[Report] Waivers Oct 19 - MacEwen, Simek, Harkins

RWJC

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Beauvillier is a one-dimensional player.  If he isn't scoring, he's a waste of a roster spot.  So, although he brings more scoring than MacEwen, Beau brings nothing else to the table and cannot be on the 3rd line.  At least with MacEwen, you can slot him in on the 4th line and he will give you 8-10 hard minutes a night.  Same with Ryan Reaves.  Beauvillier honestly does nothing on the 3rd line and at this point is a liability not an asset to this team...

Add on the fact his contract is an expiring one, and will take less of an add to receive a likely better player than the Garland trade, which sounds like 1.5m retained for two more years and possibly an add to get a player of worth or at least just cap relief(with the retained $$)  from... I don't know why the Canucks aren't pursuing this more! Side note that's a lot of dead cap adding up, Id rather keep Garland till the TDL and pump up his stats or try to. I like his play 100% more than Beau anyways. 

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

MacEwen isn't Ryan Reaves, but I bet he would beat the snot out of Dakota Joshua.  Joshua would most likely bear hug him and hang on to him like he did in the Edmonton game with Desharnais.  Meanwhile, MacEwen went toe to toe with Nurse and was about to pound him hard before Nurse pulled an MMA takedown on him...

Nurse isn't exactly tough though.  He's mostly known for cheapshots and then diving when anyone gets near him.  He's one of the most gutless cowards in the history of the sport.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He does something well.  That's more than can be said about Studnicka who's sort of ok at a couple of things.  Toughness still matters especially if the team has playoff aspirations.

Studnicka does flyby's and doesn't finish checks when they are there. We'll he's only 180 and I really think he's not built to be a hitter on our 4th line. Zak Mak is built to be on the 4th line. Studnicka has lost weight to become faster? Which is weird, not what we needed, not another Hogs. Studnicka is way too small to be our 4th line checker. Back in the day Tocchet would have destroyed Studnicka. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RWJC said:

The contract…very good point. 

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

And you can sign a player like that for less than 3 years as a FA worst case scenario. I'd rather over pay to try and pry Pezzetta out of Montreal than claim an overpaid more useless player in MacEwen. Settling for aa shit player for mediocre "toughness" and an overpaid punching bag with term is beyond dumb for this team. 

Not that I'd claim Mac but the contract is hardly a problem. It's league minimum so can't really call him overpaid, worse case he gets waived again and buried or claimed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, -dlc- said:

He's 6'4" 240 lbs and will fight with anyone.

I don't care if he sucks, we need a guy like that.

393765956_10160586010625549_700011886406

It's not like he can't play hockey either.   Watching him when the team came to Laval, he was one of if not their best player.   At least he's willing to do whatever it takes to get his shot.   Brashear showed he had hands at lower levers (not just fists) too.   Our team is soft, like Tochett said, and there is no advanced stats for showing what having a true enforcer does for the team in other ways.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua can't even fight.  He literally bear hugs guys every time.  We legit don't even have one fighter on the roster.  I'd rather have MacEwen on the roster than Beauvillier.  What exactly does Beauvillier even do?

Absolutely.   Then use that 3.2 cash on something else.     McEwen is a good call-up too. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bob Long said:

thats how I see it as well. 

Its just one of those arguments I suppose. I know what I'd like to see more of. If Jeannot runs a few guys tonight and there's no response I guess we just say we were outplayed again? 

And then watch the new guy embarrass himself.  Not very "inspiring".   

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

All MacEwen does is fight. Would be a great in 2002, but not enough to be an NHL player now in 2023.

Zack has a massive heart.  And is a better hockey player than 90% of Abby.    Watching him in the AHL, before he got his shot (which he absolutely earned) his contract definitely wouldn't hurt us, was a lot better then Dahlen anyways, plus was a big boy.    And always noticeable in a good way.    His skills never quite got there, but they are close to NHL regular level, it's not like he's fighting every game.   Doesn't need to be iced regularly either.   Anyways wouldn't worry about, sure some other fringe player will get his contract slot, probably played with PIT or from Sweden. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I get that, but did you enjoy the way Philly pushed us around? we'll be facing that regularly. I get it, Mac isn't going to score. But to have that around as a 13th F option seems fine to me if we can swing it cap wise. 

