[PGT] Canucks @ Panthers Oct 21

Jess

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's what a road game is, especially against a good team like Fla.  I can't imagine why anyone would be anything but thrilled by that game

Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy they got the win, bc that's one of the signs of a good team: winning games you shouldn't have. It's just that the overall feel of the game made me really nervous. I though the Panthers were way more dangerous around the net, and the Canucks got a bit lucky with some of their goals. Like that Soucy goal, that was a horrendous PP, they couldn't even enter the offensive zone for the first 1:30 mins, but scored out of nowhere in the last 2 secs.

I guess I just feel more comfortable with wins like the home opener against the Oilers lol

Edited by Rubik

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

That truly is an amazing stat. Remember the problem of "how do they find the right partner for Quinn?" It's early in this year's campaign, but just maybe

they got it.  That is a big; \/

It’s great to see Hughes - Hronek seriously tilting the ice, like they should.  It’s a reason I thought Tocchet would go that direction.

However, the “split them up” crowd gets some ammunition from these stats as well.  We really are putting all the eggs in one basket.  Especially with Myers struggling and (imo) no other RHD really playing at a solid NHL level. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

That was a great night for the special Teams at one point we were up 3-1 and the PK was 2 for 2 and the PP was 2 for 2.

That will win a lot of games.2 goals from the D men on the power play last night. They had 2 goals from D men on the power play all last year. The dynamic of moving everyone around on the PP is really a treat to watch. You never know where everyone is going to be and they cant just sit on Petey waiting for the Canucks to try the one timer.

Being out shot huge when we get a lead isnt a good formula for success though.I am not sure where the legs went especially in the third i think they said shots were 17-2 at one point? You cant sit back on leads especially in another teams barn. You dont have to take chances but allowing the game to come to you is a disaster in waiting.

I thought The D looked a lot better and the less Chaos Giraffe has to play the better he seems to be.  Soucy had moments. Friedman looked better this game than last. Cole seems to be a steadying influence out there. Hughes is other worldly.Honestly he controls the game when he is out there. Norris trophy type play so far. If the points keep coming he will be in the discussion.

DeSmith is a major upgrade on Martin and if he keeps playing like that we really dont need Demko to play more than  50 games. He will stay fresh and be more ready for the playoffs.

It looks like Kuz has come out of his shell now with Mik back. We can use his contributions. Scoring hasnt been much of an issue despite being shut out in Philly. Its not a bad start. If we can win in Nashville we got thru the 5 game trip with 6 points and really .600 on the road would be a big improvement over last year.

Theres some good things happening here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy they got the win, bc that's one of the signs of a good team: winning games you shouldn't have. It's just that the overall feel of the game made me really nervous. I though the Panthers were way more dangerous around the net, and the Canucks got a bit lucky with some of their goals. Like that Soucy goal, that was a horrendous PP, they couldn't even enter the offensive zone for the first 1:30 mins, but scored out of nowhere in the last 2 secs.

I guess I just feel more comfortable with wins like the home opener against the Oilers lol

At least you're keeping your bar realistic?

😜

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Really hard fought game, not quite playoff level hitting or intensity but close, stick battles were tough, very even game both ways. Both special teams were solid and top end skill prevails in the end.

Petey, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev weren't great to be honest, but of course when you've got top end skill like that all you need is one or two chances to break a game open and they did. Hope they can start getting some chemistry by playing together loads now. Just like how Matthews or Ovi float around and then strike out of nowhere, Kuzmenko comes up with two beautiful skill plays. He doesn't forecheck too well, defends averagely but boy is his offensive IQ off the charts - a bit like Boeser.

Miller's line was very solid, Boeser had some good and bad moments but it's the unsung hero who's turning into a bit of an MVP - PDG - who single handedly wins this game out of nowhere. We're getting shelled, like 17 shots to 2, momentum shifts to the Panthers at home in the 3rd period, and Rick throws out PDG by himself, wins a puck battle against OEL and takes on 3 Panthers when he has no right to and somehow sets up Kuz for the winner. That is the play of the game if not week and should be rolled at training over and over. If we have Mikheyev playing like that then we've got a dangerous top 6. We need to get Garland and Beauvillier playing like that. Seems like such a little thing but that was an immense play against the run of play.

Our bottom 6 were pretty average, nothing great, nothing horrendous. Studnicka and Joshua looked good at times but again, nothing amazing.

