[PGT] Canucks @ Panthers Oct 21

Jess

14 hours ago, Grinch said:

My wife who never watches hockey came into the room yesterday during the game and asked why FLA was Florida and why it wasn’t FLO 

been bugging me ever since 

Call me a nerd (and I'll agree) but I looked it up:

The official postal abbreviation for Florida is FL, and it's been that way since October 1963. It was only FLA for a few months in 1963; it was Fla. from at least 1874 to 1963. There are several other state abbreviations that take the first and last letters of the state name, rather than the first two or three letters.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

The official postal abbreviation for Florida is FL, and it's been that way since October 1963. It was only FLA for a few months in 1963; it was Fla. from at least 1874 to 1963. There are several other state abbreviations that take the first and last letters of the state name, rather than the first two or three letters.

nerds GIF

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Grinch said:

My wife who never watches hockey came into the room yesterday during the game and asked why FLA was Florida and why it wasn’t FLO 

What about Arizona? Why is it ARZ and not ARI? or WIN instead of WPG? MON instead of MTL....

35 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Wait til we play Calgary, that'll really blow her mind.

28 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I was going to have the same response as stawns.  But it is a little quirky, when you look at all the NHL 3 letter abbreviations. There is no rhyme or reason.

Some use the first three letters of the city:   VAN, ANA, BUF, OTT. 

Some use other letters in the city name usually the last one, but not necessarily.  WSH, MTL, FLA.

I can see that for some teams to avoid confusion like WSH becoming WAS.

But what struck me was why do some teams include the actual team name and some do not.  Teams with their name in it like NYR, CBJ, NJD. 

We could be VCR or VRC depending if we wanted Canucks in there or not.

But VAN? This could be why we've never won a Cup here.

28 minutes ago, kilgore said:

But what struck me was why do some teams include the actual team name and some do not.  Teams with their name in it like NYR, CBJ, NJD. 

We could be VCR or VRC depending if we wanted Canucks in there or not.

But VAN? This could be why we've never won a Cup here.

I can only come up with a nerdy answer in the form of a question.  What else could they have done for the final letter?  Especially in NY where there is also a NYI?

I also ask myself, what the hell did I start here?

You just may be on to something as to why we have no cup wins (yet).

• ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

There's probably some who are eating a lot of crow! 

Now all we need to do is clone these guys, time 3. 

Silly hypothetical question. If we really had 3 Hughes and 3 Hroneks, what would you put our Stanley Cup odds at?

24 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Silly hypothetical question. If we really had 3 Hughes and 3 Hroneks, what would you put our Stanley Cup odds at?

Based on those stats, so far, it would have to be really solid. 

However, as much as they've been amazing, not allowing any 5-on-5 goals, I would always want to have some bigger, tougher, stay at home D, to blend in with those two. 

12 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Based on those stats, so far, it would have to be really solid. 

However, as much as they've been amazing, not allowing any 5-on-5 goals, I would always want to have some bigger, tougher, stay at home D, to blend in with those two. 

We could also clone Myers 😁

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Grinch said:

OK going to bring out the big guns here.

There is a scientific methodology behind this.

If you use FLo  to complete a phoenetic word you have to add a few sylables.
if you use FLa  you can just insert a d in between and then it becomes FLda  hence florida

Using the first one you have to insert FLo-duh

duh.....so simple everyone should get it.

Go Canucks Go!

Yes my entire post was a pile of malarkey, hope it made someone either scratch thier head or laugh.

• Confused 1