[PGT] Tampa vs. Vancouver. Tampa wins 4-3

Chickenspear

The problem with everyone thinking Myers is the problem is you got to replace him. With no cap room to get a fancy ass 4 million player, or even a 1.4 million player.

He plays top minutes against top lines and tonight, Hughes and Horonik even struggled.

Myers had a great goal tonight. Thats what I will try to remember.

That was rough, missed the last 10 minutes, but I think I saw enough.

The effort was there tonight except that 5 - 10 minute stretch at the end of the second. Unfortunately, all it takes is a bad few minutes. 

Also the pk needed to be a bit better. We outscored them 5v5, but giving up 2 goals on three pp's isnt going to cut it. If we even just killed off one extra of those pk's we couldve gotten a point out his one. Hopefully Mikhy can help in that regard. 

I dont think however, that we should panic. We have been pretty god 5v5 and I like the new additions so far. Lafferty has looked pretty good in his bottom six role. Cole has been pretty good as well, rough night for him tonight, but he is certainly not a liability out here like a certain dman.

Soucy was fine, he looked like a solid #5 guy, ideally 3rd pairing, but he can play top 4 well enough I suppose.  Starting the season recovering from injury is tough as well, I doubt hes 100%, so I'll give him a three or four games before I start making conclusions. 

I really like the Boeser - Miller- Giussepe line. They have been good, and Miller looks real good, he has been playing the right way so far. He has had his bad shifts, but I like what Im seeing from Miller so far. Boeser is shooting like he was in his rookie season, he still has areas to improve, but I like seeing him shooting with confidence.

Petey has been pretty good. He's cooled of a bit since game one, but hes is trying. I think its only a mtter of time till he gets going.

I think Kuzmenko needs to pick it up. He hasnt been bad, but things arent coming to him as easily. I think he needs to get a bit hungrier and start trying to be a bit more aggressive.

Everyone else has been fine, no complaints outside a couple players. 

Meyers needs to get it together. Im no hater, but hasnt been good so far excluding his one recent goal which he any dman couldve scored. It was a good shot, but he was the beneficiary of good playmaking by the team. Defensively he needs to be better, bad turnovers, bad penalties and bad zone reads. I believe he can be better, but the team needs that to happen sooner than later.

Garland doesnt look like he is a good fit with Petey and Kuz, and I struggle to see where to put him in line up,. You dont break up the Miller line, they are our only consistent line right now. If he is in the bottom six, I dont think he is strong enough defensively for those bottom six minutes. I like Garland, but its clear the team doesnt have a proper spot for him to utilize his toolset. 

Tough game tonight, but Tampa is still a talented team and we battled them hard for most of the game. Would like to see the penalties to be in our favor one of these games.

Still, we have the opportunity to come out of this road above 500, so lets wait till were back home before making assumptions.

Heres hoping we can pick up a big win in Florida and get back on the right rack. Go Canucks Go!!!

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Disappointing loss against a good team. The Canucks had the edge at even strength, but obviously the two PP goals were the difference. 

Key points:

1. The most obvious negative is that 2 of the 4 Tampa goals were due to terrible plays by Myers. I know that dumping on Myers is getting old, and he did get a nice goal tonight, but he just seems like a huge liability. The Canucks would have bought him out except that his contract makes a buyout useless (thanks Benning). At this stage I think he needs to sit down for a game even if means playing a lefty on the right side.

2. The Miller line was very good. And the Petey line was good. Will need some production from the bottom 6 at some point.

3. Friedman was not bad. Looks like a definite upgrade on Juulsen.

4. Demko was good but not as good as last game. Would have been nice to come up with one more big save.

5. Looking forward to the return of Mikheyev.

6. Have to clean up the penalties. Not sure what the problem is. Yes, the calls are marginal but the players need to focus.

Thanks for the non-emotional perspective. It's obvious where we are against good teams. The takeaway so far ... We're just not good enough. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Tusk said:

Myers was still a +1 on the night, Soucy and Friedman both a -1

You people gotta wake up a little.

I don’t care about plus/minus. I care about not making stupid plays at always the wrong time. Myers is a tire fire. I don’t care about it goal. I care about him playing defence. Clearing pucks and not gifting the opposition goals 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I don’t care about plus/minus. I care about not making stupid plays at always the wrong time. Myers is a tire fire. I don’t care about it goal. I care about him playing defence. Clearing pucks and not gifting the opposition goals 

Especially since +/- is perhaps the worst offender at being a context lacking statistic.  Having a foot on the ice doesn't neccessarily mean they were involved in a given play, good or bad.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Trying to clear it? What a schmuck. When you try to clear a puck, you don’t pass it to an opposing player, ya assclown. 

Cmon Phillip, it’s obvious Myers was just trying to get an apple to pad his stats in contract year. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Blue said:

Something about flying to Philly maybe

Oilers put forth 'unacceptable' effort, lose to Flyers in disheartening fashion

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-put-forth-unacceptable-effort-lose-to-flyers-in-disheartening-fashion/

We weren’t ready for the Philly game either but Torts is running a tight ship. Not surprised by their start. It’ll be tough for them to keep it up but they will be competitive 

39 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The easiest and cheapest way to improve the team would have been by drafting players the last 5 years. Instead of trading those picks for band aid fixes that end up falling flat. But either way, buying out OEL was not the solution. He was not the problem. The players we got with that buyout we can't keep long term. And when the bad contracts expire, the buyout will eat that cap anyway. So we're not really improving the team without picks and consistent dead cap.

Haha yes I agree somewhat but OEL was a problem too. We have so many. Definitely made lots of stupid moves along the way like you said and I am longing for a period where we stockpile some picks. I've known for 3 years + now that this team was dead in the water unless/until something was done about Myers and his $6 mil albatross contract. As expected we've been unable to move it so like I said next year it is. It's not ideal with the OEL hit but it's a lot better in terms of putting that aforementioned $15 mil towards players who are actually a solution. At that point our management is actually clear to go about signing the best defence we can, instead of live with a bunch of plugs. Hopefully one of our RD prospects like Willander works out soon too. We need it.

We'll have to be shrewd about the next two years and plan around the high OEL hit for two years before it drops a bit. 

Oh yeah, as an added bonus OEL also scored tonight. 🤒 😆🤣

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Philly spanked both Edmonton and Vancouver. Torts has them going this year. 

Not for long…it’s Torts!

Like Babcock, he’s a uber-narcissist!  Something minuscule will tick him off, he’ll find someone to hate-on, lose his cool at the worst time, plus predictably make more mountains out of mole-hills.

That dude is incapable of holding onto players or rooms. I pity the teams that tie themselves to Tortorella at this point.  

Edited by viking mama
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

People are looking for a single scapegoat. It's more than that. Tocchet has to start playing to strengths within the collective.

No it’s Tyler fricken Myers, get with the program. Haha 

Honestly it’s not easy to play Tampa in Tampa to boot. I’m ok with the loss. The effort was decent. Won’t stop me from blaming Myers though. I’m just done with that guy 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1