[PGT] Tampa vs. Vancouver. Tampa wins 4-3

Chickenspear

I felt the team put in an earnest effort and just got outclassed by a better team last night. 

One thing i thought about was that Tampa showed what it takes to be a winner. Canucks came out hard and was generally a tough team to play against and even took the lead at one point. It would have been easy for Tampa to fold or say they'll let this one go and come out hard next game and beat a team that's less motivated. But we didn't see that. They stepped up their intensity and their will to win got greater. 

Some Ppl made excuses for the canucks last game against philly. I think for canucks to make the playoffs, every game needs to be hard fought like last night and we'll win some and lose some but that's what it will take. No more games like philly

Hi new team… same as the old team.

It still seems like a random assortment of talented and less talented players.

No identity, the the team isn’t built with players who play the style the coach wants.  You need alignment from the top to the bottom.

The thing Boudreau realized quickly is that it is a pond hockey team, just go out and try to be creative and score as many goals as possible.  He didn’t have the horses to play a disciplined, gritty, defensive system… so he coached to the roster he was given.  Not a strategy to go far, but just to eke out as many wins as possible and be entertaining.

Green and Tocchet have a style they want to coach and play at.  The are trying to shoehorn a roster ill suited to it.

So much is riding on this season.  We have run out of runway, we need to be a serious playoff team that shows we are on an upwards trajectory.  If we are still a losing team how do you avoid starting over?  Petterson isn’t likely to extend long term, at least at reasonable dollars.

You can’t go into next season with Petterson just on a QO that walks him to free agency.

Please somehow let magic happen!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'ma have to add to the BINGO card: "Myers dogpiles on his own teammate and allows two guys to skate off with the puck (and score)"

Even I didn't see that one coming.

I really want him to do better because I hate ragging on one of our own. But man, he sticks out like a sore thumb at times. 

You just have to laugh about it at this point.

I can't see him here past the TDL if Bear is ready.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

No identity, the the team isn’t built with players who play the style the coach wants.  You need alignment from the top to the bottom.

The thing Boudreau realized quickly is that it is a pond hockey team, just go out and try to be creative and score as many goals as possible.  He didn’t have the horses to play a disciplined, gritty, defensive system… so he coached to the roster he was given.  Not a strategy to go far, but just to eke out as many wins as possible and be entertaining.

Green and Tocchet have a style they want to coach and play at.  The are trying to shoehorn a roster ill suited to it.

So much is riding on this season.  We have run out of runway, we need to be a serious playoff team that shows we are on an upwards trajectory.  If we are still a losing team how do you avoid starting over?  Petterson isn’t likely to extend long term, at least at reasonable dollars.

You can’t go into next season with Petterson just on a QO that walks him to free agency.

Its an interesting point... Maybe the team can't build a new identity until Petey is committed long term. 

There will be cap space to use to bring in better fits next season. 

Any team will have to pay full market value for Petey though.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ric Toc at least has a system, and a plan. I never could understand what Green was trying to do, I don't know if Green knew what he was trying to do.

I hate to say this but keeping changing jerseys to make money off of nostalgia is wrong. How can the team have an Identity if we don't even have a consistent jersey.

- Stop with the downhill skate. It's symbolic of a team going downhill.

- Have an alternate black version of the Orca if you must.

Blue/White/Green are sharp colours. Just stick with it.

We need bigger, faster players that work as a team. Not as individuals.

19 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'ma have to add to the BINGO card: "Myers dogpiles on his own teammate and allows two guys to skate off with the puck (and score)"

Even I didn't see that one coming.

I really want him to do better because I hate ragging on one of our own. But man, he sticks out like a sore thumb at times. 

Most/all long-term deals eventually suck at the end.  We got some good mileage out of Myers (we can't forget that).  Its just that his play has fallen off the cliff recently.  Much like how Hansen seemed to do the same after we dealt him to the Sharks.  Happens to most/all athletes at some point.

2 hours ago, Rekker said:

I'm starting to fear the worst because I'm seeing too much of the same old crap. I fear this team is like a face with too many botched face jobs. It can't come back from all that damage to ever look good again. Frig. 

I'd like to say, Ah, They'll come around but you are absolutely right. The abundance of poorly thought out passes is alarming. Most really like coach Rick but

even in some interviews, he seems perplexed. The way it seems right now, our chances of playoffs aren't good at all..

• Cheers 1

Crap is as crap does. 

This looks like the same pushover, going through the motions, Canucks team I've been watching for 10 years.

Petey looked awful. Kuzmenko is invisible. Beauvillier and Garland are pretty useless. Myers is a train wreck in his own end. 

Playoffs? Fugetta 'bout it. 

Seen a few posters say the same things already, but... This team is just a randomly assorted group of other teams casted off free agents, small weak forwards and 10's of millions of dollars worth of players who don't do nearly enough.

A revolving door of overpaid free agents, new coaches and management and no good young talent pushing from underneath.  We continue spending money, trading picks and buying out contracts.  Same old story

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I guess surrounding a solid core with a decent supporting cast is a job alot harder than it seems (re: the last time a Canucks GM inherited a solid core).😉

Well you can't have one without the other. Without a solid core you don't go anywhere either. Especially if you can't draft out of a wet paper bag.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Its an interesting point... Maybe the team can't build a new identity until Petey is committed long term. 

