If you were to go back in time and bring back prime aged second-tier Canuck to the present so they could play on the current version of the Vancouver Canucks who would it be?

Coconuts

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Dang you've got me thinking now (plus I'm bored at work on a Friday afternoon)--where would these guys go? Has Demko played enough to make a top 50?

My gut is Horvat goes from #34 up to somewhere around Brodeur, Burrows or Kesler, #13-15.

Pettersson would rise hugely. I remember thinking he was way too high at #44 at the time, but he's probably in the late teens now I'd guess. By the end of the year, he could catch Horvat's points though, so maybe there's a case he should be right there with Horvat.

Hughes didn't make the list since he was in his rookie year, but he's probably the biggest riser. I'm guessing he's in the low 20s for now.

Boeser's the current longest tenured Canuck, but has recently been passed by Petey in points and will probably be passed by Miller soon too. I'd guess he's maybe in the 30s somewhere below Adams and maybe close to Courtnall.

Miller's got over 300 points with the Canucks now and has gotta be pretty close to Petey. A lot of guys in the mid 20s would be pushed down for sure. Nice to see our all-time list get better with the additions of some great players.

Demko is a tricky one. He only became the starter in 2021-22, but his name has some legend status thanks to the 2020 playoffs and a strong 2021-22 season. He's certainly better than Cloutier, but Cloutier has about 25 more wins and almost 40 more games and Cloutier only made the honourable mentions. I think I'd personally place him somewhere in the late 40s, below Gary Smith, but barely making the list.

Horvat will def rise, he'll eventually be passed by guys like Hughes, Miller, Pettersson, and maybe even Boeser but for now I'd have him above them all. Pettersson slightly behind. All four players have better ppg's but they don't have Horvat's tenure as Canucks yet. I'd have Boeser further down right now though. 

I think tenders need larger bodies of work on ranking lists tbh, and Demko just hasn't built that yet. He'd probably rank lower, as you said. 

But yeah, nice to see the all-time numbers being gradually bumped, we haven't had a lot of point producers who've stuck around long enough to break the 5, 6, 700 mark over the years. 

18 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Agree with OP. Salo would be intriguing to add to the mix. Hard to know how his game would translate to the game today, but Salo always struck me as a sublimely intelligent player who happened to have a ridiculous slapshot. Is there any way we could bring him back without the injury proneness?

Salo was super smart, he also seemed to calm the roster when he was in the lineup. Dude was super reliable and a solid two-way D, his only knock was his health. 

15 hours ago, puckstopper said:

No love for Raffi Torres or Maxim Lapierre? Those guys worked their tushies off

for us and we haven't seen a bottom 6 like that in years!

Defence, well i would go with Adrian Aucoin. good defensively and his shot was underrated for sure.

Hated losing him but it got us Dan Cloutier and settled our goaltending graveyard for a bit there!

I liked Raffi while he was here but he probably wouldn't fit in today's game, NHL ran him out of it basically 

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Who on D are off the table?

Expand the no go list. It is only forwards. 

Some D are Kesler value IMO. 

D are tougher because I'd argue we haven't had very many truly top tier D 

I suppose you could throw guys like Ohlund, Jovo, and maybe Lumme up there? You'd be better off asking AJ. 

Canucks just haven't historically had top tier D imo, we've had a lot of great top 4 guys though. 

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

My first thought on seeing the thread title was Ohlund until I remembered he was a lefty... Next thought was Salo. Great minds think alike.

If Mitchell was an RD I'd have probably gone with him, Salo just ticks so many boxes for this group 

• Cheers 1

I have a real soft-spot in my heart for the reliability, solid mental toughness & dependable skills of viking players like Ohlund, Lumme & Salo. Very calm, wise & strong puck-moving & shooting players who played almost error-free & seemed to avoid poor-penalties.  

The Canucks’ defense needs players of their ilk.

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking Cliff Ronning, but he would probably be a tier too high. So I'm going with Alex Burrows. Just love his story. Never drafted. Had to fight his way through the ECHL, just to earn an AHL contract, then finally landed here. Really wish he could have retired a Canuck.

