[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Florida Panthers, Oct 21 at 7PM EDT - The Flying OEL Game

Rocket-68

What Should Management do with the Flying Giraffe  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What Should Management do with the Flying Giraffe

• Weld him up inside the nearest locker until the season ends
    • Trade him for a dented spit bucket if you have do, just get rid of him
    • Play him in sheltered minutes until the TDL and then flog him off for what may come
    • Send him down to the ECHL / AHL and at least have a bit of cap space and bring up Hirose (or some other likely candidate) for the duration of the season
    • ... Insert alternate choice in comments ...

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Hoglander has one of his best games and still gets scratched. That’s not accountability.

Garland or Beau should be out. Hell even Kuzmenko, Joshua and PDG need to bring a lot more.

Insane to bump Hoglander with the way he's been playing. Sends the wrong message to the player for sure.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Amazing GDT! Honestly, you put so much time and effort in and it's really nice to have some hockey history infused in. Well done.

Love game days...especially weekends. 

We didn't play badly last game, I'm expecting a win. (But aren't I always?)

Let's go Canucks!!!

Happy Miller

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Oh, trust me, they are the main issue but Benning should have been able to look at that OEL move and said no. It's horrible.

The thing is with that mandate hanging over head, rebuilding while trying to stay competitive, how do you even judge any of the trades, signings, etc. etc as being independent decisions.

We all know what a rebuild is supposed to be vs. what they did. But you "follow what instructions you're given" as Chris Gear so eloquently put it. Apparently Linden said no and look what happened to him. And if Jim said no they'd have fired him and found someone else to do what they wanted anyway.

I'm not even saying this or that trade was good or bad or anything else. Obviously damn near all of them ran counter to an actual "rebuild" and could be viewed in a negative light on those terms.

But I am saying it's important to keep in mind the constraints and barriers to Jim and co. actually being able to do the job we all wanted them to do. Mostly of case idealism vs realism when you break it down. But... business is business.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

[OEL] was supposed to come back healthy and play for us this year.

100%. Even his agent said the exit interviews were good and everyone expected him back and to bounce back. OELs first year in Van was actually pretty good... obv not 7 million good but he played well. No reason to believe he couldn't do it again once he was healthy again.

But... when you can't trade guys to make the space you need to improve the team due to the flat cap... what choice do you have.  Buy-out.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

The thing is with that mandate hanging over head, rebuilding while trying to stay competitive, how do you even judge any of the trades, signings, etc. etc as being independent decisions.

We all know what a rebuild is supposed to be vs. what they did. But you "follow what instructions you're given" as Chris Gear so eloquently put it. Apparently Linden said no and look what happened to him. And if Jim said no they'd have fired him and found someone else to do what they wanted anyway.

I'm not even saying this or that trade was good or bad or anything else. Obviously damn near all of them ran counter to an actual "rebuild" and could be viewed in a negative light on those terms.

But I am saying it's important to keep in mind the constraints and barriers to Jim and co. actually being able to do the job we all wanted them to do. Mostly of case idealism vs realism when you break it down. But... business is business.

But, Travis and before him (this guy) Could only be seen as Benning's handy work. / To this day. Or 

willie-desjardins.jpg

18 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Yes, it's hard when you have impatient owners. That's when you need strong individuals who aren't afraid to stick up for what's right. Which I think they have now. 

Hoglander being scratched is surprising. Thought he was playing well.

I agree Beauvillier isn’t doing much lately.  Thought he was really skating well to start the year but he looks a bit lost recently.  

Ah well. Minor stuff in the big picture - just need a better team effort tonight.  

You just know OEL is going to pot one, too. 

On another note, I like the decision to go with DeSmith.  Some early discipline with Demko’s starts is a must - and a good sign.

Edited by The Duke

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Hoglander being scratched is surprising. Thought he was playing well.

I agree Beauvillier isn’t doing much lately.  Thought he was really skating well to start the year but he looks a bit lost recently.  

Ah well. Minor stuff in the big picture - just need a better team effort tonight.  

You just know OEL is going to pot one, too. 

On another note, I like the decision to go with DeSmith.  Some early discipline with Demko’s starts is a must - and a good sign.

Nah, Desmith starts because Demko refuses to play in front of OEL and Myers due to PTSD

43 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

But, Travis and before him (this guy) Could only be seen as Benning's handy work. / To this day. Or 

willie-desjardins.jpg

I don't have a problem with either of those choices tbh.

Greener is a good coach. Players loved him. Hell, Luke Schenn said one of the biggest reasons he came to Vancouver was to work specifically with Green.

After taking a bit of time away, Green interviewed and was apparently a front runner for the Florida Panthers coaching gig before they settled on Paul Maurice. And he's working for the Devils now so people around the league obviously think he's got good things to offer. Not to mention he and Tocchet are like best buds and coach in very similar ways. And I wholeheartedly agreed with Tocc when he said "Travis Green is a good coach and shouldn't have been fired." Equal parts backing his buddy and speaking truth to Greens ability as a coach in the league.

Willie D looked promising given his impressive resume before joining the National league. All his work in junior leagues, and in 2009 he was even Assistant coach of Team Canada's World Junior Gold medal team with Pat Quinn. Later coached the Dallas Stars, LA Kings...

The outcome in Van was obviously less than desired, but he was still worth a shot I think. Looks like he's back in the WHL now, head coach and general manager of the Medicine Hat Tigers.  Who knows it he'll ever be back. Wouldn't be surprised if he is though.

Edited by Canuckle

57 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes, it's hard when you have impatient owners. That's when you need strong individuals who aren't afraid to stick up for what's right. Which I think they have now. 

"Strong individuals" is a bit of the wrong way to look at it imo. Its mostly a product of top down business structure. I mean when was the last time you said no to something your boss told you to do? Do what I want or find another job is what happens. Truth is it didn't really matter who was in the hot seat at that time the outcome would be the same.  Here's our plan. Do it or I'll find someone who will.

As for the new regime, the team itself is at a different place now though too.. Last regime did all the heavy lifting drafting and trading for the big core pieces but I don't think Aqua would dare pull that crap on Rutherford anyway. For what meddling there was previously I agree it's now a thing of the past.

Owners weren't as much "impatient" as they were looking out for their bottomline imo. As Chris Gear stated in that interview. It was never some "playoffs or else" mandate  but rather a matter of "fans being able to see competitive hockey and not getting shelled 6-1 every night."  Driving away viewership and therefore money was never something they were willing to do. I mean we can be upset about that, but keep in mind nhl  hockey is a business afterall. And that's something I think many overlook when looking at the totality of the  shitshow that was the "rebuild" in Vancouver.

Edited by Canuckle

7 minutes ago, Crimson JH said:

This is for all who is think Petey is having a bad game against Tampa..IMG_1562.thumb.jpeg.babde88b53aca28bfcb2569477034e80.jpeg

While the points are nice, he’s been noticeably struggling the last 2 games. Petey looks like he’s second guessing himself again which we know can be his own worst enemy. Just needs to relax a little, shoot the puck more, and play on instinct. 

If Petey can turn it on, nobody will be talking about Jack fucking Hughes

Just now, Odd. said:

While the points are nice, he’s been noticeably struggling the last 2 games. Petey looks like he’s second guessing himself again which we know can be his own worst enemy. Just needs to relax a little, shoot the puck more, and play on instinct. 

If Petey can turn it on, nobody will be talking about Jack fucking Hughes

He's also playing hurt. That's part of the issue.