If you were to go back in time and bring back prime aged second-tier Canuck to the present so they could play on the current version of the Vancouver Canucks who would it be?

Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

If it came down to it I'd pick Juice too, we could use Burr's heart and talent up front but man, our D sure could use Juice right now

Juice played physical game in moving players out of the crease, Burrows had no problem causing problems in other end. But we need to prevent goals so that's why I went with Juice. Mitchell played the same way

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ManbeastMARK said:

I'd prefer prime Tanev to Bieksa. They played together and Tanev was a way better player.

Better defensively, likely, prime Juice was a more well rounded player though imo

We sure could use a Tanev though, no doubt 

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

It's likely people are reading the title and doing their best abide by the discussion at hand, or read the first line that says "So, like, you're not bringing back Bure, Naslund, Linden, a Sedin, Kesler, ect."

😉

Then it's Tanev or Ehrhoff for sure.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Juice played physical game in moving players out of the crease, Burrows had no problem causing problems in other end. But we need to prevent goals so that's why I went with Juice. Mitchell played the same way

Honestly, Mitchell was one of my favourites, wish we'd kept him 

I reckon things would have gone differently if we'd had him instead of Ballard during our run

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

a little before my time as a Canucks fan but where did he rank amongst Canucks tough guys? 

Oh man, I just remembered I forgot about Gino. Bump him to the top of my list. 

Toughest defenseman we've ever had and could play the game too.  Perfect partner for Hughes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'd take bert assuming he's not in the bure naslund category. Prime bert.. toughness scoring all in one

top 10 in Canucks scoring and one of the most dominate power forwards in NHL history in his prime. Don't see a world where he is a 2nd tier player.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

How do you define "second-tier"? My first thought is immediately Tanev, but I'm not sure if he counts or if he's top-tier. If not, Salo is a good option too, though worse than Tanev. Fills our need of a top 4 RD quite well. Prime Bieksa could rival Salo for sure, but Salo felt a bit more solid defensively than Juice.

If I had to pick a forward, I'd take Burrows if he doesn't count as top tier.

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

So, like, you're not bringing back Bure, Naslund, Linden, a Sedin, Kesler, ect. No all-time greats because that's less interesting discussion. 

It's a silly thread, sure, but I'm curious as to who you think would move the needle for the current roster the most.

Personally, I'd bring back Salo.

Chris Tanev........with Brad May being my 2nd choice?

How many guys are we allowed to bring back?  

I'd bring back prime Chris Tanev.  

Get that #2A/#3 calibre RHD to play with Hughes so that Hronek can be the alpha of the 2nd pairing with Cole or Soucy.  

Surprisingly, you know who might be my #2 guy?  Prime Brad May.  Good leader and locker room guy, and would provide some much needed grit and toughness up front.  Absolutely no one would take liberties with Pettersson or Hughes.  May day would stick up for his teammates and would also be able to back up his toughness with some decent hockey.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

top 10 in Canucks scoring and one of the most dominate power forwards in NHL history in his prime. Don't see a world where he is a 2nd tier player.

Because he literally only had 2 great year and then mostly a 40-60 point guy. Top 10 in Canucks scoring is not that hard.. ep can literally be top 10 this year and he played 2 COVID shorten season and an injury shortened season so far in his 5 years.

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

a little before my time as a Canucks fan but where did he rank amongst Canucks tough guys? 

Oh man, I just remembered I forgot about Gino. Bump him to the top of my list. 

Butcher was a nasty piece of business.  I got to see him just when I was starting out as a fan but he was tough and stood up for teammates.  Not sure if he'd be my first choice in this thread since Butcher wasn't a #2A/#3 calibre RHD (which is exactly what this team needs), but Butcher was one of my favourites.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Who needs a time machine? I'm sure Bieksa could slot in right now and help our D.

Jim Benning, if he laced up the skates now, might help our D.  He was, in his prime NHL playing days, better than most of the D he acquired not named Hughes after all.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1