If you were to go back in time and bring back prime aged second-tier Canuck to the present so they could play on the current version of the Vancouver Canucks who would it be?

Coconuts

Just now, Odd. said:

Move Miller to wing.

Makes sense after the draw, but Miller is so good at draws, it would be crazy not to have him taking them. But if you have Miller take draws and then play wing, like he used to with Petey, that could be good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Makes sense after the draw, but Miller is so good at draws, it would be crazy not to have him taking them. But if you have Miller take draws and then play wing, like he used to with Petey, that could be good.

Agreed.

Would look something like this:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Mikheyev

Miller-Morrison-Boeser 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

He’s a top tier player in his prime but his prime was way too short for me to put him with naslund he have 2 80+ and 1 70 point season? Something like that and then it’s all 40-60

to be fair, the subject at hand is brining back a prime 2nd tier player, not a subprime 1st tier but I feel like it doesn't matter. Bert was a machine, would love to have him.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

97 points in 2002-03 with 46 goals. In 2001-02, he actually produced at a higher clip than Naslund with 85 points in just 72 games and was on pace for 97 points--Naslund had 90 points in 81 games that year. Big Bert was 1000% a top tier player.

They changed the rules specifically as he couldn't be stopped re:  push-off move in front on the net 

2 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Sami Salo would be my choice. Salo was such an underrated player. Rarely seemed to ever make a mistake out there on the ice.

Basically prime Tanev with a cannon of a slapshot, and tough as nails.  I wince even hearing about a ruptured testicle, but he was able to play a game with one.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'm going to go with Jannik Hansen. What this team needs more then anything is to learn to play as a team and work hard. Hansen optimized hard work and determination and could help lead this time by example. Burr works as well, but I actually don't see him as a 2nd tier player. 

I guess it's subjective, personally I'd probably have Hansen lower than 2nd tier

Tier's are hard, I mostly threw that into the title to try and stop folks from picking the obvious top tier guys like Bure or the Sedin's

It's hard to say where the top tier ends though, because if you look at our historical point leaders there's quite a drop off from the very top, one could argue that many in our top 30 points could be top tier 

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/vancouver-canucks-players-career-nhl-stats.html

But yeah, having a Hansen in our middle six instead of someone like Beauvillier would likely make us a better team imo

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'd take bert assuming he's not in the bure naslund category. Prime bert.. toughness scoring all in one

He's not, but I'd probably still consider him too high tier given he put up 449 points in 518 games, but I suppose that's on me for not making the discussion more clear 

Canucks top tier just isn't as high as some other teams, Bert still fits into our top 10 all-time leading point producers, landing at #9

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Salo, Bieksa, Lidster....take your pick for a RHD

All good choices

1 hour ago, TheWhiskeyPickle said:

Cliff Ronning, Juice, Burr, Mitchell, and Hamhuis in that order 

Also good choices

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

if you want to do 3rd/4th tier as well there's certainly a tough guy we could add in. Heart says Ryp, head says Brashear. 

Ryp is a toughie because of how his story went, who wouldn't want to bring him back?

55 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

How do you define "second-tier"? My first thought is immediately Tanev, but I'm not sure if he counts or if he's top-tier. If not, Salo is a good option too, though worse than Tanev. Fills our need of a top 4 RD quite well. Prime Bieksa could rival Salo for sure, but Salo felt a bit more solid defensively than Juice.

If I had to pick a forward, I'd take Burrows if he doesn't count as top tier.

I'd say Tanev is probably second tier personally, but yeah, should have done a better job mapping out the topic instead of throwing it together 

Top tier forwards is probably easier to map imo whereas I'd say we haven't had as many top tier D historically, we've had some great top 4D over the years but I'm not sure I'd say we've had many tier one D

Hughes is one, Ohlund was there or very close, I wasn't around for guys like Lumme, Lidster, or Kearns but from what I've gathered over the years maybe they'd fit there too? 

Salo, Mitchell, Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, ect would probs be more second tier? 

Idk, you're better at this stuff than I am 

55 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Chris Tanev........with Brad May being my 2nd choice?

How many guys are we allowed to bring back?  

I'd bring back prime Chris Tanev.  

