[PGT] Canucks @ Panthers Oct 21

Jess

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Sure.

I’m not saying he’s been good so far - he’s made mistakes and those mistakes have ended up in our net.  Part of that is some bad luck, though.  Our goaltending has bailed out quite a few mistakes so far.

His overall flow of play hasn’t been as bad as those mistakes, either.   Plus, he plays a premium position that’s our biggest weak spot and the guys below him on the depth chart have struggled as well. 

He’s got a lot more rope with me before I’m in the “we’re better off without him” camp. And in any case, it’s the last year of his deal.  If he pulls it together maybe we bring him back at a bargain - he loves Vancouver.  If he’s well an truly washed up, this is the swan song for another long necked animal.

Myers would be more respected by our fan  base if he didn’t come with the big cap hit and if he dropped the mittens occasionally to stand up for his teammates. A Luke Schenn replacement. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Steamer4GM said:

PVR'd the game so way behind but have to agree with much of the analysis as posted here by others.

DeSmith will earn us a nice handful of backup game points by season's end that we've been lacking in recent years

Hughes is insanely gifted, a blast to watch and we're damn lucky to have him locked up long term and focused on winning

Still lots of 'Staples' that need to be tightened up and adhered to for 60 minutes but I believe much of the good play we saw tonight is the result of the coaching squad, systems and guys really buying in to what RT's preaching

Would be great to get Bleuger back and another piece if a deal gets done for Garly as both could go a long ways towards filling existing line / pairing gaps that would really solidify us top to bottom

Myers mistakes would be much reduced and impactful with less minutes. I agree he has value in the lineup and would be stoked for him, the team and us if coaches could find a way to get the best of him and eliminate/reduce the worst. Sergei "Giraffe Whisperer" Gonchar has a nice ring to it

Nothing insane like a heart transplant but some pretty big surgery for me Tuesday morning so very much looking forward to dragging my ass home in one piece afterwards and enjoying another big win to end this road trip!

Go Canucks GO!!!

Good luck on Tuesday. Hopefully you’ll be up in time to catch the game.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Thanks for not posting the score on the PGT title. 👍

I always try to avoid it for others who want to watch the game and happen to see the PGT.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Myers would be more respected by our fan  base if he didn’t come with the big cap hit and if he dropped the mittens occasionally to stand up for his teammates. A Luke Schenn replacement. 

I'm so happy that his contract is going to be up this off-season. Thank God

Cap hit is so bad, it's crippled this team. Myers wasn't worth 6M the day he was given that contract by Benning, and he's still not worth it today. 

The team will be better without him. Question is, who's going to replace him when he's gone? 

7 minutes ago, DelPiLeo said:

The backhand no-look pass from Kuz on the third goal was beauty. And his patience on the winning goal just showed how good a goal scorer he is.

Yeah, when does his contract end? Next season right? 

Hope management gives him a 4-5 year deal. I think he's worth it, and he can probably be productive until he's 33-34. Probably won't score 30 goals at that age, but I think he can still score 15-18 goals? Maybe he can make a decent middle winger by that time. 

37 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

With how soft our schedule is to start, hopefully we win 3 of the next 4 games. Or at least pick up points in 3 of the next 4. We have a two days off before Nashville, then 2 days off before a back to back in St Louis and New York, before another 2 days off going into another Nashville tussle. That's a lot of days off. Even with the back to back there's no real tough part of the schedule when we have two days off before and after the back to back. Going from a Central to Eastern team is a tad weird. But I am also not super familiar with US geography. For all I know they are pretty close.

I know it's weird to be looking at the standings this early, but again. Soft schedule and the Oilers and Kraken are off to rough starts. Would go a long way to starting the season strong by having a really good October and capitalizing on all these rest days and pulling away from the teams expected to be better than us. Couple ugly Ls, but shake it off with a nice lil streak here to end October. Make a believer out of me.

I don’t know about soft schedules… Canucks seem to choke on soft.

3 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

Thanks for reminding me.  Jrke Lumme was a stud! 

When he decided to go, he would stand up straight and tall, and deke his way through everybody and had a good shot too. 

And always a great team guy, positive, thoughtful, happy, back you up, etc. 

Another Scandinavian that took a lot of punishment from North American players, stood up to it all, and even laid a few guys out. 

Do not Rest In Peace Don "Chicken Swedes" Cherry.

I know, Lumme is a Finn. Cherry painted all Europeans with the same brush. 

Unless they were Bruins, but I forgive him for being a homer for them, especially when he was Coaching #4 Bobby Orr!

Jrkke had the weirdest up right stance skating in. Like he was sitting in a chair. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

I don’t have a crystal ball to say how Myers’ year will play out but looking back I know with 100% certainty this media/fanbase loves to run perfectly serviceable players out of town.  

Like, it’s already done.  The wet blanket think tank has spoken and everyone is playing “spot the mistake” with him.

It's only 5 games, maybe he's over exuberant and trying to do too much. If the coaches can quiet him down he may settle into a serviceable 3rd pairing.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dankmemes187 said:

maybe when we play dallas we can put myers in one of those oversized shipping boxes and wrap it up and leave it in the dallas locker room just dye his hair Brown and put one of those fake beards on him. Then abduct Hakinpaa, die his hair blonde and shave his beard, we can keep him quiet with some delicious Lusikkaleivat 

Nobody's Gonna know. They're gonna know!

MyersHakinpaa.thumb.jpg.61621e1108034ae50d0f7b2149706403.jpg

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

With how soft our schedule is to start, hopefully we win 3 of the next 4 games. Or at least pick up points in 3 of the next 4. We have a two days off before Nashville, then 2 days off before a back to back in St Louis and New York, before another 2 days off going into another Nashville tussle. That's a lot of days off. Even with the back to back there's no real tough part of the schedule when we have two days off before and after the back to back. Going from a Central to Eastern team is a tad weird. But I am also not super familiar with US geography. For all I know they are pretty close.

I know it's weird to be looking at the standings this early, but again. Soft schedule and the Oilers and Kraken are off to rough starts. Would go a long way to starting the season strong by having a really good October and capitalizing on all these rest days and pulling away from the teams expected to be better than us. Couple ugly Ls, but shake it off with a nice lil streak here to end October. Make a believer out of me.

Soft and soft....

home opener against Soilers followed by 5 game road trip against Soilers and both florida teams...

I know, no back to back games, but I wouldn't call it soft ?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Too early in the season for tank memes, after all we know how it plays out in the end. 

The tank represents strength… As in Popeye’s biceps… The Canucks showed their strength…

That was what Popeye would say when he was surprised… I was expecting a loss

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Soft and soft....

home opener against Soilers followed by 5 game road trip against Soilers and both florida teams...

I mean, it's pretty chill. Oilers suck, playing in Florida for back to back games. Chill. Philly was supposed to suck. With all these days off they should have fresh legs every game. So, yeah. It's a soft schedule.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Soft and soft....

the only tough game is the oilers tbh.. tampa have 2 ahl goalie journeymen that probably don't even have 30 games nhl experience combined and florida is missing like half their defence.. couldn't be gifted a better time to play those 2 teams.. it's not soft but it's one of the easier schedule you can ask for to start the season..

today is a great win.. but once again it's very concerning.. when the good teams turn it up a notch.. we have no respond and unable to match.. the 3rd period it was almost inevitable florida was going to tie the game.. not sure if it was they decided to sit on the lead.. or we simply have no answers.. i pick the latter coz it seems whenever another team step it up a notch we seem to be running around and on the ropes.

• Vintage 1