[Article] Canucks' Elias Pettersson: 'I play to win'

RWJC

I'm not concerned and players will say things as leverage. I mean, this is a big deal for him so of course he's going to be careful in what he says and does.

I want Petey to really understand that he is a difference maker and has to be part of this, not "move to" this:

but I also want to play for a team that’s winning and has a chance to go far into the playoffs every year,

So it starts with him and if we're not winning I know that he'll also look to what part he's playing in that. Accountability. He's always shown this but that's something huge...JT is a guy who believed in this roster and feels he can help get us there. That's the mentality. 

If Petey "tires" of this team and the lack of success, he may very well move on. But that could be a mistake. Patience is required as you work out the kinks, which this team is doing. Head coaches are a big part of that and we have a pretty solid staff behind the benches.

You can pick a team that has a chance but there are no guarantees. Every team has a chance until they don't. If this team stays healthy, gets firing on all cylinders, gets half decent reffing (a big ask), gets solid goaltending....we should be there. Of course, our d has been an issue...but Quinn's leading the charge and that gives us a huge boost.

I get "contenders" and upping the odds but if Petey wants to go, that's something we can't stop. But I feel he'd be making a mistake...Demko, Quinn, Miller, Kuz...all players he'd be taking a pass on. The brotherhood he's establishing here would be reset....the bar would be set incredibly high and he'd shoulder a whole lot of responsibility with a whole new spotlight shone on him. He doesn't appear to really love the spotlight but it sure would be amplified, at least at first.

Just go about your business here, Petey. With a team and fans that love you. Lead with your brain/heart...and don't let ego overshadow things. (I have full confidence he will...he's got it in check from what we've seen).

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, that's a fair argument, but we just saw Matthews do it 

Pettersson not having signed at this point indicates he's willing to bet on himself to me, I wouldn't be remotely shocked if he only took say.. a four year deal 

Sure but AM has already earned 52 million. Petey about 15 according to capfriendly and TO offered more than anyone else likely could.

I would be surprised if he walked from a total 96-100 mil offer. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sure but AM has already earned 52 million. Petey about 15 according to capfriendly and TO offered more than anyone else likely could.

I suppose you’re right. And if he ever became dissatisfied he could ask for a trade further down the road and would likely also have control of that then with the inevitable N-MTC he’d be given with any extension 

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't interested in a seven or eight year deal. Why lock in at 11.5-12.5Mx8 when you can take say.. 12Mx4 or 12Mx5 and then cash in again with the cap having risen further and have the UFA option? Pettersson seems like the kind of person who'd bet on himself. 

Canucks will be very fortunate if he agrees to anything super long term. 

I'd argue that the Canucks haven't done enough during his Canucks tenure to earn any sort of discount imo, and top tier players rarely take discounts. 

Matthews has shown that it's much more lucrative to sign 5 year deals. Would not surprise me to see more 20 year olds opt for shorter term deals. At least the super stars.

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

I suppose you’re right. And if he ever became dissatisfied he could ask for a trade further down the road and would likely also have control of that then with the inevitable N-MTC he’d be given with any extension 

I mean I'm just guessing like all of us. 100 mil is a lot to turn away from tho. I mean its 67 million if you're bought out for gods sake. 

I do have to wonder tho, if Allvin pushes all the chips in soon on an offer and Petey won't agree... does he move him when there's an RFA year left? is there a team that could give us a fair return? Letting Petey walk to UFA would be a disaster. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Indeed, imagine a team like Chicago swoops in and promises him whatever he wants? Bedard and Petey together would be a disgusting 1-2 punch.

worse case scenario for us. Local kid in a Hawks jersey, and then our franchise player also signs with them. ugh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Would rebuild completely. Or else we will be in the middle for eternity. 

So we trade away our core guys for picks and deep dive for 3-5 years in hopes of drafting new core guys who are as good as the guys we traded away? 
We have an elite core. And they are young. We will continue to retool the supporting cast. The “moran” is gone and we are seeing much improvement since. 

On 10/22/2023 at 4:21 AM, IBatch said:

We will see how much money plays into it versus "playing on a winning team" soon enough.    Vancouver isn't in the best bargaining position other than having that extra year.    Can't remember when a big name player the last half decade or so, didn't take the biggest deal net tax wise, when it comes to legacy deals.    We'd probably have to offer 12 x 8 to keep him.   Which is too bad.   

If he hits 100 points again Canucks fans should be thrilled if it only takes 12Mx8 to keep him imo. Top players get top contracts, that's the way it's always been.

22 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I wouldn't be, it works like this. If Pettersson takes say.. 12M+ for 4-5 years he's cashing in on a medium term deal, but even if he doesn't maintain an 100 point pace going forward he'd likely at least get 12M again on his next deal due to a rising cap. He doesn't really lose by taking a medium term length deal unless one assumes he's going to just completely drop off, which doesn't seem likely. 

Sure, there's always the risk of injury, but taking a shorter term deal also allows him to potentially move on if the Canucks at a level he's happy with, or if he wants a change.

I'm not fearmongering Elias's next contract, bottom line is he's simply got the team by the balls. What's the team going to do, not pay him and trade him? It's not as if they're likely to land a top end 1C via UFA. If they plan on contending any time soon they need Pettersson and they know it. The Canucks aren't likely to win a trade that involves moving Pettersson if the goal is to contend. 