Get that #2A/#3 calibre RHD to play with Hughes so that Hronek can be the alpha of the 2nd pairing with Cole or Soucy.  

Surprisingly, you know who might be my #2 guy?  Prime Brad May.  Good leader and locker room guy, and would provide some much needed grit and toughness up front.  Absolutely no one would take liberties with Pettersson or Hughes.  May day would stick up for his teammates and would also be able to back up his toughness with some decent hockey.  

Just one, it forces someone to run with their top pick 

Tanev is a great choice though 

54 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Maybe title length has been shortened? My 43 word behemoth might go down as the leader.  

It was, a while back 😞 

51 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Willie Mitchell

Kevin Bieksa

Erik Gudbranson

Those three would be a great right side, in that order.

If Mitchell had been an RD he'd likely have been my choice

51 minutes ago, Thrago said:

Probably Willie Mitchell, but I'm going to say Dave Babych cause he was tough as hell and we could use some of that about now.

Could def use a Mitchell

44 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Brendan Morrison for me. Burrows close 2nd.

Morrison would an excellent piece in our current top 6.

I'm not sure where I'd consider BMO as far as tiers go but he's probably second tier, he was a very smart player but he also benefitted from having elite wingers

Could def use a BMO

35 minutes ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

Salo is the only answer.

Salo is our pal'o

22 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

One 2020 bubble Horvat please

Hmm, Horvat is probably top tier given he's in our top 10 all-time scoring 

Which doesn't feel right personally, but I think that speaks more to the Canucks history in comparison to other franchises than anything else

Toughie

13 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

To each their own. In no world do I see Todd as a 2nd tier player personally.

I personally wouldn't either, our top 10 point totals just aren't as high as those of some other franchises

We've only had six players break 500 points ever

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Luc Bourdon so that he's back to life. And gets to live out that potential.

Great post

7 minutes ago, Singing Chef said:

Doug Lidster would be a great right shot D for Quinn Hughes.  Orland Kurtenbach is what this team needs on top 6 to keep everyone accountable - one of the toughest players ever to lace them up but also had good skill.

Good pick

@-AJ-

I'd be curious to see your final list from 2-3 years back, the one we all voted on back on CDC. That was fun. Thread probably still exists. Or has it been longer than 2-3 years? I can't remember. 

I think it was you who put those voting threads together but it may have been someone else. 

It'd be neat to do a CFF vote on top 30 again or something along those lines. 

7 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Also Marin gelinas ,strange how molgilny seems to be forgotten in general.was he not our first 50+ goal scorer?not that he was clutch like adams or gelinas.

HOF forgot about him too

308 points in 312 games as a Canuck

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

@-AJ-

I'd be curious to see your final list from 2-3 years back, the one we all voted on back on CDC. That was fun. Thread probably still exists. Or has it been longer than 2-3 years? I can't remember. 

I think it was you who put those voting threads together but it may have been someone else. 

It'd be neat to do a CFF vote on top 30 again or something along those lines. 

Yeah, I saved the top 50 list I did for our 50th anniversary. I also saved it in Google Docs since I figure CDC will go down eventually.

The List:
#1 - H. Sedin
#2 - D. Sedin
#3 - T. Linden
#4 - P. Bure
#5 - M. Naslund
#6 - S. Smyl
#7 - R. Luongo
#8 - K. McLean
#9 - T. Gradin
#10 - A. Edler
-------------------
#11 - T. Bertuzzi
#12 - M. Ohlund
#13 - R. Brodeur
#14 - A. Burrows
#15 - R. Kesler
#16 - H. Snepsts
#17 - T. Tanti
#18 - A. Mogilny
#19 - J. Lumme
#20 - S. Salo
-------------------
#21 - B. Morrison
#22 - A. Boudrias
#23 - D. Lidster
#24 - K. Bieksa
#25 - C. Ronning
#26 - D. Lever
#27 - D. Kearns
#28 - E. Jovanovski
#29 - P. Sundstrom
#30 - G. Adams
-------------------
#31 - O. Kurtenbach
#32 - P. Skriko
#33 - G. Courtnall
#34 - B. Horvat
#35 - T. Williams
#36 - D. Babych
#37 - G. Odjick
#38 - J. Hansen
#39 - D. Rota
#40 - C. Tanev
-------------------
#41 - G. Butcher
#42 - D. Ververgaert
#43 - D. Hamhuis
#44 - E. Pettersson
#45 - G. Smith
#46 - K. McCarthy
#47 - C. Oddleifson
#48 - R. Lanz
#49 - C. Fraser
#50 - B. Boeser

