[PGT] Canucks @ Panthers Oct 21

Jess

Just now, JamesB said:

Edler was always well-respected here. He lost a step late in his career, but he is one the top D-men ever to play for the Canucks. He is the Canuck career leader in pts. for a D-man.  A lot of people, including me, were sorry that he was not re-signed.

I don't think there is any comparison beween Edler and Myers.  Edler did take some criticism at times, but Myers has taken a lot more, and he deserves it.

No he was not well respected around here. And it was BS. I’m with Crossbar on this one. But I’m not comparing the 2. Myers f’n sucks. Edler was actually good. Outside of taking to many penalties imo. But I clearly remember fans calling for Edlers head. Truth is. Our teams just sucked 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Edler used to be ragged on very similarly to how Myers gets it.  Too slow.  Not physical enough.  Both played tough minutes on bad teams.  I don’t think anyone really cared when Edler moved on.

Myers has been less consistent and Edler is the better player - but looking at career stats I don’t think it’s as lopsided as people make it out to be.  Myers did well with both a healthy OEL and, ironically, Edler.

Myers got the gears for his contract and association with Benning as well.  An early target of the rebuild enthusiasts.  Never got a fair shake.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Amazing stats for Quinn Hughes / Sorry. Captain Quinn Hughes!

he's been amazing for sure so far but i'm not sure what he's basing those ranks on coz he's ranked 73 for CF% 12th for defenceman for GF% 89th for SCF%?? this is filtered by players with 3+ games?? so i'm not sure where he get the rank 2 from?

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Edler was always well-respected here. He lost a step late in his career, but he is one the top D-men ever to play for the Canucks. He is the Canuck career leader in pts. for a D-man.  A lot of people, including me, were sorry that he was not re-signed.

I don't think there is any comparison beween Edler and Myers.  Edler did take some criticism at times, but Myers has taken a lot more, and he deserves it.

James, come on. Edler was the biggest whipping boy on CDC for quite a while. Especially his last couple years with the Canucks. There was no respect when he was making mistakes, costing us games. 

I was in here every day witnessing the backlash. I certainly don't forget that. I can even remember specific posters who went on and on about Edler in the same way.

I'm not defending Myers, he's been brutal, but the backlash was indeed very similar to Edler.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Devron said:

Edler was unfairly a whipping boy. His last few years here he was more of a 2nd/3rd defencemen. He was forced to be the no.1 guy but also was never a problem. He needed to be surrounded by better. Him and Tanev were on an island 

Well he kept putting the puck in our net!!! 😅

Edited by MightyCPC

15 minutes ago, Devron said:

No he was not well respected around here. And it was BS. I’m with Crossbar on this one. But I’m not comparing the 2. Myers f’n sucks. Edler was actually good. Outside of taking to many penalties imo. But I clearly remember fans calling for Edlers head. Truth is. Our teams just sucked 

Thanks for the clarification. I'm really just talking about the backlash and not level of talent between two.

Although I would even say Myers - arguably, in some respect - hasn't been any worse than Edler was in his last couple years. 

It's interesting because given all the Myers backlash, one can look back and wonder if Edler was indeed as bad as people were saying. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Tusk said:

What bothered me the most about this game was it was a CBC "Hockey Night in Canada" game but only available on sports net Pacific. If CBC has their LABEL on the game, it should at least be Streamed on CBC Gem.

why would it be on cbc? Toronto have priority on CBC and if multiple games are on at he same time during saturday then anyone not toronto is pushed to sportsnet only

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Thanks for the clarification. I'm really just talking about the backlash and not level of talent between two.

Although I would even say Myers - arguably, in some respect - hasn't been any worse than Edler was in his last couple years. 

It's interesting because given all the Myers backlash, one can look back and wonder if Edler was indeed as bad as people were saying. 

I think it’s pretty clear that we didn’t know what we had in the Elder-Tanev top pairing during those particularly dark times.

The narrative on both that it was time to move on and they weren’t doing much for us.  In reality they were holding down the PK and soaking up very difficult minutes.

The big takeaway for me is that it’s very difficult to judge defensemen on bad teams.   Obviously true elite players like Hughes will rise above it but your 2nd/3rd pair quality guys will look terrible.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The Edler backlash was similar to Myers. 

I don't think Edler's backlash was ever like Myers.

What Edler needed was a young, fast, RHD that could take care of defence, and the offensive side of things, and just let Edler work on being a solid defenceman.

Even a bad day for Edler ,I can't remember almost everyone freaking out, like Myers giraffe gaffes do.

31 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Edler used to be ragged on very similarly to how Myers gets it.  Too slow.  Not physical enough.  Both played tough minutes on bad teams.  I don’t think anyone really cared when Edler moved on.

Myers has been less consistent and Edler is the better player - but looking at career stats I don’t think it’s as lopsided as people make it out to be.  Myers did well with both a healthy OEL and, ironically, Edler.

Myers got the gears for his contract and association with Benning as well.  An early target of the rebuild enthusiasts.  Never got a fair shake.

Thanks for breaking that down. Edler was definitely the better defenseman but I've been thinking this week that you could argue Myers isn't any worse than Edler was those last couple years. I'm really mentioning Edler for some perspective given how strong the reaction has been to Myers this past week.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I think it’s pretty clear that we didn’t know what we had in the Elder-Tanev top pairing during those particularly dark times.

