PTSC: Game #6 VAN @ NSH Oct 24 2023

Goalie29

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

This is not a good metric to look at.  We are floating dangerously close to those hot garbage teams (CHI, WSH, SJS, STL).

image.thumb.png.7a6b7cb6a0f771754f53e94ee2189640.png

It's really early for this kind of data to mean anything. The second game against Edmonton alone is gonna skew things pretty negatively.

Definitely something to keep an eye on but let's have another look after 20 games and maybe then we can make some conclusions.

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

This is not a good metric to look at.  We are floating dangerously close to those hot garbage teams (CHI, WSH, SJS, STL).

I mean, take this with a grain of salt. Calgary is at 3, but their offense is awful. All they do is pass around at the boards until one of their Ds shoots the puck with no one screening the goalie, just hoping for a rebound. They possess and shoot the puck a lot, but it's all low-danger situations. Looks good on paper, except in the standings. Detroit made them look like fools the other day.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, sashimi said:

It's really early for this kind of data to mean anything. The second game against Edmonton alone is gonna skew things pretty negatively.

Definitely something to keep an eye on but let's have another look after 20 games and maybe then we can make some conclusions.

2 hours ago, Rubik said:

I mean, take this with a grain of salt. Calgary is at 3, but their offense is awful. All they do is pass around at the boards until one of their Ds shoots the puck with no one screening the goalie, just hoping for a rebound. They possess and shoot the puck a lot, but it's all low-danger situations. Looks good on paper, except in the standings. Detroit made them look like fools the other day.

I'm not sure if you guys have been watching the games.

Of course it's early.  Doesn't mean that patterns haven't started to emerge already.  We have seen multiple games in both winning and losing efforts where we put up 3 or 4 shots all period.  Our goaltenders have already put in heavy legwork to keep the scores competitive.

We are not a high possession team.  We are a counter-attacking team with an aggressive forecheck.  When we have control, the most common entry tactic is dump and chase.  Doesn't matter if we are winning or losing.  The way we scraped by with a win last game in Florida after turtling up the whole 3rd period?  That is not a winning formula.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

That gives no context, at all.  If a team plays a box +1 as a defensive system, it keeps teams to the outside and limits high quality chances.  So a team might give up zone time, but not give up a lot of goals.  

I'd say the team, though better, is still not confident on the pk and playing aggressive in your own end can lead to a lot more penalties.  To me, it feels like they're working on being disciplined in their own end and trying to avoid penalties.

I'm not disagreeing about Van, as I'd like to see them be more aggressive in their own end, but it is soooo much better than last season.  

• Upvote 1

• -dlc- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
13 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I'm not sure if you guys have been watching the games.

Of course it's early.  Doesn't mean that patterns haven't started to emerge already.  We have seen multiple games in both winning and losing efforts where we put up 3 or 4 shots all period.  Our goaltenders have already put in heavy legwork to keep the scores competitive.

We are not a high possession team.  We are a counter-attacking team with an aggressive forecheck.  When we have control, the most common entry tactic is dump and chase.  Doesn't matter if we are winning or losing.  The way we scraped by with a win last game in Florida after turtling up the whole 3rd period?  That is not a winning formula.  

I’ve been able to watch all 5 games, and agree that we’ve been hemmed in our own zone for nearly 1 period each game. 

5 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

I’ve been able to watch all 5 games, and agree that we’ve been hemmed in our own zone for nearly 1 period each game. 

The worst part of it is that sometimes we aren't even leading.  We are just getting pumped by the other team.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

That gives no context, at all.  If a team plays a box +1 as a defensive system, it keeps teams to the outside and limits high quality chances.  So a team might give up zone time, but not give up a lot of goals.  

I'd say the team, though better, is still not confident on the pk and playing aggressive in your own end can lead to a lot more penalties.  To me, it feels like they're working on being disciplined in their own end and trying to avoid penalties.

I'm not disagreeing about Van, as I'd like to see them be more aggressive in their own end, but it is soooo much better than last season.  

Refer to my second post.  If we were really playing such a tight defensive system, why have our goaltenders looked like superstars each game?  Why are there periods where we get outshot 20-3?  Is that good hockey strategy?

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The worst part of it is that sometimes we aren't even leading.  We are just getting pumped by the other team.

Refer to my second post.  If we were really playing such a tight defensive system, why have our goaltenders looked like superstars each game?  Why are there periods where we get outshot 20-3?  Is that good hockey strategy?

Again, I'm not disagreeing that the Canucks are walking a very thin line, but I do think it's "part of a process".

Edited by stawns

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm more interested in the stats once we've had an equal number of home and road games. 

It's too early to get excited one way or another.

Great point, Bob.  In 4/5 games so far, we’re facing the other coach’s preferred match ups after every whistle.

• Like 3