further and further away from fighting. 

There seems to be this mythology that it's still a massive factor now the way it may have been as late as the early 2010's, I don't buy it. I'm not arguing that size doesn't have it's place, I'm just not all that interested in players who primary contributions are viewed as being the ability to punch the helmets of other NHL players. 

Goons have never been a deterrent

• Cheers 1