Honourable Mentions:
- M. Cooke
- I. Larionov
- D. Murzyn
- D. Cloutier
- M. Gelinas
- R. Rypien
- B. Schmautz
- J. Markstrom
- B. Pederson
- I. Boldirev

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I saved the top 50 list I did for our 50th anniversary. I also saved it in Google Docs since I figure CDC will go down eventually.

The List:
#1 - H. Sedin
#2 - D. Sedin
#3 - T. Linden
#4 - P. Bure
#5 - M. Naslund
#6 - S. Smyl
#7 - R. Luongo
#8 - K. McLean
#9 - T. Gradin
#10 - A. Edler
-------------------
#11 - T. Bertuzzi
#12 - M. Ohlund
#13 - R. Brodeur
#14 - A. Burrows
#15 - R. Kesler
#16 - H. Snepsts
#17 - T. Tanti
#18 - A. Mogilny
#19 - J. Lumme
#20 - S. Salo
-------------------
#21 - B. Morrison
#22 - A. Boudrias
#23 - D. Lidster
#24 - K. Bieksa
#25 - C. Ronning
#26 - D. Lever
#27 - D. Kearns
#28 - E. Jovanovski
#29 - P. Sundstrom
#30 - G. Adams
-------------------
#31 - O. Kurtenbach
#32 - P. Skriko
#33 - G. Courtnall
#34 - B. Horvat
#35 - T. Williams
#36 - D. Babych
#37 - G. Odjick
#38 - J. Hansen
#39 - D. Rota
#40 - C. Tanev
-------------------
#41 - G. Butcher
#42 - D. Ververgaert
#43 - D. Hamhuis
#44 - E. Pettersson
#45 - G. Smith
#46 - K. McCarthy
#47 - C. Oddleifson
#48 - R. Lanz
#49 - C. Fraser
#50 - B. Boeser

Honourable Mentions:
- M. Cooke
- I. Larionov
- D. Murzyn
- D. Cloutier
- M. Gelinas
- R. Rypien
- B. Schmautz
- J. Markstrom
- B. Pederson
- I. Boldirev

Bravo, nice to see it again 

We'd def have risers in Petterson, Hughes, Horvat, Miller, and Boeser 

Might see some shifting if we were to do it again but most of the names would probably stick 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Bravo, nice to see it again 

We'd def have risers in Petterson, Hughes, Horvat, Miller, and Boeser 

Might see some shifting if we were to do it again but most of the names would probably stick 

Yeah, it was done at 40 years by Champions of Nothing, on CDC, though he stopped posting years ago. I wish I still had that list, but I can't find it. I do recall that Linden was #1 though I think. I'll do another one at 60 years assuming CFF is still around, but I'm tempted to do another one sooner. They're quite fun for me. Still, I do want to make sure enough time has passed to make the list different enough. Maybe Summer 2025 for 55 years would be enough.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Malholtra... we need our one-eyed 3C PKing faceoff guru back.

Man, Maholtra in his prime would be an envious 1,2,3 punch down the middle. Great for match ups, defensively responsible, penalty kill

and one of the best face off guys in the league.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, it was done at 40 years by Champions of Nothing, on CDC, though he stopped posting years ago. I wish I still had that list, but I can't find it. I do recall that Linden was #1 though I think. I'll do another one at 60 years assuming CFF is still around, but I'm tempted to do another one sooner. They're quite fun for me. Still, I do want to make sure enough time has passed to make the list different enough. Maybe Summer 2025 for 55 years would be enough.

I don't recall the 40 year, though I think I'd have been around 

I enjoyed it, if you were to do another one before the 60th anniversary it'd be neat

Generated some fun discussion 

• Cheers 1