On defence, it was an interesting game. Quinn had one of his most impactful games as a Canuck, even with just 1 goal/point, he is on another level. This is how McDavid looks when he's skating rings around people and Hughes is quickly becoming McDavid-like on defence. He's one or two gears ahead of everyone else. Loading him up with Hronek may be a bit unnecessary but they played 25 minutes each and just dominated offensively and even defensively (although you could argue Hughes missed his man on that one goal).

Cole has a big task then to help out Myers, and they looked ugly on the Barkov goal but otherwise were pretty solid. Myers is just such an aggressive defensive defenceman so when he does rush the forward, it either is a great play or dreadful one, but he got 1 wrong and about 4 right. 

DeSmith was solid again but to be honest it doesn't matter who we throw out there in net, as long as we have Clarke we'll get a good goalie performance. Bit a bit too hard on the Barkov goal and that Reinhart shot went right through him which you'd like to think Demko would have had.

All in all a very solid game from both teams, lots of back and forth, we shouldn't have let up a 2 goal lead but a lot of teams do nowadays so it's not too shocking, the bigger thing is winning it back.

They're just getting warmed up, soon they'll be breaking ankles dancing around opposition.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dankmemes187 said:

maybe when we play dallas we can put myers in one of those oversized shipping boxes and wrap it up and leave it in the dallas locker room just dye his hair Brown and put one of those fake beards on him. Then abduct Hakinpaa, die his hair blonde and shave his beard, we can keep him quiet with some delicious Lusikkaleivat 

Tie Hakinpaa to a chair. And shine a bright light on his face "Your name is Myers....your name is Myers..."

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

Myers is not soft. Myers is an asset to this team. Probably not worth the money, but an asset nonetheless. 

"Can be".

He isn't soft but he also doesn't use his size as much/well as he could. I'm hoping that changes.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

He isn't soft but he also doesn't use his size as much/well as he could. I'm hoping that changes.

Sadly if Myers hasn't put it together in the past 4 seasons with the 'Nucks then I would hazard a guess he won't be much different this season. There are flashes now and then where I throw my beer right out the window screaming "why can't you play every shift like that one or at least 1 out of 2 ... but alas "old dog" / "new tricks"  is a quote that comes to mind.

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

Myers is not soft. Myers is an asset to this team. Probably not worth the money, but an asset nonetheless. 

Click bait reactionary post? 

Most of us say otherwise. He doesn’t use that body of his other than doing his constant snow angels on the ice. He is a big guy who is very soft. 

As for being an asset? Really? The guy has been responsible for unforced errors leading to regular goals against. Giveaways and improper on ice positioning are regular things with this clown. Extremely low hockey IQ. 

He is not an asset whatsoever. He is a complete detriment to the team. Anyone in the minors not named Juulsen would serve the team better than this disaster.

8 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

With how soft our schedule is to start, hopefully we win 3 of the next 4 games. Or at least pick up points in 3 of the next 4. We have a two days off before Nashville, then 2 days off before a back to back in St Louis and New York, before another 2 days off going into another Nashville tussle. That's a lot of days off. Even with the back to back there's no real tough part of the schedule when we have two days off before and after the back to back. Going from a Central to Eastern team is a tad weird. But I am also not super familiar with US geography. For all I know they are pretty close.

I know it's weird to be looking at the standings this early, but again. Soft schedule and the Oilers and Kraken are off to rough starts. Would go a long way to starting the season strong by having a really good October and capitalizing on all these rest days and pulling away from the teams expected to be better than us. Couple ugly Ls, but shake it off with a nice lil streak here to end October. Make a believer out of me.

There is no such a thing as soft schedule because of your biological clock is set at PST and it takes a week to adjust to the EST and once you come back, your set the clock again.  Once you take a flight, you need a day or two to be able to recover, no matter how many time zone you cross.   It's a lot easier to adjust from EST to PST because you are given three hours and your body wakes up earlier for a few days.   It is often that they comes out flat first game back home.   2 days off helps but 3 days off will be even better.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

his patience on that goal was insane. 

I'm really starting to like PDG. He knows what his role is and he's working hard. He's never going to reach Burrows level but he's a good fit for now. 

If we can just add another "Mikheyev" to the 2nd line and bump PDG down to the more appropriate 3rd line.... We'll REALLY be cooking!

51 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It’s great to see Hughes - Hronek seriously tilting the ice, like they should.  It’s a reason I thought Tocchet would go that direction.

However, the “split them up” crowd gets some ammunition from these stats as well.  We really are putting all the eggs in one basket.  Especially with Myers struggling and (imo) no other RHD really playing at a solid NHL level. 

