[PGT] Canucks @ Panthers Oct 21

Jess

17 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Free editing for you from Thinks He Is Funny guy.

They are both good players and Tocchet has them working their butts off, but they're just not getting it done.

Let's rotate some thugs through the holes they'd leave in the lineup.

They both just need top 6 time somewhere else. 

8 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It’s been 5 games, he’s a + 2 with a goal and an assist.

His mistakes are loud but the overall impact isn’t nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.  Drance is bang on that his worst games were also brutal overall team games that he’s taking the goat horns on. 

Zero chance he’s traded - he’s either valuable to the team and we’ll keep him or has zero value and no one will want him.  May as well buckle up and get used to him for the year.

I'm definitely NOT holding him accountable for a horrid team effort. But for anyone who's really paying attention, which there many, including Hansen, guys on Sportsnet, too many other places to mention, he's been a gong show. 

As far as trading him, you don't know. If anything, it will be close to the TDL or not at all. 

Edited by Barn Burner
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Excellent, grounded non-emotional take. I have full confidence in Myers with Foote and Gonchar to minimize Myers's mistakes as the season unfolds. Get the blunders over with early to tighten up at the right time (hopefully). 

I don't

Myers is going to be 34yrs old in a couple of months. If anything he'll get worse. 

• ThereItIs 1

55 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I know Myers has struggled out of the gate (with visible mistakes, even if his underlying numbers are pretty good) and got his ice time reigned in tonight… but I can’t see us trading him this year.  

Big, durable RHD don’t grow on trees and if we go Hronek - Bear - Friedman (or even throw in Fabbro) that’s super small for a bit of cap space for half a season.

I’d rather let Foote and Tocchet work with Myers.. unless we wheel something for Peeke who gives us at least one rightie with some size.

Not to mention he’s a beast in the post season. Shelter him during season play but I think he’s an asset in the playoffs.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I'm definitely NOT holding him accountable for a horrid team effort. But for anyone who's really paying attention, which there many, including Hansen, guys on Sportsnet, too many other places to mention, he's been a gong show. 

As far as trading him, you don't know. If anything, it will be close to the TDL or not at all. 

Sure.

I’m not saying he’s been good so far - he’s made mistakes and those mistakes have ended up in our net.  Part of that is some bad luck, though.  Our goaltending has bailed out quite a few mistakes so far.

His overall flow of play hasn’t been as bad as those mistakes, either.   Plus, he plays a premium position that’s our biggest weak spot and the guys below him on the depth chart have struggled as well. 

He’s got a lot more rope with me before I’m in the “we’re better off without him” camp. And in any case, it’s the last year of his deal.  If he pulls it together maybe we bring him back at a bargain - he loves Vancouver.  If he’s well an truly washed up, this is the swan song for another long necked animal.

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Not sure Beau has any value right now tbh. We'll have to retain to move him.

Garly won't get top 6 time here anymore so he wants a chance to do that somewhere, which is totally fair.

It sounds like it will be hard to move him without retaining but we'll see. I hope it's just a straight trade for d help

This would be my cutoff.  

Garland for a 2nd round pick, nothing retained.  That's the baseline in value for me.  

Garland for a mediocre RHD straight up would also work.  No retention.  

Now, let's say that a team that's gonna go into a rebuild next year has a right-handed defensman that's under 26 and can play 2nd line minutes.  In that case, I would retain on Garland and throw in a 1st round pick this year if the RHD is on Hronek level.  

I do hope that we exercise patience and wait until the summer to move Garland.  We aren't winning the cup this year, I already feel a bit guilty about buying out OEL, paying to shed Pearson, and paying for Lafferty...  although a 5th round pick is insignificant compared to Laff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

You know the team won when the PGT only has 11 pages. 👀

Nice to have Mik back. Got Kuzy going. Nice to be getting wins from our backup. Helps in the long run.

Ain’t that the truth. I avoid a PGT after a loss. Usually sleep on it and check it out in the morning. This way I avoid the trolls. Come morning time my urge to kill after a loss subsides and I can use a better well rested mind to digest the bull shit that’s flung about 😑

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Edge Case said:

Bieska was just messin’ …

I don't think so. He's mispronounced it the same way a couple times before.

I think someone just needs to let him know he's butchering it and he'll start saying it right

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Ain’t that the truth. I avoid a PGT after a loss. Usually sleep on it and check it out in the morning. This way I avoid the trolls. Come morning time my urge to kill after a loss subsides and I can use a better well rested mind to digest the bull shit that’s flung about 😑

I have a similar routine, although it varies with the game times.

And I do not mean the digesting flung about shit part, I mean the sleep on it part.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Amen to that! Nice to know others feel the same about PGTs after a loss. 

• Cheers 3

35 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Sure.

I’m not saying he’s been good so far - he’s made mistakes and those mistakes have ended up in our net.  Part of that is some bad luck, though.  Our goaltending has bailed out quite a few mistakes so far.

His overall flow of play hasn’t been as bad as those mistakes, either.   Plus, he plays a premium position that’s our biggest weak spot and the guys below him on the depth chart have struggled as well. 

He’s got a lot more rope with me before I’m in the “we’re better off without him” camp. And in any case, it’s the last year of his deal.  If he pulls it together maybe we bring him back at a bargain - he loves Vancouver.  If he’s well an truly washed up, this is the swan song for another long necked animal.

I just wish he would do his job properly. No one's perfect, but... 

• Cheers 3

its finally nice to have two good goalies  i agree...

poor edmonton... The Gm had no one want to play for him and had to pretend Campbell was a starter, justifying his 5 million dollar salary. we got deSmith who is likely way more consistent for 5x less price tag...

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, BPA said:

Myers at $6M needs to be better than getting sheltered minutes.  He needs to be able to log big minutes for that kind of pay.  Otherwise Hughes and Hronek are gonna burn out logging 25+ min a night.

maybe when we play dallas we can put myers in one of those oversized shipping boxes and wrap it up and leave it in the dallas locker room just dye his hair Brown and put one of those fake beards on him. Then abduct Hakinpaa, die his hair blonde and shave his beard, we can keep him quiet with some delicious Lusikkaleivat 

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly. Agree. He's a change the culture type of guy with high compete, a degree of fearlessness we need. Not afraid to sacrifice. That's why he made the team. We're seeing more of those guys.

If only people could not freak out with every loss. 😉

I’m with you on that. Some start melting down every time a goal is scored against us. It’s so exhausting.

It’s hockey ffs. Sometimes the bounces don’t go your way, sometimes the team doesn’t have it’s legs. Just the way it goes.

• Cheers 1

With how soft our schedule is to start, hopefully we win 3 of the next 4 games. Or at least pick up points in 3 of the next 4. We have a two days off before Nashville, then 2 days off before a back to back in St Louis and New York, before another 2 days off going into another Nashville tussle. That's a lot of days off. Even with the back to back there's no real tough part of the schedule when we have two days off before and after the back to back. Going from a Central to Eastern team is a tad weird. But I am also not super familiar with US geography. For all I know they are pretty close.

I know it's weird to be looking at the standings this early, but again. Soft schedule and the Oilers and Kraken are off to rough starts. Would go a long way to starting the season strong by having a really good October and capitalizing on all these rest days and pulling away from the teams expected to be better than us. Couple ugly Ls, but shake it off with a nice lil streak here to end October. Make a believer out of me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1