[Article] ‘Mistakes upon mistakes’: Jannik Hansen slams Tyler Myers’ performance against Lightning

RWJC

IMO he needs to get scratched until he has his head in the game.  Must have a screw loose to make such blunders.
IMO waive Juulsen and hope he gets picked up, bring up either Hirose or Wolanin and pair the successful LHD with Cole on the 2nd pair.  Myers' defense isn't even worth $600k at this point, much less $6 million.  

• Like 2

Allvin has done a lot to improve the defense but it's pretty clear that he has more to do.  The thing with having an underperforming $6M RD who is getting older is that there's not a lot you can do to help your situation other than retaining 50%.  I'm afraid the best thing they can do is to play out the string with Myers.  At that point, they're still going to need a 4RD and the replacement in the system is 18 and playing in the SHL.  Willander is probably at least 2 years away and he should absolutely not be rushed.

It's really frustrating where the Canucks are sitting 10 years after a rebuild should have begun.  I hope that the management group has the guts to stand up to ownership and continue to do the right things.   

9 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

I remember this imo torts is/was a bitch. Hansen was playing just fine.

Torts wanted mild/mannered Hansen to become an absolute animal & to Hansen’s credit - he DID ramp it up! However, Tortorella’s bad-cop routine was relentless with Hansen. Torts is  like that,…with the ones who don’t  snarl-back at him, they become  his favourite whipping boys.

Like Babcock failing to launch in Columbus, I’m glad that head-game playing narcissist went away quickly from VanCity, too. Luongo’s non-start benching in the Heritage Classic in VAN was the ultimate a—hole power-trip! Talk about twisting, testing & tormenting your star-player & your dressing room!

Lu was one of the biggest components of our team’s heritage, amassing the stats to prove it. Fans pretty much demanded to see that Luongo be given the opportunity to showcase himself in Heritage Classic game,…freshly motivated from a stint at the Winter Olympics, too.  Any “Heritage Classic” game is supposed to be a gift to the local fans ….or a grifting money-maker, perhaps! It was only feasible through the tickets purchased by long-suffering fans celebrating heritage teams & players, past & present. Good grief, the optics that day were so bad,…sitting down the team’s all-time best goal-tender! Torts didn't  give a damn about the fans, players, or anyone’s feelings…he was just following his own ruthless agenda for core-busting! 

I hope Tocchet is a far more honest & sincere as a coach….like Pat Quinn, perhaps. I hope he manages to get the best out of his players, in more decent ways. Can’t whip dead horses back to life. Bag skates on the road, during flu season…really?! That’s Tortorella’s MO - then he had the nerve to skip afternoon practices & leisurely drive-off to Point Roberts! 

Players rise through mutual respect & ultimately self-respect, as opposed to being repeatedly agitated by the threats being applied by a supreme bully. 

If a veteran player repeatedly fails to rise to the occasion, just cut him loose with gratitude, wish him well & leave him with an opportunity to have a little bit of say in his own fate, at the end. That’s how I’d like to see things handled by management & the coaching staff, in regards to Tyler Myers! 

Edited by viking mama

Myers is just brutal. If he plays more than 10 minutes he usually puts the game in jeopardy. Against Tampa he cost us 3 goals. 

I don’t understand why the Canucks insist on playing him. Their best chance to win is with Myers in the press box. I wonder if management is trying to play him to shop him? But in this case, I’d have to think that less is more… because the more he plays the lower his trade value goes. 

Myers has always been a Jekyll and Hyde player, some nights looking like an AHLer and some nights looking like a top pair Dman. Unfortunately we're getting a lot less Jekyll and a lot more Hyde lately. I'm willing to give him a pass for his first few years here, but last year and so far this year he's been brutal. I don't know what the answer is but I feel like we need to do something quick. We have a lot riding on this season. 

lol there are a lot of bigger problem than Myers on this team right now.. sure Myers bad plays cost us a few goals here and there.. but we have been badly outplayed for long stretches of the last 4 games including the 3rd period against Florida.. so are we going to blame the team being badly outplayed because Myers was dressed? Myers is a problem but not the only problem nor the biggest problem atm

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2023 at 10:53 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

I loved Hansen as a player but he needs to STFU.  

What's the point of ragging on a guy that's already feeling down?  (Myers).  

Positive reinforcement + positive encouragement.  Let's help these guys when they're feeling down in the dumps.  

The amount of pressure that players in a Canadian market face is just insane......and it does the player absolutely no favours when everyone in the city is slamming the guy.   BTW, I'm not a huge fan of Thomas Drance but even Drancer pointed out that Myers' underlying numbers and stats were much better than that game indicated.  

Give guys like Myers and Garland a f'cking break for Christ sakes.  

Keep all the negative shit to 2022/2023.........because being so negative last season worked so well for us right?   Jesus......

Hansen doesn't owe anything to the Canucks or Myers. Myers, management, and coaching needs to be called out until we get rid of that bum or bench him.

Normally I agree the Vancouver media is toxic and full of idiots. They should be supporting the team not continually piling on like petulant children (Drance). However, this is different. Myers is atrocious and Hansen is a former player with the required background to do the calling out. Can't wait until next year when the mistake Giraffe is far far away. It's near impossible to expect much winning when you're trotting out rubbish like that every night.

On 10/21/2023 at 10:10 AM, -dlc- said:

Although I tend to agree with you and really want to shed the negativity (my God, the JT stuff was painful), players also aren't immune from it. You have to have a thick outer skin, especially playing in a market like Vancouver.

Many Canucks have been put through a bit of a grinder at times...and they've done just fine. It's a matter of using criticism to be better...not wallowing in it or being defensive. Which I'm not suggesting Myers is doing.

I like him and am pulling for him to get past this stuff. He's not all bad but at a time when we really need to generate some wins/points so things don't start to slide again, he's not helping with that. And needs to.

Sure, everyone has moments and everyone makes mistakes...but his are stringing together and that's concerning. He has to focus better...the dogpile on Petey could;'ve actually hurt him! 

Honey badger calls it like he sees it and I do respect that. Everyone on the team has to be accountable and we count on Myers as a top (?) defender. Let's hope he gathers himself and gets it together to become more of an asset rather than a liability.

Fans here will not accept another huge hole that puts us out of contention. And we're nervous when losses start accumulating...nip it in the bud. Yes, even me....the biggest homer. Not only does the team deserve a playoff run, the fans really do. And good and bad habits have to be addressed early on, not when there's a final push to try to get there. Myers is doing some boneheaded stuff and so it's hard not to notice.

Hansen is not paid to be a mime on the radio, his job is to give his honest opinion, and I think he did it as delicately and respectful as he could (without ranting)

For instance, had he tried to sugar coat it (with everyone knowing Meyers is a vet and not a rookie) and said something else, he would have lost all credibility to his honest opinion that we like to hear and for that how can anyone take issue with it (Meyers included)