Yup. It's always going to be better to be able to have one of Hughes or Hronek out there on seperate, solid pairs for ~45-50 minutes a game vs having both out there at the same time for ~25. They can still be put together situationally... But 45-50 minutes with legit game changers on the ice is always going to win. We desperately need even just a competent partner for Hughes. It would be MASSIVE for the team. Getting a legit #2 would just be all the better.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Really confidence-inspiring game ! They looked back on the form of the opening 2 games, and against a really good Florida team, got a great away win. 

It's easy to trash the negative people, and i personally don't like that attitude however, After the past 10 years, and last 3 especially its tough to not feel a foreboding sense of 'here we go again' every time they, collapse, don't show up, blow a lead, go on a loosing streak etc. A lot of PTSD that needs healing by the current group, and its performances like this which might help us to get there, and out of this 'sky is falling / plan the parade' loop ( tho its doubtful 😄

Lots of people made tons of good points already, PDG - He belongs, Hughes = Elite, Hughes + Hronk FTW, 'Goalie controversy ;)'  etc. So try to add a few tangential thoughts of my own that isn't just retreading that ground : 

1. The petey-line looked elite again, I'm struggling to decide weather its Petey's form, the return of Myky, or the type of opposition and how they play them ?  Special call out to Kuz, as i did give him a hard time after last game, and i think he looked back to his best against the Panters. Maybe he has a problem with Garland - That's a nice little drancer controversy insighter lol 

2. Interesting to see the reality of all the people telling us the OEL was in prime Norris form again with the Panthers, when in reality he looked the same as he did with us. Tidy and useful at times, disinterested, unathletic and weak at others. Forsling on the other hand... Huge mistake that trade. Not that he is a huge game changer, but a useful piece at the cap hit and whoever thought concrete feet Clendening was going to be a useful NHL's needs a good firing ( which i hope they got ) 

3. Miller's line has been consistently dangerous and mostly dominant. Brock is playing his best hockey since his rookie year, and J.T has really committed and improved as an around player. I did raise a bit of an eyebrow at management prioritizing him over Bo - but on this kinda form, it was absolutely the correct decision, he is doubling Horvats points thus far. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

"Can be".

Yeah, but he also seems to be unfairly punished when he does.

Not saying at all that his penalties are all undeserved (we all know he gets caught flatfooted, etc.), but how often has he been punished only because he is bigger than the guy he hits.

That's why we need him in the playoffs, where those calls should be rarer.

It will be interesting to see what PA will do with his 6m in cap next year

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mikeyman109 said:

That was a great night for the special Teams at one point we were up 3-1 and the PK was 2 for 2 and the PP was 2 for 2.

That will win a lot of games.2 goals from the D men on the power play last night. They had 2 goals from D men on the power play all last year. The dynamic of moving everyone around on the PP is really a treat to watch. You never know where everyone is going to be and they cant just sit on Petey waiting for the Canucks to try the one timer.

Being out shot huge when we get a lead isnt a good formula for success though.I am not sure where the legs went especially in the third i think they said shots were 17-2 at one point? You cant sit back on leads especially in another teams barn. You dont have to take chances but allowing the game to come to you is a disaster in waiting.

I thought The D looked a lot better and the less Chaos Giraffe has to play the better he seems to be.  Soucy had moments. Friedman looked better this game than last. Cole seems to be a steadying influence out there. Hughes is other worldly.Honestly he controls the game when he is out there. Norris trophy type play so far. If the points keep coming he will be in the discussion.

DeSmith is a major upgrade on Martin and if he keeps playing like that we really dont need Demko to play more than  50 games. He will stay fresh and be more ready for the playoffs.

It looks like Kuz has come out of his shell now with Mik back. We can use his contributions. Scoring hasnt been much of an issue despite being shut out in Philly. Its not a bad start. If we can win in Nashville we got thru the 5 game trip with 6 points and really .600 on the road would be a big improvement over last year.

Theres some good things happening here.

It can't be understated how good the special teams have been. If the Canucks can keep up the effective special teams play I think they have a shot of making the playoffs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, but he also seems to be unfairly punished when he does.

Not saying at all that his penalties are all undeserved (we all know he gets caught flatfooted, etc.), but how often has he been punished only because he is bigger than the guy he hits.

That's why we need him in the playoffs, where those calls should be rarer.

It will be interesting to see what PA will do with his 6m in cap next year

Maybe once or twice a year. The rest are because he processes the game too slowly. 

59 minutes ago, MightyCPC said:

I mean you just used the text book definition of liability to describe Myers. Which is the opposite of Asset 😂