• Upvote 1

Tanti would be nice, scored a lot of goals for us, Ronning or is he too high tier?   Suppose Smyl is out "all-time" great, but what about Mike Peca?  Arguably the second best two-way center we've ever had (of course traded him, but you could see his value right away, hard nosed like Bob Gainey just not fun to play against), and like Konstantinov, could throw monster hits for a guy his size.    Larionov and Mogilny obviously at another level.   For D Babych would sure be awesome, but agree we need a Willie Mitchell type and have been hoping for that, well ever since we didn't re-sign him and we went to LA. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tanti would be nice, scored a lot of goals for us, Ronning or is he too high tier?   Suppose Smyl is out "all-time" great, but what about Mike Peca?  Arguably the second best two-way center we've ever had, and like Konstantinov, could throw monster hits for a guy his size.    Larionov and Mogilny obviously at another level.   For D Babych would sure be awesome, but agree we need a Willie Mitchell type and have been hoping for that, well ever since we didn't re-sign him and we went to LA. 

thats a good player, him and hasek made that buffalo team in 1998/1999 and probably Satan and Zhitnik too

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

thats a good player, him and hasek made that buffalo team in 1998/1999 and probably Satan and Zhitnik too

Liked Mogliny and loved the idea of him even more (Bure and Mogilny on the same team...yikes!!, cup is ours soon), that said Peca was showing very well before the trade and was the better player in the end (Morrison), from age 22 to 29, he won two Selkes, was a finalist, runner up and finished 5th another 3 times.    That's a better stretch than Kesler.    Hart votes to one year.     Sometimes wonder how that team would have done if we just stayed still, instead of bringing Messier in to be the second line center,  just promoted Peca which obviously would have worked.    His style of play chewed him up pretty good.   Peca was a household name in the dead puck era though. 

Edited by IBatch

17 hours ago, Guitarded said:

Gino Odjick or Ed Jovanovski no question.

Thought about Jovo too, but just figured if Ohlund is out of bounds, so is he.   Thing the "etc" from the OP is a tad blurry.   Mogilny, Larionov, Luongo probably lead the list of guys not mentioned, Naslund and Bertuzzi too.  Burrows and Bieksa are low hanging fruit.   Mitchell is too.    Odjick actually is a great call.   Love to see the change in moxy and mojo on this team with him added to our 4th line instead of practically anyone the past decade or so.   Nurse would be crapping his pants, Deslarius and Reaves would groan just thinking about playing us.    Knowing a guy is willing to take a suspension responding to even a clean hit...well it does something to a teams morale. 

Even guys like Reinhardt and Lidster not sure if they are out of bounds.   Ronning sure would solve our center depth.    Personally, would pick someone who's just as if not better in the playoffs.    Babych would be impossible to handle, and had playoff penache and moxy, his PGP, went up in the playoffs for us, that's not the norm.   Ronning, Larionov also has killer series that get lost in history, every bit as good as "Kesler beast mode" against Nashville. 

Diduck Babych, we're our match up pairing...Agree with Biestra, if Babcyh made his mediocre at best 80's teams a lot better, IF he played on EDM instead, would have over 1000 points and be in the HHOF.    Even after he left us, playing on a broken foot, made PHI a better team and part of their run to the final.    Timely goals.   And still the only Canuck D, with a hat trick.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, viking mama said:

I have a real soft-spot in my heart for the reliability, solid mental toughness & dependable skills of viking players like Ohlund, Lumme & Salo. Very calm, wise & strong puck-moving & shooting players who played almost error-free & seemed to avoid poor-penalties.  

The Canucks’ defense needs players of their ilk.

Lumme was all of that.   Ohlund not quite as skilled (IMO), but more than made up for it in crushing hits and physicality.    Think both those guys are out of bounds, just a tier too high.   Not sure who would pick Edler as the better player, if you're picking Edler, not sure you watched much of Lumme or Ohlund,  Edler wasn't on a top pairing when we had other options, just the best of what was left, not that he wasn't good of course he was.     Lumme also had good D's to compete with during his time as a Canuck, and was our first pairing for almost a decade.    Lumme and Ohlund are the only D's in club history, that were first pairing (PK and PP) for around a decade, and didn't do it on default.   Jovo should have been in that mix too. 

Lumme played as a top four D, right until he retired at 37.   Would have been nice to see what he could have managed, even one year without a redline and obstruction/holding.    Considering he played the entire dead puck era in his late prime to retirement, is a testament to how good he was.   Only a minus player 4 times, and a couple of those were really bad years/teams.    Not sure why other D's don't use his PK, clock ticking slow long bomb, probably because it's hard to do under pressure.   Lumme was one of the best D's we've ever had, at relieving pressure in our zone.    Could also long bomb it 5 x 5 in a way that it either became a pass (Bure) or slow enough to not be called for icing.   Signature move.  

