[PGT] Tampa vs. Vancouver. Tampa wins 4-3

Chickenspear

2 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

Don't blame Myers, blame the coaches.

5 on 5 Myers is one of the best in the league this year so far.

Myers big weakness, apart from plain getting older and slower, is playing on the PK.

The coaches know Myers is not good on the PK but put him out there anyway. Why? So the simple fans have something to blame other than the fact the team is just not that good or has big problems still.

Look how all the simple fans have fallen into line following the created narrative of "Blame it on Myers" without looking at a deeper cause for team, TEAM failure.

Did one of you posters bother to look for yourself as to a deeper reason why he was in those positions to begin with? Why was that puck there in the first place? Why was there no outlet pass available? Where were the other Canuck penalty killers? (2, Outside the blue line), Why didn't Cole go towards the net when there was 3 Tampa players in front of Demko, on a PK? So a bad pass causes Demko to rim the puck, Cole fumbles the pick up and leaves Myers the ONLY Canuck behind with three Tampa players and Demko. Really look at the replay but also why Demko is playing the puck. Where are all the PK?

So you think the coaches put him on the PK, because fans?

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't think he's the worst as you can see from the underlying numbers he's not playing all that bad overall, the issue is the mistakes he does make are catastrophic and ones someone of his experience should not be making. 

There's been a lot worse than Myers. When the team is off, his mistakes get amplified. The upside is this is all happening early. Hopefully Foote and Gonchar are putting in OT on him as we speak.

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

The sky isn’t falling. We played really well at evens. Our core is great. Six wins in a row coming up. Just be thankful we aren’t the Sabres! My Goodness they’re terrible. They do have Powers though. He’s their best player. That guy is good. 

And they have Dahlin on defense, he is great.

8 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Twitter, IG, Facebook, you name it... if it's a post from NHL or any hockey based account that isn't strictly from Vancouver, the IQ on Hughes is terrible. They honestly think he's a liability in his own zone lol 

pity-mrt.gif

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, XxNaslundxX said:

On one hand, we must not forget myers absolutely rocked duncan keith and forever has my gratitude. 

On the other hand, we must not forget myers tackled petey and is a defensive liability.  

And John Tavares, but he’s got little to no consistency in that department. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kirk said:

The reffing out east is always biased against us.

Refs are biased against us because most of them come from eastern Canada. They grew up with parents telling them Vancouver was a hated city because of our weather and beautiful beaches. They all suffered in those cold, smelly east of the Rockies cities. Jealous losers. And cheatin’ little bastards. 

4 minutes ago, Guitarded said:

No he needs press box minutes. I pray they trade him inside the division.

Soilers would be a perfect fit! 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya but really there are just too many holes on this ship and not enough assets to trade to fix them. We are in that no man's land because really what can they do? They don't have the players they need and have nothing that teams want to acquire them. It's hard when there is more than one piece that they need. I just feel this team lacks an overall toughness. It's embarassing how we get pushed around but again what really can management do without starting over? It feels like we are just wasting time. An impact physical power forward and an impact defensive tough dman. Those don't grow on trees. We haves lacked both of those for a while.

I agree… on both points -  we need team toughness - we might need to start again 

I said it before the season and I'll say it again - we needed another top defenceman. We should have gone hard after Hanifin or Pesce. Cole is a good top 4 guy. Hronek and Hughes are excellent. Soucy is a bottom pairing guy. That leaves a spot for a top 4 guy and a bottom pairing guy. We've got about 5 AHLers who rotate on the bottom pairing and it doesn't cost our team too much. But having Myers in that 4 spot burns us big time. That's supposed to be our shutdown pairing.

I don't know why we don't roll our pairings like this:

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose/Wolanin - Myers

Spread the love and also minimise our bad defencemen matching up against top players.

12 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

All you have to do is look at our wings and see the common theme and problem. Kuzmenko, Beau, Garland, Boeser. It's a bit redundant of a position. They are all small, not agressive enough and don't offer any physical attributes to the lineup. It's just too many of the same type of player. I am not sure why management hasn't seen that and changed it yet. They have likely tried but they are sort of stuck because of their contracts. Sad though.

Yes you answered the question yourself... They can't rid themselves of the contracts...

Last year they tried to off load Brock, but no takers,

This year they've been trying to offload Garland but no takers... 

Beau is 100% gone next season, and so will Garland most likely be, so they are addressing the issue.

If Kuz don't find his scoring soon, he will also be in the firing line... however think he'll come good, once we have Mika back...

Rome wasn't build in a year, unfortunately, hopefully we can get this team turned fully around faster than that.....

17 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think you're a little premature on the cap calc's. Also Hronek at 8 mil? where does that come from?

We can see Allvin can bring in the right style of support players at good value so I'm not concerned about filling in many of the spots. Hirose, Lafferty, Blueger, Sutter, etc. will all be in the good value range and likely more than willing to sign at good AAVs if they get 2 year deals.

Where we need value is in our ELC/bridge kids. Podz in particular needs to step up and if he can make the jump should be excellent cap value.

I also don't see Garland as part of things moving forward.

We have a few waiting in the wings, Podz, Bains, maybe Willander and/or Lekki, Raty, Klim, Karlsson, Sasson etc...

If a few, just a few of these can come in on ELCs it'll go a long way to help us out.