The narrative on both that it was time to move on and they weren’t doing much for us.  In reality they were holding down the PK and soaking up very difficult minutes.

The big takeaway for me is that it’s very difficult to judge defensemen on bad teams.   Obviously true elite players like Hughes will rise above it but your 2nd/3rd pair quality guys will look terrible.

Couldn't agree more. Both were/are at similar stages in their careers with us and both had/have become liabilities. But like you say, they were holding down other aspects of our game. 

I just find it really interesting when looking back to the reaction we had to Edler, Weber, Sbisa, and on and on. It's all very similar. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't think Edler's backlash was ever like Myers.

What Edler needed was a young, fast, RHD that could take care of defence, and the offensive side of things, and just let Edler work on being a solid defenceman.

Even a bad day for Edler ,I can't remember almost everyone freaking out, like Myers giraffe gaffes do.

The Edler backlash was very real in a very similar fashion. I'm not the only one who remembers and it wasn't that long ago. I know Myers is there here and now but it is similar to Edler, who was indeed costing us games and making similar mistakes. 

20 minutes ago, Devron said:

11 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

James, come on. Edler was the biggest whipping boy on CDC for quite a while. Especially his last couple years with the Canucks. There was no respect when he was making mistakes, costing us games. 

I was in here every day witnessing the backlash. I certainly don't forget that. I can even remember specific posters who went on and on about Edler in the same way.

I'm not defending Myers, he's been brutal, but the backlash was indeed very similar to Edler.

Okay, guys. It is no surprise that we have different recollections because we tend to focus of different things. I probably just tuned out a lot of criticism of Edler that other people paid attention to.

I am reacting more to the media. Even when Edler took criticism from the media, I think he was generally treated with respect as in "has had a great career but is past his prime" or "has lost a step" or "can no longer play a physical game consistently" etc.

I guess I am also reacting partly to my own opinion. Edler "won" the green jacket in 2013-14 (worst plus-minus in the league), playing a shut-down role on a terrible team. But I was very impressed that he was able to re-invent his game and go on to have a number of good seasons after that.  And when he signed with the Kings he was +18 with 19 pts in 41 games (in 2021-22 at age 35). He was very good value for the Kings.

I think the media has been much more critical of Myers. And I think even the more balanced people on CDC (CFF?) have been very critical of Myers and were less critical of Edler.

I am not trying to disagree with anyone else's recollection. Obviously other people remember a lot of negativity about Edler. Most of my negativity in those years was focused on Benning.

• Cheers 3

Edler was fine for first few years but he tried too much when don't have much going on our team.  Edler was sheltered in a deep team so we don't really notice much until he became a top pairing.  However his record was better when he is playing than without while injured.    If he had more defenseman around him, he would have been a better suited on 2nd pairing role than a top pairing for his whole career.   My biggest gripe about his game is not passing to right players that could have been a difference maker while on PP.  He kind of force his way when it wasn't there.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

True about Edler overall being better.

But Eldler's last couple years here - in here - were very similar to the Myers backlash.  Let's not forget that. 

True, Edler was on the decline last few seasons here. But never as bad as Myers has been last year and this year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I can confirm, I was a big time Edler basher. Although I feel like I got more pushback than agreement for my opinions of Edler's blunders. So I dunno just how highly of a whipping boy he actually was. The crap Edler got doesn't really come close to the crap Myers gets.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Duke said:

It’s great to see Hughes - Hronek seriously tilting the ice, like they should.  It’s a reason I thought Tocchet would go that direction.

However, the “split them up” crowd gets some ammunition from these stats as well.  We really are putting all the eggs in one basket.  Especially with Myers struggling and (imo) no other RHD really playing at a solid NHL level. 

I like Hronek too but I think he's wasted being paired with Hughes.  Honestly I think Hughes would be just as dominant playing with Cole or Friedman.  As long as Quinn is the guy with the puck Hronek will be underutilized.  Hronek with Soucy would be a great 2nd pairing and Hronek will be given a chance to show more of his skill.  The only hiccup is Tocchet doesn't like playing left handed shot D's on the right side.  Even though Cole has won cups on the right side.  If Tocchet can get past that brain lock that would solve a lot of problems with balance on the Blueline. A top 6 I'd like Tocchet to give a chance is 

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Friedman

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I can confirm, I was a big time Edler basher. Although I feel like I got more pushback than agreement for my opinions of Edler's blunders. So I dunno just how highly of a whipping boy he actually was. The crap Edler got doesn't really come close to the crap Myers gets.

I get that people have more love Edler but it was the same. Same degree, day after day. Edler was a massive whipping boy. 

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I like Hronek too but I think he's wasted being paired with Hughes.  Honestly I think Hughes would be just as dominant playing with Cole or Friedman.  As long as Quinn is the guy with the puck Hronek will be underutilized.  Hronek with Soucy would be a great 2nd pairing and Hronek will be given a chance to show more of his skill.  The only hiccup is Tocchet doesn't like playing left handed shot D's on the right side.  Even though Cole has won cups on the right side.  If Tocchet can get past that brain lock that would solve a lot of problems with balance on the Blueline. A top 6 I'd like Tocchet to give a chance is 

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Friedman

Before the season this is where I was leaning as well.  

Will be interesting to see how it all tracks out, as we’ve seen a bit of a blender here early on. 

• Cheers 2