There will be cap space to use to bring in better fits next season. 

Any team will have to pay full market value for Petey though.

There won't be cap space to bring in much next season.  What would motivate Petey to sign a long term extension if the team misses the playoffs again?

We have $56 million committed to 14 players, minus $2.5 for presumably another LTIR year for Poolman, but that opens another roster spot to fill.  So roughly $34 million to spend if the cap goes up by the higher end of the range expected at $4 million.

Kuzmenko-XX-Hoglander
Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser
Garland-Suter-XX
Di Guiseppe-XX-XX
XX

Hughes-XX
Soucy-XX
XX-XX
Brisbois-Juulsen

Demko
XX

Rough values:
Petterson extension $11-12 million
Hronek extension $7.5-8 million

Now we have 14-15 million left to sign 12 players, that is a little over league minimum for each empty roster spot.  We need one or two top four D from that depending on if Soucy can improve.  You can go to the market and find a $5 million D man, who will likely be a fringe top 4.  That drops you to $9-10 million to sign 11 players, so all at less than $1 million average.  Those guys can be a better stylistic fit, but they aren't going to be good enough.  This exercise is just to bring in almost the same roster that hasn't shown to be able to make the playoffs.

Oh, and a big chunk (or all of) the expected cap increase the next year is taken up by the increasing OEL dead money, so no cavalry coming then either.  This picture shows whey it is so important to have a solid pipeline of high end prospects.  When expensive veteran contracts roll off, you need cheap ELCs taking their place just to afford raises to your good players.  You can't normally find good value deals on the open market.

If you don't think a lot of riding on this season, you are just dreaming.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I’d disagree with this. Look at Toronto’s core to see lack of heart. Or our past captain, Horvat. I think Petey, Miller, Hughes, Demko, all have huge heart. I think we still just lack some size / grit in the line up, leading us to be regularly outplayed / outshot.

I don't see it yet. 

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Most/all long-term deals eventually suck at the end.  We got some good mileage out of Myers (we can't forget that).  Its just that his play has fallen off the cliff recently.  Much like how Hansen seemed to do the same after we dealt him to the Sharks.  Happens to most/all athletes at some point.

Myers contract has hampered us since the very first day it was signed.  Jets fans (and management) knew it would cost way too much to retain him, they all wanted him gone.  Mr Jim Benning to the rescue.  6X6 for a guy that shouldn't of been a nickel over 3 mil during his whole time here.

2 hours ago, tas said:

the team lacks heart. 

it's interesting. when we think of cores we usually think of a group of the most talented players on a team. maybe we should be thinking of cores as the spine, guts, and heart of a team instead. 

It's tough. Quite possibly the best D man, center, goalie in club history. Plus Miller, and we still don't look good.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I'd like to say, Ah, They'll come around but you are absolutely right. The abundance of poorly thought out passes is alarming. Most really like coach Rick but

even in some interviews, he seems perplexed. The way it seems right now, our chances of playoffs aren't good at all..

I like Tochett a lot. But maybe he has to ease off a bit on the strong D play. Get back some offence while working the stronger D play back in. The poor passes your thinking of? That's absolutely players thinking instead of doing. You don't have time for that at this level.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

There won't be cap space to bring in much next season.  What would motivate Petey to sign a long term extension if the team misses the playoffs again?

We have $56 million committed to 14 players, minus $2.5 for presumably another LTIR year for Poolman, but that opens another roster spot to fill.  So roughly $34 million to spend if the cap goes up by the higher end of the range expected at $4 million.

Kuzmenko-XX-Hoglander
Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser
Garland-Suter-XX
Di Guiseppe-XX-XX
XX

Hughes-XX
Soucy-XX
XX-XX
Brisbois-Juulsen

Demko
XX

Rough values:
Petterson extension $11-12 million
Hronek extension $7.5-8 million

Now we have 14-15 million left to sign 12 players, that is a little over league minimum for each empty roster spot.  We need one or two top four D from that depending on if Soucy can improve.  You can go to the market and find a $5 million D man, who will likely be a fringe top 4.  That drops you to $9-10 million to sign 11 players, so all at less than $1 million average.  Those guys can be a better stylistic fit, but they aren't going to be good enough.  This exercise is just to bring in almost the same roster that hasn't shown to be able to make the playoffs.

Oh, and a big chunk (or all of) the expected cap increase the next year is taken up by the increasing OEL dead money, so no cavalry coming then either.  This picture shows whey it is so important to have a solid pipeline of high end prospects.  When expensive veteran contracts roll off, you need cheap ELCs taking their place just to afford raises to your good players.  You can't normally find good value deals on the open market.

If you don't think a lot of riding on this season, you are just dreaming.

I think you're a little premature on the cap calc's. Also Hronek at 8 mil? where does that come from?

We can see Allvin can bring in the right style of support players at good value so I'm not concerned about filling in many of the spots. Hirose, Lafferty, Blueger, Sutter, etc. will all be in the good value range and likely more than willing to sign at good AAVs if they get 2 year deals.

Where we need value is in our ELC/bridge kids. Podz in particular needs to step up and if he can make the jump should be excellent cap value.

I also don't see Garland as part of things moving forward.

• Cheers 1