19 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Matthews has shown that it's much more lucrative to sign 5 year deals. Would not surprise me to see more 20 year olds opt for shorter term deals. At least the super stars.

Wouldn't surprise me to see players bet on themselves that way, a rising cap will result in top players getting paid more regardless, top players always end up eating most of cap increases. A rising cap doesn't give teams more cap space in the sense that some folks would like, it just means that what players ask for rises along with it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

If he hits 100 points again Canucks fans should be thrilled if it only takes 12Mx8 to keep him imo. Top players get top contracts, that's the way it's always been.

I wouldn't be, it works like this. If Pettersson takes say.. 12M+ for 4-5 years he's cashing in on a medium term deal, but even if he doesn't maintain an 100 point pace going forward he'd likely at least get 12M again on his next deal due to a rising cap. He doesn't really lose by taking a medium term length deal unless one assumes he's going to just completely drop off, which doesn't seem likely. 

Sure, there's always the risk of injury, but taking a shorter term deal also allows him to potentially move on if the Canucks at a level he's happy with, or if he wants a change.

I'm not fearmongering Elias's next contract, bottom line is he's simply got the team by the balls. What's the team going to do, not pay him and trade him? It's not as if they're likely to land a top end 1C via UFA. If they plan on contending any time soon they need Pettersson and they know it. The Canucks aren't likely to win a trade that involves moving Pettersson if the goal is to contend. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see players bet on themselves that way, a rising cap will result in top players getting paid more regardless, top players always end up eating most of cap increases. A rising cap doesn't give teams more cap space in the sense that some folks would like, it just means that what players ask for rises along with it. 

Yep you could be right , it comes down to a personal preference. JT took the sure thing but he's got 3 kids so that's a no brainer from a parent pov. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep you could be right , it comes down to a personal preference. JT took the sure thing but he's got 3 kids so that's a no brainer from a parent pov. 

I think with Miller there was also the question of whether he could do it again, but with a family I also understand taking the security. Pettersson has also done it quite a bit younger, and is quite frankly in a different bracket than Miller imo. 

Miller is a top line player whereas Pettersson is arguably a top 10 NHL forward. His high end offense combined with his defensive play is an extremely valuable combination. Benning era management absolutely got that one right because it wasn't a no brainer at the time.

Just now, Coconuts said:

I think with Miller there was also the question of whether he could do it again, but with a family I also understand taking the security. Pettersson has also done it quite a bit younger, and is quite frankly in a different bracket than Miller imo. 

Miller is a top line player whereas Pettersson is arguably a top 10 NHL forward. His high end offense combined with his defensive play is an extremely valuable combination. Benning era management absolutely got that one right because it wasn't a no brainer at the time.

I wonder how close we came to not picking him. <shudders>

Dunno, I have a lot of respect for Petey and how he handles himself. It would suck if he chose short term but I get it. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder how close we came to not picking him. <shudders>

Dunno, I have a lot of respect for Petey and how he handles himself. It would suck if he chose short term but I get it. 

At the end of the day I don't think it'll be 2-3 but I don't think 4-5 is out of the question

Hughes has 2 years on his deal after this season, I expect he'll re-sign but we could have two very large contracts on the books soon because he should at least get what Dahlin just got when you factor in cap increases

Makar is up in three years, gotta think he'll set a new bar for D

Things would look ugly with say.. Glass instead of Pettersson, whole team could look very different 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

At the end of the day I don't think it'll be 2-3 but I don't think 4-5 is out of the question

5 might be OK actually because we'd get his peak years. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Hughes has 2 years on his deal after this season, I expect he'll re-sign but we could have two very large contracts on the books soon because he should at least get what Dahlin just got when you factor in cap increases

yeah there's that too. Hughes will get a massive deal, and he's still just getting better. Peak Hughes might be nuts. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Makar is up in three years, gotta think he'll set a new bar for D

yep. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

5 might be OK actually because we'd get his peak years. 

yeah there's that too. Hughes will get a massive deal, and he's still just getting better. Peak Hughes might be nuts. 

yep. 

I'll miss CDC for being the time capsule it is

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/382800-elias-pettersson-40-c/

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

"Over Vilardi and Glass? Fire Benning please. "

got 20 likes 🤣

Also, I miss BananaMash. What ever happened to him?

Right? Funny how takes can age

He was one of my faves actually, maybe it was the Salo picture, he's kinda vanished over the past few years 

Last time I saw him he was chiming in on the CDC shutdown thread

Looks like he made it over though, because someone took the name @BananaMash

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Right? Funny how takes can age

He was one of my faves actually, maybe it was the Salo picture, he's kinda vanished over the past few years 

Last time I saw him he was chiming in on the CDC shutdown thread

Looks like he made it over though, because someone took the name @BananaMash

Yep Hip had some thoughts 😂

I have my share of awful takes too. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep Hip had some thoughts 😂

I have my share of awful takes too. 

I admittedly wasn't following that draft very closely but I remember leaning more towards Vilardi at the time 

Sometimes things just work out, before we knew it Pettersson was making SHL history 

• Upvote 1

On 10/23/2023 at 1:51 AM, Alflives said:

So we trade away our core guys for picks and deep dive for 3-5 years in hopes of drafting new core guys who are as good as the guys we traded away? 
We have an elite core. And they are young. We will continue to retool the supporting cast. The “moran” is gone and we are seeing much improvement since. 

If Petey is gone, I don't think Hughes stays. And if we lose those two guys, then might as well rebuild. 

• Cheers 1