[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Florida Panthers, Oct 21 at 7PM EDT - The Flying OEL Game

Rocket-68

What Should Management do with the Flying Giraffe  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What Should Management do with the Flying Giraffe

• Weld him up inside the nearest locker until the season ends
    • Trade him for a dented spit bucket if you have do, just get rid of him
    • Play him in sheltered minutes until the TDL and then flog him off for what may come
    • Send him down to the ECHL / AHL and at least have a bit of cap space and bring up Hirose (or some other likely candidate) for the duration of the season
    • ... Insert alternate choice in comments ...

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Benning sucked at building a defense. His fault, and everyone knew it was a horrible trade as soon as it happened except Benning. Just tells you how poorly his thinking was. Hurt this franchise quite a bit. Win now has to stop. If it isn't your time it isn't your time. Look how much longer we have to wait to become contenders with thinking like that. 

I blame Benning for the trade but current management did not have to buy him out either. There was other options. I stand by that. I like a lot moves new management has made. Unfortunately this buyout ain’t it 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

I blame Benning for the trade but current management did not have to buy him out either. There was other options. I stand by that. I like a lot moves new management has made. Unfortunately this buyout ain’t it 

I don't know. So they should have kept him? We have to watch a player who looks old and slow and doesn't impact the game make that much money? Just have him on the team? It really was a no win situation but the Canucks for some reason love to put themselves in those situations.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I don't know. So they should have kept him? We have to watch a player who looks old and slow and doesn't impact the game make that much money? Just have him on the team? It really was a no win situation but the Canucks for some reason love to put themselves in those situations.

Definitely. He was way better his first year. Not 100% his second season here. And even if they decided a buyout, it was a much better option in a year or 2. Moving Myers and or Garland even if we had to add seemed like a way better option then the gross cap hits coming up in these coming years 

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

Also not sure why Hoglander is a scratch. Honestly should be Beau 

Ya, there is a dedication to players Allvin acquired. Almost to prove Beau was a good move. Problem with a player like him, it's a player we have so many of. I am not sure why they have targeted so many of similar type players? Why not size and grit in the top 6?  

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Definitely. He was way better his first year. Not 100% his second season here. And even if they decided a buyout, it was a much better option in a year or 2. Moving Myers and or Garland even if we had to add seemed like a way better option then the gross cap hits coming up in these coming years 

Ugly situation all the way around either way. Depressing really. We saw and knew it was bad right away, the former regime didn't. Fans who don't make trades knew it was bad. Just sad.

33 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Hoping to see a new player or two in the lineup. Is Mik back? Any chance Hirose gets in? I’m really pulling for him, I think he could be a great D-man one day. And I do think McWard deserves a shot, there’s no way he’s worse than Myers!

Hirose and McWard played last night in Abbotsford and are playing again tonight I believe. 

It was never about "win now" or "make the playoffs or else."

It was about icing a competitive product to continue drawing fans, eyeballs, advertisers, ie. Money for the duration of the rebuild. That was an ownership decision, not Linden and not Benning. And most everything which followed was a product of that underlying decision. 

Here's former Canucks AGM Chris Gear talking about those years and why the organization did what they did starting back when Hank and Danny were still here:

15 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Look how much longer we have to wait to become contenders with thinking like that. 

You have the premise right. Just mostly pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Garland was the best forward against Tampa after the entire JT line who had a hell of a game. 

He gets rewarded by getting sent to the 4th line. 

Some team like Winnipeg is going to make out like bandits and get Garly for pennies on the dollar, but I think it's best for team and player to move on. 

1 minute ago, Canuckle said:

It was about icing a competitive product to continue drawing fans, eyeballs, advertisers, ie. Money for the duration of the rebuild. That was an ownership decision, not Linden and not Benning. And most everything which followed was a product of that underlying decision. 

Here's former Canucks AGM Chris Gear talking about those years and why the organization did what they did starting back when Hank and Danny were still here:

You have the premise right. Just mostly pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

Oh, trust me, they are the main issue but Benning should have been able to look at that OEL move and said no. It's horrible.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

No one has any cap room.

Earliest any players get moved will be the trade deadline.

And I'm betting Beau and Myers just walk at the end of the season. Unless something changes.

Ya that too but we are likely losing a trade than acquiring anything. Benning era still hurting us.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Benning sucked at building a defense. His fault, and everyone knew it was a horrible trade as soon as it happened except Benning. Just tells you how poorly his thinking was. Hurt this franchise quite a bit. Win now has to stop. If it isn't your time it isn't your time. Look how much longer we have to wait to become contenders with thinking and trades like that. All these move to date from Allvin just feel like movement that doesn't accomplish much in terms of on defense. What's really needed is an impact dman but we don't have anything to trade that people want. Such a dilemma right now.

Which is bizzare considering Benning is an ex-defenceman. So you'd think he'd know what kind of defenceman to look for....Oh well.

11 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

The three guys with an axe to grind line......

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Seriously. Myers not only is playing but he is slotted in the top 4 again? Wtf!

You are basically telling me we have no one that can replace him? Come on man. There is no way.

Worse case, put an orange pylon to the right of Dem and that will serve as a better defender than this clown!

IMG_5463.jpeg

• Like 1