Edit: Will add, Ohlund like QHs', stepped right in.   Very rare.   Without his eye injury, believe it's possible his number would be retired.   And he'd have been considered, a top five D-man in the league most of his career.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

I'd definitely go defense. Any one of Bieksa, Salo, Ohlund, Tanev, Hamhuis, Mitchel would look great on our blueline, but because I feel like the team could use some more grit, I'm leaning towards prime Juice. 

Would add Lidster, Lumme, Babych and Aucion to the mix.   Butcher and Snepsts?   Probably too slow for todays game.   

Edited by IBatch

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

Lumme was all of that.   Ohlund not quite as skilled (IMO), but more than made up for it in crushing hits and physicality.    Think both those guys are out of bounds, just a tier too high.   Not sure who would pick Edler as the better player, if you're picking Edler, not sure you watched much of Lumme or Ohlund,  Edler wasn't on a top pairing when we had other options, just the best of what was left, not that he wasn't good of course he was.     Lumme also had good D's to compete with during his time as a Canuck, and was our first pairing for almost a decade.    Lumme and Ohlund are the only D's in club history, that were first pairing (PK and PP) for around a decade, and didn't do it on default.   Jovo should have been in that mix too. 

Lumme played as a top four D, right until he retired at 37.   Would have been nice to see what he could have managed, even one year without a redline and obstruction/holding.    Considering he played the entire dead puck era in his late prime to retirement, is a testament to how good he was.   Only a minus player 4 times, and a couple of those were really bad years/teams.    Not sure why other D's don't use his PK, clock ticking slow long bomb, probably because it's hard to do under pressure.   Lumme was one of the best D's we've ever had, at relieving pressure in our zone.    Could also long bomb it 5 x 5 in a way that it either became a pass (Bure) or slow enough to not be called for icing.   Signature move.  

Edit: Will add, Ohlund like QHs', stepped right in.   Very rare.   Without his eye injury, believe it's possible his number would be retired.   And he'd have been considered, a top five D-man in the league most of his career.   

I actually have an Edler jersey, bought last day before a local sports shop went out of business. 

I kind of thought he was jinxed. Played responsibly, but had some of his biggest gaffes at the most in opportune or costliest times, like on series-ending goals against. He’s just not on par with the afore mentioned three of…Ohlund, Lumme, or Salo. They sacrificed hard, but the league clipped or curtailed Edler’s courage hard, whenever he showed more jam or played with a a hard-nosed edge. He’d be over-suspended for something borderline, that any eastern O-6 player might skate away from with little or no perceived foul. It was all in the way that the DPS was composed, mostly of So-Cal legacy players & a lot of representation from divisional rivals. Gillis’ chief-rival & nemesis,  Brian Burke, has primarily had  influences all over this committee, since it’s’ inception. Burke even got his woefully under-qualified son, posted there! This department was touted to be a group of seasoned veteran players & peers with loads of in-game-playing mileage for the necessary situational experience to draw upon, and the respect that this word afford all of their assessments & decisions. But after a decade or more of loyalty to one or maybe two franchises, these appointees have found it difficult if not impossible to turn one’s back upon upon their former teams’ interests. Burke has even received consulting or managerial fees paid to him from almost every franchise that lists members upon the DPS.

Vancouver was virtually  black/balled by Burke & his other league head-office chums, ever since the Aquilinis did that end-run around the Gaglardi-group to purchase the Canucks. They very quickly hired Mike Gillis as their GM & fired Burke’s BFF, Dave Nonis. As we all know, vindictiveness has been Burkie’s  ultimate claim to fame. He has even half-jokingly stated, that he expects his kids to carry on with his feuds after his death.

^This was the kind of league bias & suppression Edler operated  under as player, during his prime.  He may have become a very different player, despite his more quiet demeanour, with a little more allowable tenacity & grit, like the other Canucks defensemen,  previously mentioned. They were much freer to mentor & model such things,…before some  unscrupulous league machinations got involved.

Edler spent a better part of a decade getting ALL sorts of mixed messages from coaches & the league alike. He never really found the perfect or consistent edge to play upon. All of that second guessing, caused a rise in his gaffes, IMO….plus his back issues, which were well-documented, likely added to the hesitancy & a little more tentative play, at times, too.

Edler was the victim of circumstances, but I still love & wear his jersey #23, for him…& for its’ salute to Daniel#22 Henrik#33! What a time & era of Canucks Hockey he was a part of here! Cheers to him for that! 

Edited by viking mama