Was pissed when we waived Gadj, guy went on to have the best ranked fight of the year by hockey fights.com last season.    It's become so rare these days, to find anyone with the skillsets these guys have.    And the league has maybe 2 actual power forwards in it.   So we can scratch that off our wish list. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Add on the fact his contract is an expiring one, and will take less of an add to receive a likely better player than the Garland trade, which sounds like 1.5m retained for two more years and possibly an add to get a player of worth or at least just cap relief(with the retained $$)  from... I don't know why the Canucks aren't pursuing this more! Side note that's a lot of dead cap adding up, Id rather keep Garland till the TDL and pump up his stats or try to. I like his play 100% more than Beau anyways. 

I like Garland as a good try-er, but he just doesn't cut it.

Did you see his shot on that nice 3 or 4 passes drive to the net?

Typical Garland shot, acute angle (on the goal line again), muffin-flubber of a worthless shot to the middle of the goalie's stomach.

Garland is better than Beauvillier, but they both have to go and I believe PA has been trying his best to dump both of them.

They may even be the "2 contracts we have to get rid of yet" that JR spoke about.

Much as I like Big Zach (and if he really is +35 pounds to 240!) he is probably overweight, and has been moved on from at least a half-dozen teams.

Highly doubt he is an answer for us of any kind, big, tall, or tough; apparently not good enough at hockey to carry the day.

We will soon see if any team claims him.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Was pissed when we waived Gadj, guy went on to have the best ranked fight of the year by hockey fights.com last season.    It's become so rare these days, to find anyone with the skillsets these guys have.    And the league has maybe 2 actual power forwards in it.   So we can scratch that off our wish list. 

But hey at least we got to see Green style hockey 😂 just have to laugh and forget about it 

3 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

I like Garland as a good try-er, but he just doesn't cut it.

Did you see his shot on that nice 3 or 4 passes drive to the net?

Typical Garland shot, acute angle (on the goal line again), muffin-flubber of a worthless shot to the middle of the goalie's stomach.

Garland is better than Beauvillier, but they both have to go and I believe PA has been trying his best to dump both of them.

They may even be the "2 contracts we have to get rid of yet" that JR spoke about.

Much as I like Big Zach (and if he really is +35 pounds to 240!) he is probably overweight, and has been moved on from at least a half-dozen teams.

Highly doubt he is an answer for us of any kind, big, tall, or tough; apparently not good enough at hockey to carry the day.

We will soon see if any team claims him.

Yeah both should go, I had to radio the game last night at work driving forklift, but yeah I do agree both should be gone, it's gonna cost us but at this point we gotta push a bit so Petey extends past his ufa status eh

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

3 years for a replacement level player is a problem

maybe a problem for the owner as its a 1way contract so an expensive AHL player yes, but if and when we make the playoffs mark my words teams we play will target and go after our players and our current roster does NOT have a player to push back and defend our key players...If Mac is willing to be a hard skating, hitting player who drops the gloves its a cheap contract for us to take on for 3 years if he provides some level of security the Canuck players imo anyway

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Viking said:

maybe a problem for the owner as its a 1way contract so an expensive AHL player yes, but if and when we make the playoffs mark my words teams we play will target and go after our players and our current roster does NOT have a player to push back and defend our key players...If Mac is willing to be a hard skating, hitting player who drops the gloves its a cheap contract for us to take on for 3 years if he provides some level of security the Canuck players imo anyway

We can get a comparable that can actually play hockey with no term. MacEwen quite honestly sucks as a hockey player, good dude, but a punching bag that can't play. It's not happening. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

We can get a comparable that can actually play hockey with no term. MacEwen quite honestly sucks as a hockey player, good dude, but a punching bag that can't play. It's not happening. 

I get that. But then do it. I know it's tough to aquire guys that can fight and play, but we have been lacking this for years. Too bad about Ferland, he was a great player of that type.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

3 years for a replacement level player is a problem

Not much of one tbh.

Moot point anyway, don't think they should or would put a claim in. Management probably want to see how the team plays with Blueger and Mik back in the lineup before they start picking up fringe NHLers.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we'll see. No one "wanted" Rathbone either until he cleared. 

Maybe, but if Ottawa gave him that term as a player who'd never played a game for them I reckon it's probably because they want to keep him 

Sens are pretty tight to the cap, more than likely he was simply a cap casualty and if they're struck by injuries he may go back up 

He just didn't move the needle enough for anyone to claim him or waive someone to create space for him 

Rathbone was a different scenario, Canucks were doing him a favour and getting what they could in the form of depth in return 

Edited by Coconuts